Hybrid vehicles

2»

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Yes, I've spent some time in the Fusion Hybrid forum and some of the early 2013s - referred to as Job 1 cars - had some issues. I purchased mine late in the model year, and have had relatively few issues in 96k miles.

I'm not an expert, but I understand that the Fords share technology with Toyota. Evidently, the hybrid drive system they use is relatively less complex than other manufacturers, so reliability is fairly high. I have nothing but good to say about our cars so far. I had one issue where a harness was not fastened securely and a wire shorted, causing my fuel gauge to go haywire. Turned out to be an easy fix, but was difficult to find. No major mechanical issues or anything involving the hybrid system. Knock on wood.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017
    The in-laws' Fusion gave "Brake System Failure" messages on at least two occasions. As I recall the story (which may not be correct), the dealers to which they took it (they tried several before giving up on it) could not identify a root cause. Given the potential consequences of the intermittent, they decided to throw in the towel on the Ford and go Volt.

Strictly an anecdotal datapoint, but kind of disturbing.

As an aside, when the kids were in school, in the DC/Baltimore area, we often used to rent a Prius if we flew down to BWI. The Priuses (Prii?) never failed to return 50-ish mpg in DC/MD beltway/back road driving. The Prius is a decent sized car; I quite like them, but Mrs. H isn't convinced they're up to our hill in the wintertime. This despite the fact that there are several of 'em living further up the hill than we do.

In fairness, in the midst of one storm, a couple years back, one Prius & its owner gave up at our driveway. It parked and she walked :) but I don't know if they had snow tires on it.

I gave up my 2011 Fiesta 5-speed (which I quite liked) because of our hill & wintertime :)
    The Fiesta got good mileage (40 mpg average in the three-plus years I owned) although it was a little underpowered (not frighteningly so, though). Said Fiesta is now in the possession of our aforementioned daughter & son-in-law. It's now over 100k miles, and has had no non-routine maintenance nor repair performed to date. Still getting 40 mpg too.

As an editorial aside, the Versa is a very bare-bones car. Nothing wrong with 5-speed nor manual windows (indeed, I prefer both), but the Versa is, overall, a very nominal piece of hardware. Our son looked at 'em but was far (far) more pleased with the Fit (albeit a more expensive automobile, but probably still a much better value than the Versa).
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As an editorial aside, the Versa is a very bare-bones car. Nothing wrong with 5-speed nor manual windows (indeed, I prefer both), but the Versa is, overall, a very nominal piece of hardware. Our son looked at 'em but was far (far) more pleased with the Fit (albeit a more expensive automobile, but probably still a much better value than the Versa).

The Versa is definitely a POS, but it is loaded compared to the 1988 Dodge Shadow I had. Air bags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, CD player. Only things it is lacking are the automatic "strangler" motorized seat belts and possibly paint that starts to peel off the hood and top after 6 months, brake rotors that have warped after 1K miles, engine seals that have to be replaced at 8K miles, and a spare tire well that rots out and drops onto the beam axle underneath while cruising down the highway. It did make it to 80K miles without leaving anyone stranded though. :)

We've come a long way.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Vehicles that last a long time ? High miles ? C'mon Ken, that's not good for the economy . Buy a new one every 3-4-5 years pal, do your part. :)

I jest obviously, I guess some still find value in things made to last, I know I do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    nbrowser wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Vehicles that last a long time ? High miles ? C'mon Ken, that's not good for the economy . Buy a new one every 3-4-5 years pal, do your part. :)

I jest obviously, I guess some still find value in things made to last, I know I do.

My truck is 19 years old, 278,000ish miles after conversion from 448,000Km (higher numbers are impressive!). I put 200Km on it daily for my commute and she doesn't complain an runs like a scalded cat when you press the go pedal. Love that old F150 :)

....and what's the best part Ken ? C'mon...say it, SAY IT...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    You must drive like a grandma John.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    K_M wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Cant see me ever buying one.

Live in a rural area, haul and pull stuff with my pick-up. Get about 20 mpg on hwy and 18 mpg in the city. Then again I drive my work truck home, so only put about 6 or 7 thousand miles a year on my personal truck.

Fuel economy isn't a big issue with me. If a vehicle is a fashion statement, I prefer V-8's.

I think the O.P. asked "Who has a hybrid car, and has experience with them", not "Who hates Hybrid cars" :s

He never said he hated hybrid cars.......HELLO!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I have to admit that I drive a Neon as somewhat of a status symbol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPO2Zxbnnw
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb

My truck is 19 years old, 278,000ish miles after conversion from 448,000Km (higher numbers are impressive!). I put 200Km on it daily for my commute and she doesn't complain an runs like a scalded cat when you press the go pedal. Love that old F150 :)

....and what's the best part Ken ? C'mon...say it, SAY IT...

It's paid for? :)

Amen brother, and for a long time. I can think of plenty of other things to do with 5k a year in car payments.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's