Moving large speakers with spikes

I have spikes on my 1Cs. Every once in a while I need to move them. The blade on my hand truck is about 14 inches wide. The spikes are about 15 inches apart. Currently I walk the speakers on to a thin piece of plywood and then slide the blade under the plywood. I really don’t like the idea of putting al the weight on one spike when walking them. Any ideas, tricks or suggestion would be appreciated.
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 913
    Bear hug them? That's what I do with my SDA IIs. I'm only 150Lbs and it's not that bad.

Or make yourself a small dolly, then you and a friend use appliance straps to lift and place on it.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 754
    If the blade is 14" wide and the spikes are 15" apart, is there any reason why you can't center the blade between the spikes and tilt the hand truck towards you until the spikes clear the ground? What am I missing here?
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
    If I'm not mistaken, the spike tips are at 15" and if that's the case, the hand truck blade will contact the bevel of the spike and put stress in the wrong direction, potentially bending or otherwise damaging the base.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,302
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If the blade is 14" wide and the spikes are 15" apart, is there any reason why you can't center the blade between the spikes and tilt the hand truck towards you until the spikes clear the ground? What am I missing here?

Either that or put the plywood on the blade, tilt the speaker back and slide the hand truck under the speaker, drop the speaker down onto the plywood and wheel away to your heart's content.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 633
    edited December 6
    Another option is to very carefully lay them flat and temporarily replace the spikes with the original flat bottomed feet with felt pads stuck to them. It's nerve wracking laying a pair of 1.2s down but I was able to do it alone without any problems. With felt pads stuck to to bottom of the original flat bottomed feet this is how I easily slid my spiked 1.2s across the room and back with no damage to the floor.
    modded polk 1.2tl's+dreadnaught, mcintosh c100, d100, mr7084, mvp831, bridged mc2500's+ mit cables
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,709
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I'm only 150Lbs and ....

.....bless his little tiny heart.......

I'll hug you if you're not careful big boy >:)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,605
    Another option is to very carefully lay them flat and temporarily replace the spikes with the original flat bottomed feet with felt pads stuck to them. It's nerve wracking laying a pair of 1.2s down but I was able to do it alone without any problems. With felt pads stuck to to bottom of the original flat bottomed feet this is how I easily slid my spiked 1.2s across the room and back with no damage to the floor.

That’s why I keep a refrigerator dolly in my storage shed. It also comes in hand when I need to reposition them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,709

6'3" 215lbs...reach up and hold on tight, scooter!
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,563
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • TNTsTunesTNTsTunes Posts: 510

Mount those on a couple of pieces of plywood for the spikes to grab a hold of and they should work nice. Just make a slide for each half of the speaker so all you need to do is tilt them some to get each slider board under them.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,033
    lightman1 wrote: »

6'3" 215lbs...reach up and hold on tight, scooter!

Unless you grew your fear the beard back out you're just a tall lady. Lady parts included.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 633
    [quote="nooshinjohn;c-2363960"

That’s why I keep a refrigerator dolly in my storage shed. It also comes in hand when I need to reposition them.[/quote]

Good idea but I didn't want any spike marks in my floor where I was temporarily placing them...........on the long wall where they sounded better just like I thought they would.
    modded polk 1.2tl's+dreadnaught, mcintosh c100, d100, mr7084, mvp831, bridged mc2500's+ mit cables
    If I'm not mistaken, the spike tips are at 15" and if that's the case, the hand truck blade will contact the bevel of the spike and put stress in the wrong direction, potentially bending or otherwise damaging the base.

So, in other words, if the spikes are 15" on center and they have a radius of more than 1/2", a diameter of more than one inch, or a circumference of more than 3.14 inches, they will contact the blade of the hand truck. Sound logic. :p
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    F1nut wrote: »
    Either that or put the plywood on the blade, tilt the speaker back and slide the hand truck under the speaker, drop the speaker down onto the plywood and wheel away to your heart's content.

This calls for a hoverboard with an SDA upgrade! :D
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,216
    edited December 6
    I have a set of round wood drink coasters I put one under each spike. I can slide them all over the carpet. If your floors are hardwood, put felt protectors on the bottom of the coaster.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,115
    edited December 6
    Viking64 wrote: »

He could also make a platform out of 2x4 and plywood to go on the tongue of the hand truck. It would help it is something i did. Goes right between the spikes and there is no space between the tongue and the speaker. Fits perfectly under the speaker.
  • I like Festy's 'bear hug' idea but dropping one of these suckers on your foot would be interesting.

With my SRS's i don't have that option. Too damn heavy. I do have a pair of 1A's that are manageable. If i had spikes on those speakers i'd probably get a sheet of polystyrene insulation and set the speakers on that. It's easy to cut, and you can get it in a thickness that will prevent the spikes from driving all the way through to the flooring.

EZ-PZ.
    Polk SDA SRS 1.2
    Yamaha M-65 (2x, bi-amped)
    Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Polk CS400 center
    Polk MC-60 4x Atmos
    Polk AB700 side surround