Keeping Nuke's Safe (Were So F'ed)

gimpodgimpod Posts: 1,683
And you thought Russia had problems with nuke's, If you've got Netflix check this out "Command and Control".

Or if your a PBS member go here "Command and Control"

I think I'm going to do what SAC is doing, Stick my head in the sand and ignore it.

This is scary!!
"If you design software that any moron can use only morons will use it." JMO
---
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately for most of us we only get to experience the first day and then we can't even remember it.
---
"Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and Thermonuclear Weapons."
"50% Why... That's almost half."
"I know, I'm sick and need help."
----
www.gimpod.com
----
"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Comments

• warrenwarren Posts: 521
    Dum de dum dum...... ta ta!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,346
    I have been watching the kind of morons they put in charge of serious stuff all of my life and I am surprised that we are still here. Well maybe we are not and we are just batteries in pods filled with slime?
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
  • gimpodgimpod Posts: 1,683
    @afterburnt have you been watching "Year Million"
    ---
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately for most of us we only get to experience the first day and then we can't even remember it.
    ---
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,346
    gimpod wrote: »
    @afterburnt have you been watching "Year Million"

Nope, just been watching
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 14,811
    Y'all might enjoy this book :)

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Raven-Rock/Garrett-M-Graff/9781476735405

raven-rock-9781476735405_lg.jpg

Heard an interview with the author on VT public radio a coupla weeks back -- sounds like a fun read :)

http://digital.vpr.net/post/raven-rock-and-us-governments-flawed-plan-survive-nuclear-attack#stream/0
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,404
    Watching the scary things and actually putting hands on them are two different things. Watch it again, and notice who is actually in charge, and who is staying out of the way.

There are situations where rank means little compared to experience, or in this case the better trained sudordinates.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,493
    Nukes, a necessary evil to deter evil. Only....once one person pulls the trigger, they all will, and that sends everyone to the graveyard or stone age.

Accidents happen though, for whatever reason, just look at the nuclear power plant fiascos we've had here, Russia/Japan. A missile crisis ? Bound to happen, be it from stupidity or unseen circumstances.

Seems to me though, common sense has left the building and complacency has set in. Would one consider it wise to have nuclear anything near a fault line ? I dunno, but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 222
    but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.

Murphy's Law *always* wins. And is unforgiving.
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,738
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls
    Also, it's been reported that parts of our systems still utilize floppy disks
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver PM-600

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,149
    ^^know why they still use the floppy? It can't be hacked.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
    ^^know why they still use the floppy? It can't be hacked.
    Didn't know that was the reason.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps

dhsspeakerservice.com/

• motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,149
    edited June 13
    I didn't know it either until I saw it on , I think 60 minutes. They were given a tour of a launch control site. They look so archaic not much changed since the 50's/60's. Although they need updated they are reluctant to do so as it would make the systems vulnerable to hacking.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,756
    I didn't know it either until I saw it on , I think 60 minutes. They were given a tour of a launch control site. They look so archaic not much changed since the 50's/60's. Although they need updated they are reluctant to do so as it would make the systems vulnerable to hacking.

A good reason why newer isn't always better. Hey Micro$oft...look here hint hint (Win8/10 BS spyware)
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nukes, a necessary evil to deter evil. Only....once one person pulls the trigger, they all will, and that sends everyone to the graveyard or stone age.

Accidents happen though, for whatever reason, just look at the nuclear power plant fiascos we've had here, Russia/Japan. A missile crisis ? Bound to happen, be it from stupidity or unseen circumstances.

Seems to me though, common sense has left the building and complacency has set in. Would one consider it wise to have nuclear anything near a fault line ? I dunno, but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.

@tonyb if you watched this did you notice near the end that the head guy of the agency that's suppose to insure nuke safety was shocked to find out that there has been over 1000 reported U.S. accidents alone, Don't forget about the Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. It has yet to be found.
    ---

---
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

@tonyb if you watched this did you notice near the end that the head guy of the agency that's suppose to insure nuke safety was shocked to find out that there has been over 1000 reported U.S. accidents alone, Don't forget about the Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. It has yet to be found.

LOL, ya know pal, I heard about that even before and it makes ya wonder why nobody thinks this is a priority to find a lost nuclear bomb. You would think with the technology we have today, oh well.....once it goes off, they'll know where it is, right ?

