Comments

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,620
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Rockport Avior

I see what you're saying. :o

I bet they sounded as good as they look!
    92jtbtmblffc.png

Thankfully I had the chance to listen to a pair of these at the only audio show I attended. Paired up with Moon by Sim Audio monoblocks. Very nice indeed!

I enjoyed my time with the Rockports.

I think if I built another system, I would give them another try.

May I ask the reason you parted with them? As nice as they sounded when I listened to them it put the "point of diminishing returns" into perspective for me. Yes they sounded good but $36,800 better than my system? No.

Because I think my current speakers work better for me than those did.

Synergy is the name of the game man.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • verbverb Posts: 3,327
    halo wrote: »
    Von Schweikert VR2

qkw0302yk9p0.jpg

Love the VTL Pre! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • halohalo Posts: 4,367
    Von Schweikert VR2

qkw0302yk9p0.jpg

Victor, Was this your set-up? The TAD-60 was my first Tube Amp. it was what pushed me over the edge into Tubes. A killer piece that I also wish that I had never sold, should have found another one and used them as Monoblocks!

Yes, this was my setup :)

The speakers were only this close together for the photo.

I purchased the TAD-60's from Paul (RIP) and my ex-wife and I drove out to the UPS store to pick them up. Also got the APC-H10 on that deal. Rich @SCompRacer and @Normanality (RIP) turned me on to these tube amps after a major debacle with Peter McAllister of McAllister Audio, and his tube amps, didn't deliver or arrive as promised/requested.

I used them to bi-amp the VR2 as I was wanting the EL34 on the top end with the KT88 on the bottom end. Didn't really work out as well as I had hoped and the single amp didn't quite have to "power" I was looking for. I eventually sold the VR2 speakers to my brother to fund the purchase of the InnerSound Eros hybrid ESL speakers that both Norm & Rich were running. I tried to use the TAD-60 tube amps to bi-amp the ESL speakers but that was a no go. Ended up with a Sanders (InnerSound) MK II ESL amp on the panels and the InnerSound Active x-over / bass amp on the bottom end.
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,540
    edited October 12
    Not an exotic speaker, but my first pretty decent set - EPI model 2's. I'd love to pick up some model 1's or 2's again for my stash.

About 5 years ago, I traded a set of pristine Sony SS-M7's for a set of Vandersteens. Not disappointed in the Vandy's, but the Sony's had a real coolness factor.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,912
    edited October 14
    ……. Rich @SCompRacer and @Normanality (RIP) turned me on to these tube amps.......

Does Greg still have the VR2's?

The TAD's were great amps!

I had upgraded from '60's to TAD 1000 mono blocks!

hkgnzc3hyjc1.jpg

az642skmab1f.jpg

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,877
    I was pursuing a pair of TAD 100 I think many years ago. They sold before I could snag them though. I’ve always wanted to hear them, but looking back I think there was something like 11 tubes per amp - that’s a ton of expense to play with!
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
13»