Upgrade hdmi cables or not

So I am using mono price hdmi cables. Running lg up970, 4K cable box, all going through Denon avrx 3300w to an lg 4K 65 inch t.v. Speakers are signature s60 towers, s30 center and Polk surrounds. I am looking at audio quest pearl or forest. First question will an upgrade in hdmi cables be noticeable in picture and or sound. Would it be better to go with pearl or forest? Not wanting to create a debate just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    @Manticore has an AQ Forest HDMI, maybe he can chime in.
    Got Dayens?
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,754
    Recently upgraded my B.B. HDMI cables to Shuntaya Venom, on sale. Very noticeable SQ, and slightly noticeable PQ on my plasma.

You will see and especially hear a difference with better cables.

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,118
    I thought that with digital signals it didn’t matter, but I am still kinda new to this whole hobby... analog cables I know for a fact can improve your sound system.
    Just wait till your handing over the big bucks for a 3 foot power cord. :wink:
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • alucidideaalucididea Posts: 103
    firsttimer wrote: »
    So I am using mono price hdmi cables. Running lg up970, 4K cable box, all going through Denon avrx 3300w to an lg 4K 65 inch t.v. Speakers are signature s60 towers, s30 center and Polk surrounds. I am looking at audio quest pearl or forest. First question will an upgrade in hdmi cables be noticeable in picture and or sound. Would it be better to go with pearl or forest? Not wanting to create a debate just looking for opinions. Thanks.
    If you’re looking for a quality cable, I happen to just notice Music Direct is selling the Shunyata Venom HDMI for 50% off at the moment. 2m ends up being $75. It’s such a steal I’m going to grab one for myself...

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/shunyata-venom-hdmi-cable
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    In Canada so looking for something I can get locally which are the two audio quest I mentioned
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,475
    edited April 25
    Next cable on my list but just for SQ. Not necessarily the Shuyata just a quality HDMI for my spinner.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

Denied a few AQ cables a while back, pre 4K. PQ didn’t get any better after the cinnamon line, at least to my eyes.

Personally I didn’t feel price for performance was worth it after cinnamon, so I would call that the sweet spot.

Went with the Shuntaya, because they have a good reputation in the cable, and the were about $50 cheaper, on sale to what I needed versus AQ.

Performance wise, from what I remember, it’s about even between the AQ Cinnamon and the Shuntaya Venom.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    I didn't notice much going from pack in HDMI cables to Wireworld. That isn't to say anything against Wireworld though, I'm doubtful of a huge improvement with any HDMI cable personally. Not a good bang for buck if you have a lot of other upgrades waiting on the bench. What you will get, though, is a much better build quality. With the pack in cables you'll eventually get problems with the picture flickering in and out, etc because of how cheaply they are made. More expensive HDMI cables will last a lot longer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,615
    @sgmsmg

He bought my AQ Diamond HDMI, if there's any improvement he would know, he's got the best AQ has to offer.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,618
    Nightfall wrote: »
    With the pack in cables you'll eventually get problems with the picture flickering in and out, etc because of how cheaply they are made. More expensive HDMI cables will last a lot longer.
    I don't believe you can say that with that much certainty. I have used a LOT of inexpensive, no-name HDMI cables and have yet to have one spontaneously fail. If the cable gets plugged in and remains untouched, hard to see how it could just fail. Now, if you're constantly messing with it, maybe build quality comes into play. Not arguing against better cables, though.

7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,804
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Even more modest Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Premiere+
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,920
    I spent about 50 bucks a pop for my AQ Cinnamon HDMI cables, each one is about 2m (10 feet).

Thats a pretty good deal compared to retail (you just gotta be reaaallll careful who you buy from).

Did it change the picture? Not that I can tell, but I figured for the prices I got em for, why not. I spend a lot more than that a month on other stupid things..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 309
    AudioQuest HDMI cables are 15% off at Best Buy right now.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 4B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton One
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65-Z9F

Home Theater
    Reciever: Yamaha CX-A5100
    Amp: Parasound A21, A31, A51
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (FL, FR, RL, RR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 4 +DSPeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Rocket 88, Pangea SE XLR
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
    Thank you all for your posts and comments I think at this time I will keep using what I have thanks again
  • halenhalen Posts: 351
    I spent about 50 bucks a pop for my AQ Cinnamon HDMI cables, each one is about 2m (10 feet).

Thats a pretty good deal compared to retail (you just gotta be reaaallll careful who you buy from).

Did it change the picture? Not that I can tell, but I figured for the prices I got em for, why not. I spend a lot more than that a month on other stupid things..

Wait. So AQ 2m is 10 feet? Ha. I will need to try out some AQ HDMI cables.
  • alucidideaalucididea Posts: 103
    edited April 26
    halen wrote: »
    Wait. So AQ 2m is 10 feet? Ha. I will need to try out some AQ HDMI cables.
    lol. I thought that was some pretty terrible math, myself.
    Typed it too fast and hit wrong button. I meant to type 3, as in 3m, which is 10 feet
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Typed it too fast and hit wrong button. I meant to type 3, as in 3m, which is 9 feet and a little bit

Fixed*
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    So I have been recommended to go to cinnamon line if I do anything opinions?
    Audioquest's cinnamon is a very good cable, and in my opinion, worth the price for preformance. Others may think it is overpriced, while still others think cables make no difference. I don't think anything higher in Audioquest's food chain is worth the price for preformance, but others may disagree.

I think that there are better cables than what Monoprice has to offer, and anything that Audioquest manufacturers would be of better quality, and improve the picture and sound of your system. You may or may not see an improvement, but that shouldn't mean you shouldn't try another cable brand, especially since you seem to be curious about them.

I think the Pearl cable will offer an improvement over the cable you're currently using, and they're not what I would consider expensive. The forest is a very good cable, and, again in my opinion, reasonably priced. Both are good choices.

Also keep in mind IIRC there IS a lenght after which HDMI cables start to get signal dropout..... That length may be different based on how high quality the innards are.

I've got a 5m Cinnamon I got for a song for my TV connection.

If I had a longer run, for say a projector that went through the wall, I'd also go with a respected brand knowing that I dont want to have to dig it out and redo it later....

But thats me lol...
  • verbverb Posts: 3,320
    I recently bought an AQ Cinnamon USB for my DAC and nearfield setup. Major step up from the generic USB. Even with the nearfield, at moderate listening levels, I could hear a significant difference.

I was a cable denier, but now a believer! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Yes I think I am going to give the cinnamon hdmi a try see what happens.
    I am so confused now. I always knew that speaker and line level cables made a difference, but then power cords made a difference, and now digital cables make a difference? That doesnt make sense to me. I thought the whole thing with digital was that as long as it gets there the signal is exactly the same. I’m so confused. :confused:
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,920
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I am so confused now. I always knew that speaker and line level cables made a difference, but then power cords made a difference, and now digital cables make a difference? That doesn't make sense to me. I thought the whole thing with digital was that as long as it gets there the signal is exactly the same. I’m so confused. :confused:
    I think Skip explained it as different digital cables transfer different amounts of noise with the signal. I would have quoted him, but I can't remember what thread it was in.

2.0 - Marantz NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | Sanus UF30 | OC703 Panels

6.1 - Pio Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | Monster HTS 5000 | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | PS Audio Power Port Classic x2 | OC703 Panels
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,920
    edited April 28
    Here it is, in reference to usb cables...
    DSkip wrote: »
    It's not about the data - its about the noise that travels through the system. A digital cable is still an analog cable. How the DATA is transmitted doesn't matter as much as how the NOISE is transmitted.
    2.0 - Marantz NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | Sanus UF30 | OC703 Panels

6.1 - Pio Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | Monster HTS 5000 | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | PS Audio Power Port Classic x2 | OC703 Panels
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 310
    edited April 28
    But the Dac only reads zeros and ones. This is processed and decoded, then a new analog signal makes it out. There is no trace of the original digital signal after processing. Why would you expect a small amount of noise picked up by a digital cable to come thru?

Ooohhh ok. I see now. So it just reduces the noise floor. Interesting.
    delkal wrote: »
    But the Dac only reads zeros and ones. This is processed and decoded, then a new analog signal makes it out. There is no trace of the original digital signal after processing. Why would you expect a small amount of noise picked up by a digital cable to come thru?

This is what keeps bugging me about digital cables, it’s only 0s and 1s and I don’t think that that noise is gonna be either a 0 or a 1, at least it’s very unlikely methinks. Analog cables yes, it’s gonna reproduce everything but I still don’t totally understand.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,820
    delkal wrote: »

Jitter
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    edited April 28
    I just recently decided to try some AudioQuest Forest HDMI and USB cables after reading about Ken's experience with them over the years. I was using Rocketfish and Monoprice HDMI cables before.

When I first swapped in the two HDMIs between the Roku, TiVo and the TV, I thought I noticed a reduction in jaggedness in picture quality. Display seemed a bit sharper, less artifacty, without going soft.

I'd have to make time for a critical comparison session to be certain and offer more information, but I do find myself realizing now from time to time that my picture quality seems particularly nice; just clean and sharp. Been about 3 months now, I think.

I'd venture you'll see at least that and/or better with the AQ Cinnamon.