After all, more important issues occupy the military's time, like sex changes for traitors and transgender policies. Of course one must take these stories with a grain of salt also. Who knows, could be a cover story for a sold nuclear bomb. Wouldn't be the first time the military used a cover story to hide crap. One has to wonder, the lack of desire to find this thing tells me ......is it really missing ?
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,211
    "Feelings" over "fusion".

That sounds fair. And all-inclusive.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,365
    The Mk15 off of Savannah cannot self detonate. What I heard about that weapon is that it was not fused, meaning the detonator needed to start the chain reaction required to explode was never installed. The weapon itself is safe, but the material in it will someday be exposed to sea water and be a contamination nightmare.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • Strong BadStrong Bad Posts: 4,145
    I have to laugh at all the preppers building underground bunkers and stocking them with supplies claiming..."We'll have what we need to ride out a nuclear holcaust."

If there is a Nuclear Holocaust...the best thing for me is to get vaporized instantly. No way do I want to be around for the aftermath.

Blinding flash of light...gone.
    No excuses!
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I have to laugh at all the preppers building underground bunkers and stocking them with supplies claiming..."We'll have what we need to ride out a nuclear holcaust."

If there is a Nuclear Holocaust...the best thing for me is to get vaporized instantly. No way do I want to be around for the aftermath.

[emphasis added]

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,307

I don't know. Ever play Fallout?

9x63uiae6tyw.jpeg

Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Cool man, myself on the other hand, I'll gladly take up the responsibility of having to re-populate the planet. ;)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet

Cool man, myself on the other hand, I'll gladly take up the responsibility of having to re-populate the planet. ;)

Careful what you wish for -- natural selection might not select for the most... shall we say... attractive breeding stock relative to pre-fallout expectations ;)

mhardy6647 wrote: »

Careful what you wish for -- natural selection might not select for the most... shall we say... attractive breeding stock relative to pre-fallout expectations ;)

2 words for ya Professor,

Paper
    Bags
    :)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Point.
    Taken.

:)

(as long as a few survive the fireball, eh?)

• ROHfanROHfan Posts: 1,004
    If there's a nuclear launch my family and I are going to go and catch it with out bare hands. I agree with Strong Bad. We're all gonna die, anyway.
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,365
    edited June 18
    ROHfan wrote: »
    If there's a nuclear launch my family and I are going to go and catch it with out bare hands. I agree with Strong Bad. We're all gonna die, anyway.
    Not entirely true. It will depend on the type of exchange. The U.S., Russia, and other nation states will never release a full scale attack on the other. What is seen as the most likely would be an EMP attack, which would devastate infrastructure, essentially knocking the United States back to a Pre 1850 type of existence. The ability to mount such an attack is very nearly in the hands of Iran and North Korea. It is expected that 50% of the U.S. population would die off within a year in such a scenario, but not from radiation.

The key to surviving this scenario is preparation.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...

The key to surviving this scenario is preparation.

Is there an iPhone app for that? ;)

18741700823_4ec84ea83a_b.jpg002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

LOL, ya know pal, I heard about that even before and it makes ya wonder why nobody thinks this is a priority to find a lost nuclear bomb. You would think with the technology we have today, oh well.....once it goes off, they'll know where it is, right ?

After all, more important issues occupy the military's time, like sex changes for traitors and transgender policies. Of course one must take these stories with a grain of salt also. Who knows, could be a cover story for a sold nuclear bomb. Wouldn't be the first time the military used a cover story to hide crap. One has to wonder, the lack of desire to find this thing tells me ......is it really missing ?

For all we know maybe the Russians found it before we did.

Why do you think I live with in a couple (as 2) miles of a major aircraft manufacturing plant. :sweat_smile: Ground Zero!
    ---

---
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,888

For all we know maybe the Russians found it before we did.

Why do you think I live with in a couple (as 2) miles of a major aircraft manufacturing plant. :sweat_smile: Ground Zero!

I live about 10 miles from Wright Patterson AFB. Air force Logistics Command. Might survive the blast, but would be baked like a potato.
    edited June 18
    I live between Barnes Airport and the 104th Fighter Wing, and Westover AFB, which was decommissioned, but still in use. I'll be Krispy Krème too.
    BTW Tony You Got Mail.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Den:

dhsspeakerservice.com/