Upgrade hdmi cables or not

So I am using mono price hdmi cables. Running lg up970, 4K cable box, all going through Denon avrx 3300w to an lg 4K 65 inch t.v. Speakers are signature s60 towers, s30 center and Polk surrounds. I am looking at audio quest pearl or forest. First question will an upgrade in hdmi cables be noticeable in picture and or sound. Would it be better to go with pearl or forest? Not wanting to create a debate just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    @Manticore has an AQ Forest HDMI, maybe he can chime in.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Recently upgraded my B.B. HDMI cables to Shuntaya Venom, on sale. Very noticeable SQ, and slightly noticeable PQ on my plasma.

You will see and especially hear a difference with better cables.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I thought that with digital signals it didn’t matter, but I am still kinda new to this whole hobby... analog cables I know for a fact can improve your sound system.
    Just wait till your handing over the big bucks for a 3 foot power cord. :wink:
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    firsttimer wrote: »
    So I am using mono price hdmi cables. Running lg up970, 4K cable box, all going through Denon avrx 3300w to an lg 4K 65 inch t.v. Speakers are signature s60 towers, s30 center and Polk surrounds. I am looking at audio quest pearl or forest. First question will an upgrade in hdmi cables be noticeable in picture and or sound. Would it be better to go with pearl or forest? Not wanting to create a debate just looking for opinions. Thanks.
    If you’re looking for a quality cable, I happen to just notice Music Direct is selling the Shunyata Venom HDMI for 50% off at the moment. 2m ends up being $75. It’s such a steal I’m going to grab one for myself...

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/shunyata-venom-hdmi-cable
  • In Canada so looking for something I can get locally which are the two audio quest I mentioned
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    Next cable on my list but just for SQ. Not necessarily the Shuyata just a quality HDMI for my spinner.
  • rpf65
    Denied a few AQ cables a while back, pre 4K. PQ didn’t get any better after the cinnamon line, at least to my eyes.

Personally I didn’t feel price for performance was worth it after cinnamon, so I would call that the sweet spot.

Went with the Shuntaya, because they have a good reputation in the cable, and the were about $50 cheaper, on sale to what I needed versus AQ.

Performance wise, from what I remember, it’s about even between the AQ Cinnamon and the Shuntaya Venom.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I didn't notice much going from pack in HDMI cables to Wireworld. That isn't to say anything against Wireworld though, I'm doubtful of a huge improvement with any HDMI cable personally. Not a good bang for buck if you have a lot of other upgrades waiting on the bench. What you will get, though, is a much better build quality. With the pack in cables you'll eventually get problems with the picture flickering in and out, etc because of how cheaply they are made. More expensive HDMI cables will last a lot longer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    @sgmsmg

He bought my AQ Diamond HDMI, if there's any improvement he would know, he's got the best AQ has to offer.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Nightfall wrote: »
    With the pack in cables you'll eventually get problems with the picture flickering in and out, etc because of how cheaply they are made. More expensive HDMI cables will last a lot longer.
    I don't believe you can say that with that much certainty. I have used a LOT of inexpensive, no-name HDMI cables and have yet to have one spontaneously fail. If the cable gets plugged in and remains untouched, hard to see how it could just fail. Now, if you're constantly messing with it, maybe build quality comes into play. Not arguing against better cables, though.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I spent about 50 bucks a pop for my AQ Cinnamon HDMI cables, each one is about 2m (10 feet).

Thats a pretty good deal compared to retail (you just gotta be reaaallll careful who you buy from).

Did it change the picture? Not that I can tell, but I figured for the prices I got em for, why not. I spend a lot more than that a month on other stupid things..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    AudioQuest HDMI cables are 15% off at Best Buy right now.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Thank you all for your posts and comments I think at this time I will keep using what I have thanks again
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I spent about 50 bucks a pop for my AQ Cinnamon HDMI cables, each one is about 2m (10 feet).

Thats a pretty good deal compared to retail (you just gotta be reaaallll careful who you buy from).

Did it change the picture? Not that I can tell, but I figured for the prices I got em for, why not. I spend a lot more than that a month on other stupid things..

