Building a Dedicated Audio Room

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited January 2008 in 2 Channel Audio
So I am serious about this; I plan to start building in the next 10 days or so. It will be a 10x13x7 room in the basement; will soundproof and treat. Will be posting progress in this thread.
I have put myself a 2 months target. we'll see.

For now, just a few "before" pictures.

Next step, clean up :eek:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ricardo....I gotta ask....how is your wife handling this obsession of yours?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Which obsession???? :)
    Really, every time she mentions something, I remind her of the crazy guy that came all the way from Canada to pick up a pair of SDA-SRS, and show her the picture of your basement ;)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Options
    If that Audio Research box (and what came in it) are in the way of progress - happy to store it here for you for a minimal fee.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I can ship the box if you want it....what came in it might stay for a long while ;)

SOPA
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nice Potential!

Get rid of that Aprilaire humidifier. It's a piece of ****, breeding ground for mold and bacterial. Get a "once through" model, no standing water or pads that breed germs and bacterial. Get an ultraviolet light in there also ti kill microorganisms. A two stage filter would also be nice, a box high efficiency media filter for the big goodies coming down the cold air return and the electronic cleaner to get the tiny particles. The black light will zap the Allergens that are left. About $500 total investment. You will feel the difference, the family will not get as many colds or worse.
    Carl

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited March 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Which obsession???? :)
    Really, every time she mentions something, I remind her of the crazy guy that came all the way from Canada to pick up a pair of SDA-SRS, and show her the picture of your basement ;)

TOOOOOOO FUUUUNNNNY!
    The only one that works for me " My friend gave them to me."

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Nice Potential!

Get rid of that Aprilaire humidifier. It's a piece of ****, breeding ground for mold and bacterial. Get a "once through" model, no standing water or pads that breed germs and bacterial. Get an ultraviolet light in there also ti kill microorganisms. A two stage filter would also be nice, a box high efficiency media filter for the big goodies coming down the cold air return and the electronic cleaner to get the tiny particles. The black light will zap the Allergens that are left. About $500 total investment. You will feel the difference, the family will not get as many colds or worse.

Carl,

Agree on the Aprilaire....never been happy with it; what's a "once through" model? Can you provide an example?

SOPA
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Looks good. Color me green.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Ok; so cleaning is done and I'm ready to start with framing; went to Home Depot and got 80% of what I'm going to need for the whole project (no taping/mudding this time; I'll contract that).
    The sump pump is in one of the corners, so I'll just build a small box there about 8 inches high. Will do the same in the opposite corner to maintain simetry (not that I think it's too important, but I think it will look better).

SOPA
  • engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Options
    What kind of dog do you have?

engtaz
    engtaz

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2007
    Options
    what electronics are you using??
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Congrats Richardo. I am sure it will look great when you are done.

And Joe,
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Ricardo....I gotta ask....how is your wife handling this obsession of yours?
    SAE 8000 Tuner, SAE C102 C-Deck, SAE D102 CD, SAE Mk IM Pre-Amp, SAE 1800 P-Metric EQ, SAE 2800 P-Metric EQ, SAE 2700B EQ, SAE 1700 EQ, SAE 5000A, 2-SAE 4000 X-Over, SAE Mk IVDM 100 wpc, SAE 2400 200 wpc, SAE 2500 300 wpc, Phase Linear 700B 350 wpc, BOSE 1800 250 wpc, 3-BOSE 1801 200 wpc, Sony CX455, Sony 69-ES, PANASONIC DVD S-77, EMOTIVA LMC-1, MSB LINK DAC, ADCOM GDA-600, ADC 100-SL, 2-Technics SL-1100 t-table, 2-HTS 3500 MK2, 2-SVS 20-29, POLK SDA SRS, 2.3tl, 3.1 tl, CSi5, FXi5, ESS-AMT3

Are you sure you have enough gear. Perhaps it's time for a BIGGER house. :D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    What kind of dog do you have?

engtaz

I have a cockapoo (sp); nice little dog, no shedding and has the poodle's intelligence.

SOPA
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    what electronics are you using??

My signature has it; I'm trying a different source though the Raysonic 128; should get here tomorrow.

SOPA
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Get Ty to sign your wall :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options

Not a bad idea; in fact I will dedicate one wall to Polkies signatures. Every Club Polk member that honors me with a visit will stamp their signature in my audio room!!!

SOPA
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Options
    now thats original,, sounds pretty cool actually---Keep on rockin' :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Options
    george you should go and sign the wall. You and HTrookie make great team (inside joke).

signed:admirer of 2.3's and 3.1's of curtain people,
    LOL
    engtaz

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    Options

You have just given me a great idea; at least I think so. Thanks George.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    Options
    :cool: project Ricardo!

Ever thought about a photobucket account? Bigger better pictures w/ no clicking ;):)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    1st wall up!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3393.jpg

SOPA
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hey-
    it might be too late, but have you considered making the room non-rectangular to help kill reflections & standing waves? Just cheating out one wall will help.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • halo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I see acoustic room treatment in his future ;)GIK?
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Yes, lots of panels and bass traps; the room is small enough now, and I don't want to reduce the volume.

P.S. Got my photobucket account...

SOPA
  • halo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I noticed :)

Isn't it nicer this way? ;):D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I take it the soil in your area is very stable. Normally, a ceiling hung wall would be standard to allow for heaving/settling.

Don't forget the acoustic panels
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    markmarc wrote: »
    I take it the soil in your area is very stable. Normally, a ceiling hung wall would be standard to allow for heaving/settling.

Don't forget the acoustic panels

Well, I finished the rest of the basement like this, and that's supposed to be ok; I do think the soil is stable.

I will get acoustic panels for treatments....or you mean something else?

SOPA
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Good luck with the new project.

Your basement looks a lot like mine, right down to where the stairs come down in relation to the already-finished portion.

When I finished mine, I put cross braces between the studs and used liquid nails and screws for the drywall - thought being that it would dampen any wall resonance from music/movies. I don't know if it resulted in any audible improvements, but the walls are rock solid - none of that rattle you get when you pound your fist on most walls.

I've also read of doubling up on the drywall for more sound deadening.

Just some thoughts.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I will use two layers of drywall with Green Glue in between, for wall and ceiling; will also add insulation in the ceiling to help soundproofing. I hope this will isolate me a bit from the rest of the house.

SOPA
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Ricardo!

I have to ask, the foil backed insulation on the top side of the basement wall, is the insulation for the above grade portion of you wall?

I owe you information on the humidifier. Basically, a solenoid valve opens a water valve when the furnace fan motor kicks on. The water flows down a ceramic media inside your hot air duct exiting the furnace. The excess water that is not evaporated collects and drains out to a floor drain (just like the condensate on your AC cooling coil).

Wall looks good! Keep up the good work!
    Carl