Hybrid vehicles

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,243
    nbrowser wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The aforementioned Escape was very trouble free -- for the aforementioned 246,616 miles. We figured the batteries or the CVT would die and render it not worthy of repair, but it was in fact endemic Ford structural rust (in the vicinity of the rear axle -- you can see a little external rust on the fender in the photo I posted) that rendered it not worth further investment last summer.

As an aside, my 2000 Ford Focus ZX-3 succumbed to a similar cancer a couple of years back -- we'd passed it along to our daughter & son-in-law. The ZX-3 had 250k on it when the rear axle basically lost its attachment to the rest of the car :/

hrm we've had to fix a non starting Escape Hybrid...but it had nothing to do with the computer, battery or electrical system. Seems Escapes have a lousy gearbox that connects the ignition cylinder to the ignition switch. It gets loose with use over time. Yes there's gears between the key and switch, also affects the gas only versions so it's not a Hybrid issue alone. Easy fix for the Escape although it requires steering wheel removal. Other than that, the Escape Hybrid, was a solid vehicle.

Interesting -- we and our son-in-law's parents both had 05 Escape Hybrids (for a long time) and didn't experience that, nor had I heard about it until now! :/

Both family's succumbed to rust around the rear suspension, which is a common Escape malady with which we were familiar. The quote was $4k to restore. Heh.

Glad the ignition was an easy fix!

I should mention that the in-laws also had a Fusion Hybrid (forget the year, maybe 2013, give or take). Last year, it developed -- interesting -- brake system issues. They have ditched it and fairly recently got a Chevy Volt which they really like.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• K_MK_M Posts: 938
    Emlyn wrote: »
    In my market today, I could buy a 2017 Nissan Versa for $9,900 or a 2017 Toyota Prius Two for $23,000. The cheapest hybrid vehicle is going to be about double the cost of a Versa. The Versa is about as cheap as cars come these days. It does have AC but a 5 speed manual and hand crank roll down windows. Both the Versa and Prius Two are rated at 39 mpg on the highway. Put another way, the price difference between a cheapo Versa and the cheapest Prius is about $13,000 or 5,200 gallons of regular gas or 202,000 miles of driving if they do indeed get the same fuel economy. Of course, a Versa may not make it that far. :)

To me, hybrids are not a cheap transportation option but primarily a lifestyle choice.

Yes, but in real life driving, my Prius, will easily get Far more on the highway, well over 50 mpg usually.
    I agree a stripper Versa is cheaper overall, but not nearly as refined or quick, or roomy or quiet or in fact, barely comparable overall.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,021
    Yes, I've spent some time in the Fusion Hybrid forum and some of the early 2013s - referred to as Job 1 cars - had some issues. I purchased mine late in the model year, and have had relatively few issues in 96k miles.

I'm not an expert, but I understand that the Fords share technology with Toyota. Evidently, the hybrid drive system they use is relatively less complex than other manufacturers, so reliability is fairly high. I have nothing but good to say about our cars so far. I had one issue where a harness was not fastened securely and a wire shorted, causing my fuel gauge to go haywire. Turned out to be an easy fix, but was difficult to find. No major mechanical issues or anything involving the hybrid system. Knock on wood.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,243
    edited June 18
    The in-laws' Fusion gave "Brake System Failure" messages on at least two occasions. As I recall the story (which may not be correct), the dealers to which they took it (they tried several before giving up on it) could not identify a root cause. Given the potential consequences of the intermittent, they decided to throw in the towel on the Ford and go Volt.

Strictly an anecdotal datapoint, but kind of disturbing.

As an aside, when the kids were in school, in the DC/Baltimore area, we often used to rent a Prius if we flew down to BWI. The Priuses (Prii?) never failed to return 50-ish mpg in DC/MD beltway/back road driving. The Prius is a decent sized car; I quite like them, but Mrs. H isn't convinced they're up to our hill in the wintertime. This despite the fact that there are several of 'em living further up the hill than we do.

In fairness, in the midst of one storm, a couple years back, one Prius & its owner gave up at our driveway. It parked and she walked :) but I don't know if they had snow tires on it.

I gave up my 2011 Fiesta 5-speed (which I quite liked) because of our hill & wintertime :)
    The Fiesta got good mileage (40 mpg average in the three-plus years I owned) although it was a little underpowered (not frighteningly so, though). Said Fiesta is now in the possession of our aforementioned daughter & son-in-law. It's now over 100k miles, and has had no non-routine maintenance nor repair performed to date. Still getting 40 mpg too.