Wait. So AQ 2m is 10 feet? Ha. I will need to try out some AQ HDMI cables.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    edited April 2018
    halen wrote: »
    Wait. So AQ 2m is 10 feet? Ha. I will need to try out some AQ HDMI cables.
    lol. I thought that was some pretty terrible math, myself.
  • EndersShadow
    Typed it too fast and hit wrong button. I meant to type 3, as in 3m, which is 10 feet
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mlistens03
    Typed it too fast and hit wrong button. I meant to type 3, as in 3m, which is 9 feet and a little bit

Fixed*
  • So I have been recommended to go to cinnamon line if I do anything opinions?
  • rpf65
    Audioquest's cinnamon is a very good cable, and in my opinion, worth the price for preformance. Others may think it is overpriced, while still others think cables make no difference. I don't think anything higher in Audioquest's food chain is worth the price for preformance, but others may disagree.

I think that there are better cables than what Monoprice has to offer, and anything that Audioquest manufacturers would be of better quality, and improve the picture and sound of your system. You may or may not see an improvement, but that shouldn't mean you shouldn't try another cable brand, especially since you seem to be curious about them.

I think the Pearl cable will offer an improvement over the cable you're currently using, and they're not what I would consider expensive. The forest is a very good cable, and, again in my opinion, reasonably priced. Both are good choices.

• EndersShadow
    Also keep in mind IIRC there IS a lenght after which HDMI cables start to get signal dropout..... That length may be different based on how high quality the innards are.

I've got a 5m Cinnamon I got for a song for my TV connection.

If I had a longer run, for say a projector that went through the wall, I'd also go with a respected brand knowing that I dont want to have to dig it out and redo it later....

But thats me lol...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I recently bought an AQ Cinnamon USB for my DAC and nearfield setup. Major step up from the generic USB. Even with the nearfield, at moderate listening levels, I could hear a significant difference.

I was a cable denier, but now a believer! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Yes I think I am going to give the cinnamon hdmi a try see what happens.
  • mlistens03
    I am so confused now. I always knew that speaker and line level cables made a difference, but then power cords made a difference, and now digital cables make a difference? That doesnt make sense to me. I thought the whole thing with digital was that as long as it gets there the signal is exactly the same. I’m so confused. :confused:
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I am so confused now. I always knew that speaker and line level cables made a difference, but then power cords made a difference, and now digital cables make a difference? That doesn't make sense to me. I thought the whole thing with digital was that as long as it gets there the signal is exactly the same. I’m so confused. :confused:
    I think Skip explained it as different digital cables transfer different amounts of noise with the signal. I would have quoted him, but I can't remember what thread it was in.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited April 2018
    Here it is, in reference to usb cables...
    DSkip wrote: »
    It's not about the data - its about the noise that travels through the system. A digital cable is still an analog cable. How the DATA is transmitted doesn't matter as much as how the NOISE is transmitted.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    But the Dac only reads zeros and ones. This is processed and decoded, then a new analog signal makes it out. There is no trace of the original digital signal after processing. Why would you expect a small amount of noise picked up by a digital cable to come thru?

• mlistens03
    Ooohhh ok. I see now. So it just reduces the noise floor. Interesting.
    delkal wrote: »
    But the Dac only reads zeros and ones. This is processed and decoded, then a new analog signal makes it out. There is no trace of the original digital signal after processing. Why would you expect a small amount of noise picked up by a digital cable to come thru?

This is what keeps bugging me about digital cables, it’s only 0s and 1s and I don’t think that that noise is gonna be either a 0 or a 1, at least it’s very unlikely methinks. Analog cables yes, it’s gonna reproduce everything but I still don’t totally understand.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    delkal wrote: »

Jitter
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited April 2018
    I just recently decided to try some AudioQuest Forest HDMI and USB cables after reading about Ken's experience with them over the years. I was using Rocketfish and Monoprice HDMI cables before.

When I first swapped in the two HDMIs between the Roku, TiVo and the TV, I thought I noticed a reduction in jaggedness in picture quality. Display seemed a bit sharper, less artifacty, without going soft.

I'd have to make time for a critical comparison session to be certain and offer more information, but I do find myself realizing now from time to time that my picture quality seems particularly nice; just clean and sharp. Been about 3 months now, I think.

I'd venture you'll see at least that and/or better with the AQ Cinnamon.
    I disabled signatures.