Keeping Nuke's Safe (Were So F'ed)

gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
And you thought Russia had problems with nuke's, If you've got Netflix check this out "Command and Control".

Or if your a PBS member go here "Command and Control"

I think I'm going to do what SAC is doing, Stick my head in the sand and ignore it.

This is scary!!
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Dum de dum dum...... ta ta!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have been watching the kind of morons they put in charge of serious stuff all of my life and I am surprised that we are still here. Well maybe we are not and we are just batteries in pods filled with slime?
  • gimpod
    @afterburnt have you been watching "Year Million"
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    gimpod wrote: »
    @afterburnt have you been watching "Year Million"

Nope, just been watching
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Watching the scary things and actually putting hands on them are two different things. Watch it again, and notice who is actually in charge, and who is staying out of the way.

There are situations where rank means little compared to experience, or in this case the better trained sudordinates.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nukes, a necessary evil to deter evil. Only....once one person pulls the trigger, they all will, and that sends everyone to the graveyard or stone age.

Accidents happen though, for whatever reason, just look at the nuclear power plant fiascos we've had here, Russia/Japan. A missile crisis ? Bound to happen, be it from stupidity or unseen circumstances.

Seems to me though, common sense has left the building and complacency has set in. Would one consider it wise to have nuclear anything near a fault line ? I dunno, but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.

Murphy's Law *always* wins. And is unforgiving.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls
    Also, it's been reported that parts of our systems still utilize floppy disks
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^know why they still use the floppy? It can't be hacked.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • westmassguy
    ^^know why they still use the floppy? It can't be hacked.
    Didn't know that was the reason.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    I didn't know it either until I saw it on , I think 60 minutes. They were given a tour of a launch control site. They look so archaic not much changed since the 50's/60's. Although they need updated they are reluctant to do so as it would make the systems vulnerable to hacking.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gimpod
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nukes, a necessary evil to deter evil. Only....once one person pulls the trigger, they all will, and that sends everyone to the graveyard or stone age.

Accidents happen though, for whatever reason, just look at the nuclear power plant fiascos we've had here, Russia/Japan. A missile crisis ? Bound to happen, be it from stupidity or unseen circumstances.

Seems to me though, common sense has left the building and complacency has set in. Would one consider it wise to have nuclear anything near a fault line ? I dunno, but one accident is all it takes, and that to me is inevitable.

@tonyb if you watched this did you notice near the end that the head guy of the agency that's suppose to insure nuke safety was shocked to find out that there has been over 1000 reported U.S. accidents alone, Don't forget about the Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. It has yet to be found.
  • tonyb

@tonyb if you watched this did you notice near the end that the head guy of the agency that's suppose to insure nuke safety was shocked to find out that there has been over 1000 reported U.S. accidents alone, Don't forget about the Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. It has yet to be found.

LOL, ya know pal, I heard about that even before and it makes ya wonder why nobody thinks this is a priority to find a lost nuclear bomb. You would think with the technology we have today, oh well.....once it goes off, they'll know where it is, right ?

After all, more important issues occupy the military's time, like sex changes for traitors and transgender policies. Of course one must take these stories with a grain of salt also. Who knows, could be a cover story for a sold nuclear bomb. Wouldn't be the first time the military used a cover story to hide crap. One has to wonder, the lack of desire to find this thing tells me ......is it really missing ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    "Feelings" over "fusion".

That sounds fair. And all-inclusive.
    Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    The Mk15 off of Savannah cannot self detonate. What I heard about that weapon is that it was not fused, meaning the detonator needed to start the chain reaction required to explode was never installed. The weapon itself is safe, but the material in it will someday be exposed to sea water and be a contamination nightmare.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I have to laugh at all the preppers building underground bunkers and stocking them with supplies claiming..."We'll have what we need to ride out a nuclear holcaust."

If there is a Nuclear Holocaust...the best thing for me is to get vaporized instantly. No way do I want to be around for the aftermath.

Blinding flash of light...gone.
    No excuses!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I have to laugh at all the preppers building underground bunkers and stocking them with supplies claiming..."We'll have what we need to ride out a nuclear holcaust."

If there is a Nuclear Holocaust...the best thing for me is to get vaporized instantly. No way do I want to be around for the aftermath.

[emphasis added]

https://youtu.be/sP0YWt4o8HA
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

I don't know. Ever play Fallout?

9x63uiae6tyw.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb

Cool man, myself on the other hand, I'll gladly take up the responsibility of having to re-populate the planet. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647

Cool man, myself on the other hand, I'll gladly take up the responsibility of having to re-populate the planet. ;)

Careful what you wish for -- natural selection might not select for the most... shall we say... attractive breeding stock relative to pre-fallout expectations ;)
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Careful what you wish for -- natural selection might not select for the most... shall we say... attractive breeding stock relative to pre-fallout expectations ;)

2 words for ya Professor,

Paper
    Bags
    :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Point.
    Taken.

:)

(as long as a few survive the fireball, eh?)
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    If there's a nuclear launch my family and I are going to go and catch it with out bare hands. I agree with Strong Bad. We're all gonna die, anyway.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited June 2017
    ROHfan wrote: »
    If there's a nuclear launch my family and I are going to go and catch it with out bare hands. I agree with Strong Bad. We're all gonna die, anyway.
    Not entirely true. It will depend on the type of exchange. The U.S., Russia, and other nation states will never release a full scale attack on the other. What is seen as the most likely would be an EMP attack, which would devastate infrastructure, essentially knocking the United States back to a Pre 1850 type of existence. The ability to mount such an attack is very nearly in the hands of Iran and North Korea. It is expected that 50% of the U.S. population would die off within a year in such a scenario, but not from radiation.

The key to surviving this scenario is preparation.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647

The key to surviving this scenario is preparation.

Is there an iPhone app for that? ;)

18741700823_4ec84ea83a_b.jpg002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• gimpod
    LOL, ya know pal, I heard about that even before and it makes ya wonder why nobody thinks this is a priority to find a lost nuclear bomb. You would think with the technology we have today, oh well.....once it goes off, they'll know where it is, right ?

After all, more important issues occupy the military's time, like sex changes for traitors and transgender policies. Of course one must take these stories with a grain of salt also. Who knows, could be a cover story for a sold nuclear bomb. Wouldn't be the first time the military used a cover story to hide crap. One has to wonder, the lack of desire to find this thing tells me ......is it really missing ?

For all we know maybe the Russians found it before we did.

Why do you think I live with in a couple (as 2) miles of a major aircraft manufacturing plant. :sweat_smile: Ground Zero!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021

For all we know maybe the Russians found it before we did.

Why do you think I live with in a couple (as 2) miles of a major aircraft manufacturing plant. :sweat_smile: Ground Zero!

I live about 10 miles from Wright Patterson AFB. Air force Logistics Command. Might survive the blast, but would be baked like a potato.
  • westmassguy
    edited June 2017
    I live between Barnes Airport and the 104th Fighter Wing, and Westover AFB, which was decommissioned, but still in use. I'll be Krispy Krème too.
    BTW Tony You Got Mail.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gimpod
    I live between Barnes Airport and the 104th Fighter Wing, and Westover AFB, which was decommissioned, but still in use. I'll be Krispy Krème too.
    BTW Tony You Got Mail.

After seeing "The Road" I'd rather go up in a mushroom cloud than try to survive the aftermath, There's more to life than just barely surviving.

Thanks David, I got it.