As an editorial aside, the Versa is a very bare-bones car. Nothing wrong with 5-speed nor manual windows (indeed, I prefer both), but the Versa is, overall, a very nominal piece of hardware. Our son looked at 'em but was far (far) more pleased with the Fit (albeit a more expensive automobile, but probably still a much better value than the Versa).
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,907
    As an editorial aside, the Versa is a very bare-bones car. Nothing wrong with 5-speed nor manual windows (indeed, I prefer both), but the Versa is, overall, a very nominal piece of hardware. Our son looked at 'em but was far (far) more pleased with the Fit (albeit a more expensive automobile, but probably still a much better value than the Versa).

The Versa is definitely a POS, but it is loaded compared to the 1988 Dodge Shadow I had. Air bags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, CD player. Only things it is lacking are the automatic "strangler" motorized seat belts and possibly paint that starts to peel off the hood and top after 6 months, brake rotors that have warped after 1K miles, engine seals that have to be replaced at 8K miles, and a spare tire well that rots out and drops onto the beam axle underneath while cruising down the highway. It did make it to 80K miles without leaving anyone stranded though. :)

We've come a long way.

1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Pioneer Elite SC-97; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 105D; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Samsung UHD 4K Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Parasound A21; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004; Music Hall MMF7 and PS Audio NuWave phono pre; Technics SL-1200MKII and PS Audio GCPH phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE pre and Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Squeezebox Touch; Wyred4Sound DAC2; MIT S3 cables
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,996
    The aforementioned Escape was very trouble free -- for the aforementioned 246,616 miles. We figured the batteries or the CVT would die and render it not worthy of repair, but it was in fact endemic Ford structural rust (in the vicinity of the rear axle -- you can see a little external rust on the fender in the photo I posted) that rendered it not worth further investment last summer.

As an aside, my 2000 Ford Focus ZX-3 succumbed to a similar cancer a couple of years back -- we'd passed it along to our daughter & son-in-law. The ZX-3 had 250k on it when the rear axle basically lost its attachment to the rest of the car :/

hrm we've had to fix a non starting Escape Hybrid...but it had nothing to do with the computer, battery or electrical system. Seems Escapes have a lousy gearbox that connects the ignition cylinder to the ignition switch. It gets loose with use over time. Yes there's gears between the key and switch, also affects the gas only versions so it's not a Hybrid issue alone. Easy fix for the Escape although it requires steering wheel removal. Other than that, the Escape Hybrid, was a solid vehicle.

Interesting -- we and our son-in-law's parents both had 05 Escape Hybrids (for a long time) and didn't experience that, nor had I heard about it until now! :/

Both family's succumbed to rust around the rear suspension, which is a common Escape malady with which we were familiar. The quote was $4k to restore. Heh.

Glad the ignition was an easy fix!

I should mention that the in-laws also had a Fusion Hybrid (forget the year, maybe 2013, give or take). Last year, it developed -- interesting -- brake system issues. They have ditched it and fairly recently got a Chevy Volt which they really like.

It's actually a common issue on heavily used vehicles with a ton of start ups. Then again where I live rust isn't really a killer as it is in your neck of the woods, vehicles tend to last a long long time and get high mileage like my own personal ride but that's another thread.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,764
    Vehicles that last a long time ? High miles ? C'mon Ken, that's not good for the economy . Buy a new one every 3-4-5 years pal, do your part. :)

I jest obviously, I guess some still find value in things made to last, I know I do.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    Vehicles that last a long time ? High miles ? C'mon Ken, that's not good for the economy . Buy a new one every 3-4-5 years pal, do your part. :)

I jest obviously, I guess some still find value in things made to last, I know I do.

My truck is 19 years old, 278,000ish miles after conversion from 448,000Km (higher numbers are impressive!). I put 200Km on it daily for my commute and she doesn't complain an runs like a scalded cat when you press the go pedal. Love that old F150 :)
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

My truck is 19 years old, 278,000ish miles after conversion from 448,000Km (higher numbers are impressive!). I put 200Km on it daily for my commute and she doesn't complain an runs like a scalded cat when you press the go pedal. Love that old F150 :)

....and what's the best part Ken ? C'mon...say it, SAY IT...
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,460
    You must drive like a grandma John.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,246
    K_M wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Cant see me ever buying one.

Live in a rural area, haul and pull stuff with my pick-up. Get about 20 mpg on hwy and 18 mpg in the city. Then again I drive my work truck home, so only put about 6 or 7 thousand miles a year on my personal truck.

Fuel economy isn't a big issue with me. If a vehicle is a fashion statement, I prefer V-8's.

I think the O.P. asked "Who has a hybrid car, and has experience with them", not "Who hates Hybrid cars" :s

He never said he hated hybrid cars.......HELLO!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

It's paid for? :)
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,999
    I have to admit that I drive a Neon as somewhat of a status symbol.

| Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion

It's paid for? :)

Amen brother, and for a long time. I can think of plenty of other things to do with 5k a year in car payments.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet