Anyone use different output levels for different sources?

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    This ^^^^^^^

Give the man a cookie. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    From what little I can gather the op is talking about a trim level function so he can set each source's level individually where they will stay once adjusted. I'm doubting your Onkyo receiver has that function.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Trim levels are for balancing out the sound in a given room, not necessarily volume. Different sources will always sound different for various reasons, different impedance, cabling, etc. The volume control compensates for line voltage, which is why F1NUT suggested simply using it.

When you try to make all sources sound the same volume wise by trim level adjustments, some are not going to sound so good. You sacrifice sound quality in one source for the benefit of equal volume. Using the volume control to compensate is the easiest way without sacrificing sound quality, and guess what ? Every AVR comes with a remote so it doesn't get any easier.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    This is just the case of someone who doesn't understand how to setup a system and is trying to learn how.
    After sifting through all the bull crap I figured out what dude is trying to talk about.

My advise would be to do the following.
    Setup your home theater system exactly how it should be.
    If you like Audyssey then by all means use it. If you find most of your sources don't sound quite right? Well I'm here to tell you to recalibrate without that smack. I hate Audyssey as I think it does more harm then good. I prefer to calibrate my systems manually. If you don't know how to properly calibrate a system , do some research and learn.
    The key is 75DB to all speakers. If your advanced you can slightly tweak from there but usually in most rooms that works great.

As for leveling out sources, some preamps and receivers have input level adjustments. You don't re adjust output levels as thats just mental.
    Adjust each input source to the desired level or use a SPL meter to get each source close to the same level.

Sources are going to sound different due to recording quality, Source quality and transfer cable quality.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Guys, I think everyone is missis it. Below is the best explanation to be found. Listen to all of it, may take a few complete listens but the answer is there. It is a classic.

Let me know your thoughts please.

The lay ear may have problems though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    So -- I'll throw caution to the wind :) and mention here that, in the olden (analog/stereo) days, many "full functioned" (over-functioned!) pre-amps, and some other components, would include trimmer pots for the various inputs to normalize levels when switching from component to component.

The McIntosh preamps of the 1960s and 70s are classic examples -- for all I know, they may still offer such gizmos for their clientele. It's the kind of thing that Mac purchasers seem to like. That and huuuuuuge blue meters and colored LEDs to light up their vacuum tubes. OK, but that's another troll for another day ;)

Anyway, anyway, anyway -- one may see the trimmers towards the top of the frame in this photo of a Mac C28 preamp.

13994155502_05aa52a850_z.jpgC-28 innards by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Heathkit's component kits also tended to have level trimmers; the AR-29 receiver is an example that springs to mind.

16590493929_329473f21b_b.jpgAR-29 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    The OP has a Denon I have a Denon in the secondary HT its rather easy to adjust settings in each source. I ran the calibration and tweaked the other settings manually such as in CD, source, Tuner, Phono, etc etc, its not to complicated. The OP states he does not use tone controls, so basicly, for the solution to his problem the volume control on the remote is his solution no reason to make it difficult when it really is not.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I like the way you talk, you sound like a race car motor.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have a Denon X4100 AVR. I have my Xbox set to be 12db lower than my U-verse. That way when I switch inputs the volume is the same or close enough between the two.

Otherwise my XBOX One at 50 is much louder than my U-verse, hence that setting being used. I found it tends to just be just thbXbox One with that issue. I don't have the same problem with my Squeezebox classic.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Guys, I think everyone is missis it. Below is the best explanation to be found. Listen to all of it, may take a few complete listens but the answer is there. It is a classic.

Let me know your thoughts please.

The lay ear may have problems though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk

I never realized that was part of an automatic transmission. I have always owned a manual, but if my next car does offer both a trifibulator and diktarobitron in its transmission then I will finally buy one. Thanks. Learn something everyday.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    of course, that was back from the days when automatics were simple == "D" and "L".

Nowadays, whoo-boy! I recommend the Fiat-Chrysler nine-speeds. Sooooo many more things to go wrong with them, and packed chock full of the vaunted Fiat-Chrysler engineering, materials sciences, and quality control expertise. Only 10% or so spit flaming parts out onto the pavement as new owners drive their vehicles off the dealers' lots, as I understand it.

;)

PS -- that was excellent. I understand automatic transmissions a bit better now.

• BlueFox
    Options
    Back in the 70s my sister wanted a good stereo so I told her to buy a HK receiver, AR turntable, Shure cartridge, and Advent speakers. In those days Radio Shack ICs and speaker wire were used. Anyways, it sounded great.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I'll never buy a vehicle with an auto transmission, stick shift for life.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

I will always have at least one manual in the stable if possible. ;)
    It makes cars more interesting & just plain more fun to drive. 95 hp and a manual transmission is more fun than 400 hp and auto. OK, I don't really know that :) but I do believe it.

They (manual transmissions) get harder & harder to find, though in new cars. The only one we have at the moment is my '01 Toyota Taco[ma].

Even today, a manual transmission is one of the best forms of vehicle theft protection available. Soon it'll be the best. :)

• BlueFox
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Back in the 70s my sister wanted a good stereo so I told her to buy a HK receiver, AR turntable, Shure cartridge, and Advent speakers. In those days Radio Shack ICs and speaker wire were used. Anyways, it sounded great.

Oops. Wrong thread. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Automatic trannies are way beyond what they once were. A great many have the option to manually shift.....a total blast.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Automatic trannies are way beyond what they once were. A great many have the option to manually shift.....a total blast.

But no clutch, right? -- it's all about the coordination

Obviously, just my perspective, but, heck, I listen to records & tapes and use - and abuse - vacuum tubes.

• Nightfall
    Options
    It's just not the same, I hear you though.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I need a smoke.

One one big fatty, because this turned into one big circle jerk...
  • Nightfall
    Options
    One one? Sounds like you had one already. ;)

• BlueFox
    Options
    Depending on the day of the week I will use different input levels depending on the source.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Easy to say when you live in BFE
    Live where there is traffic, auto Tran becomes a must

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Anybody notice the OP has disappeared?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Easy to say when you live in BFE
    Live where there is traffic, auto Tran becomes a must

I lived in Denver for several years. Still wouldn't have traded it for an auto.

• BlueFox
    Options
    I use a manual in San Jose on 101 during rush hour with no problem. It keeps me alert, and on top of things. When it takes 45 minutes to go 12 miles there is a lot of clutch use.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Automatics are just so uninspiring to drive to me. Plus a manual loses less power than an auto so more power to the wheels less lost to heat, better MPG, and as a broad generality more reliable.

• BlueFox
    Options
    The only time I regretted having a manual was in the late 90s when I had left knee surgery, and couldn't bend my leg for a few weeks. I had to put the seat all the way back, and stiff leg the clutch. The car jumped around like a student driver was at the wheel. LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I use a manual in San Jose on 101 during rush hour with no problem. It keeps me alert, and on top of things. When it takes 45 minutes to go 12 miles there is a lot of clutch use.

Same in Chicago pal, and clutches wear out, cost money. Not for big metro areas in my view. Unless it's those auto trannies that have shift paddles on the steering wheel that work like a manual.....those are a blast.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I bought my car in October 2004 as a 2005 Mazda 3S. Still on the original clutch, although that is in the back of the mind as a future expense.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Automatics are just so uninspiring to drive to me. Plus a manual loses less power than an auto so more power to the wheels less lost to heat, better MPG, and as a broad generality more reliable.

I dunno, the MPG difference isn't that big anymore and as far as more reliable.....how about when that clutch starts to slip. Just one more thing to spend money on. I guess it depends on the type of car, nobody wants a race car that's an automatic. Nobody wants a grocery getter that's a stick shift, right ?

......and nobody wants to be stuck in stop and go traffic for 2 hours with a manual tranny, regardless of the type of car.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's