Vintage Mini Monitors $125

elitt
elitt Posts: 162
edited March 2018 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
These are fairly clean and perform fairly well. The drivers appear to be from Bose 901's, the proper equivalent to the originals as researched on the vintage forum.

Everything else presents as original and I don't think they were ever tampered with.

$125 pick up in Flatiron neighborhood in NYC. The peerless alone are probably worth it. I'd like this pair to end up with someone who will recap/enjoy/etc. but if you buy to flip so be it.

If my pricing is off I'd appreciate knowing.s78c9a9vfes7.jpeg
dslf8uw67hkl.jpeg
99bdyl8zy3ip.jpeg

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I would think a closer replacement would be from a 9 or 9a, but those are hen's teeth. I wonder if doping them would get them closer to spec.

Sry, I don't mean to derail the FS thread, GLWS.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Those look like the original driver and PR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    The PR is correct, but all versions that I've seen have doped cones on the driver as well. Also the frame and gasket are different than what I've seen.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    True, those drivers are not doped, but otherwise appear identical. Wonder if they were using up drivers from the Model 9 in this one?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I would think a closer replacement would be from a 9 or 9a, but those are hen's teeth. I wonder if doping them would get them closer to spec.

$1.25? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • elitt
    verb wrote: »

Well, if the drivers are original...8mb90j6q82va.jpg
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    elitt wrote: »

Well, if the drivers are original...8mb90j6q82va.jpg

Have to consult @FestYboy , as he is our own CP certified appraiser! :smile:

Edited to add: Welcome to CP @elitt !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    F1nut wrote: »
    Wonder if they were using up drivers from the Model 9 in this one?

All M9 drivers I've seen have had their surrounds coated in a clear silicone like substance. Not discounting the possibility though.

Then again, mine seem to be the only ones with an alternate configuration... Odd.
  • elitt
    elitt wrote: »

Have to consult @FestYboy , as he is our own CP certified appraiser! :smile:

Edited to add: Welcome to CP @elitt !

been here for years, selling post 100 points. should I just give these away to someone who will enjoy them?
  • FestYboy
    You know I would!! :smiley:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    no interest in shipping them?
  • FestYboy
    I vote Doc gets them! All in favor?
  • elitt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    no interest in shipping them?

I could. Not sure I trust myself. I'll hope for pickup and stay in touch.
  • mhardy6647
    I am interested, but I certainly understand your reticence to pack & ship if you're uncomfortable with so doing.

NYC's not that far away geographically -- but psychologically/philosophically it's a great gulf indeed for me ;)
  • mhardy6647
    FWIW, and it's not a great scan, but this is what the original morph of the Mini-Monitor looked like:

iytig45wy3jz.png

Not the arrangement of the drivers & the trapezoidal box. It does look like the "midwoofer" cone was indeed coated. I really don't remember any more :p

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Second in line if shipping becomes an option.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboy
    Hey! They look like mine! Doc do you have a year for that ad?
  • mhardy6647
    Hey! They look like mine! Doc do you have a year for that ad?
    ]

yeah, hold on a minute...

that ad scan is from Audio magazine, Sept. 1977

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180156/a-project-for-2018-compendium-of-polk-audio-ads-etc/p1

• mhardy6647
    @Nightfall, if the OP'll ship 'em, take 'em!
  • FestYboy
    Hot damn! I love having info like that. Thanks Doc.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2018

FlawlessGeneralDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

EDIT: I thought I read "If the OP'll ship 'em, I'll take 'em!" Did you miss a word on accident or did you change your mind?

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    elitt, you could pull a driver and check the back for a label or markings.
    That might satisfy everyone's curiosity. I don't think they're original.

Here ya go.
    ixgb0pido78y.jpeg
  • FestYboy
    Wow the passives in that picture are different too! Curiouser and curiouser..
  • verb
    Malbec wrote: »

Here ya go.
    ixgb0pido78y.jpeg

Nice pic! @mhardy6647 looks like an addition to your compendium thread!
  • mhardy6647
    Nightfall wrote: »

FlawlessGeneralDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

EDIT: I thought I read "If the OP'll ship 'em, I'll take 'em!" Did you miss a word on accident or did you change your mind?

No -- I meant you take 'em :)
    I have enough stuff for the moment, you know?
  • mhardy6647
    Malbec wrote: »

Here ya go.
    ixgb0pido78y.jpeg

Thank you for posting that! I remember that brochure -- I think I even had a copy way back when... but I know I don't now!

Do you happen to have a good quality scan of the brochure that is stylistically similar to that one, but has the 5, 7 and 10 on it? It'd be very cool to get a copy of that!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

:(

• Nightfall

There's two different vintage Mini Monitors. The OPs are newer than the B&W pictured ones by a bit I believe.

• mhardy6647
    yes, that is my recollection/belief (FWIW).
  • FestYboy
    Nightfall wrote: »

There's two different vintage Mini Monitors. The OPs are newer than the B&W pictured ones by a bit I believe.

So I'll assume I have a series II version of the Auto variant??
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Sorry Doc,
    Sadly, this is the only Polk Brochure to survive the great purge of '92.
    I had boxes of brochures and catalogs that went to the landfill.

Art,
    Polk had an over excursion problem with the original PR's. When driven past their threshold, they would make a loud popping sound and be ruined. I had the PR's in mine replaced and shortly thereafter polk went with the weighted PR that yours have.

Backside of brochure
    5l907ung0a28.jpeg