I want to try a decent (inexpensive) USB cable for a portable HD

So it will need the A and Micro? What do yall suggest?

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,929
    Maybe I should have put this in "WTB"?
    Can I move it?
    I found an Audioquest forest on Amazon for 35 bucks. Any opinions?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,907
    afterburnt wrote: »

Its OK. The carbon is much better, but more expensive. Give it a shot and see what happens.
    For that kind of money I would go with a Wireworld. Problem is all of my portables are USB 3.0
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,353
    According to a very recent common sense theory, 90% of the people here believe cables don't matter.......

............so based on that, buy the cheapest you can find.

:tongue:

H9
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 6,612
    heiney9 wrote: »
    According to a very recent common sense theory, 90% of the people here believe cables don't matter.......

............so based on that, buy the cheapest you can find.

:tongue:

H9

I'm offended
    Reported..........

3 out of 4 people make up 75 percent of the worlds population
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 839

Not bad, like skip said worth a shot,

Whatever you do stay away from the bargain 99 cent cables even if it's a 1 meter.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,859
    60% of the time it works every time.
    Is there anything else that I should look at? I know it's not a huge investment but I have no idea what else is out there. I would go with Wireworld but they don't have an inexpensive USB 3.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,514
    just get the AQ cinnamon 3.0
    79 bucks, that is fast approaching the Starlight.
    3.0 or no 3.0....then get the forests...quit being difficult :D
    Otay!
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 839
    Get the Audioquest, if you don't want to spend the cash on that go Belkin. All of my portable drive cables are Belkin, been using them for years and never had a problem.

• Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,250
    3 out of 4 people make up 75 percent of the worlds population

But the problem is that you don't know which three they are.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Posts: 1,591
    Are the same theories some people use to justify the value of expensive cables for analog signals applicable for the transmission of digital signals?

I would be real surprised if there was an audible difference between USB cables unless one was defective or had no conductivity.

Before anyone decides to attack me over this, notice I said "I'd be surprised" not that I am better than everyone else or anything like that. lol
    edited April 13
    Let's not run this thread into the ground. He didn't ask if there are differences in cables. He asked for a low priced cable that people might have experience with.

H9

P.s. I'm not saying your comment is an issue, just a general plea to everyone to keep it on track, myself included
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,907
    I never wanted to believe there were differences either. Now I have the top of the line Wireworld and have zero regrets about that decision.

This coming from a guy who tried for over a year or two to find a better speaker cable than my $100 used PNF. I've tried several cables in the $3-5k range and none did better until I got the Equinox in. This is all to say that sometimes bias isn't what it seems from those on the outside looking in.

It's all about noise. Eliminating it gives you better sound and every component in the rig is a culprit.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,360
    Are the same theories some people use to justify the value of expensive cables for analog signals applicable for the transmission of digital signals?

I would be real surprised if there was an audible difference between USB cables unless one was defective or had no conductivity.

Before anyone decides to attack me over this, notice I said "I'd be surprised" not that I am better than everyone else or anything like that. lol

TROLL
    edited April 13
    DSkip wrote: »
    I never wanted to believe there were differences either. Now I have the top of the line Wireworld and have zero regrets about that decision.

This coming from a guy who tried for over a year or two to find a better speaker cable than my $100 used PNF. I've tried several cables in the $3-5k range and none did better until I got the Equinox in. This is all to say that sometimes bias isn't what it seems from those on the outside looking in.

It's all about noise. Eliminating it gives you better sound and every component in the rig is a culprit.

That's interesting. So with the cheaper USB cable you could hear "noise" over it transmitting a digital signal?

Maybe that would fall into the category of some kind of external interference or something since digital is basically just a 0 or 1? But then, unlike an audio cable, there is power flowing through the USB cable too so maybe that would make sense.

In any case, I wouldn't have expected any difference since it is kind of like an all-or-nothing when it comes to digital.
    I'm in the IT, integration business and like electronic gadgets and toys.

Without getting into the audible part. I've used upgraded HDMI's, USB, phone cables etc, just the fact they are made better and last a lot long especially ones for portable devices.

Have watched speed tests improve with better USB's while data transferring with better cables. Would attribute to better quality builds, and metals.
    Let's not run this thread into the ground. He didn't ask if there are differences in cables. He asked for a low priced cable that people might have experience with.

H9

P.s. I'm not saying your comment is an issue, just a general plea to everyone to keep it on track, myself included

Unlike F1's typical personal attack, my post has direct relevance to the OP's question. He's looking for an inexpensive "decent" USB cable. I never really knew there were any "bad" ones per say which is why I asked the question.

Which ones aren't decent?
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'm in the IT, integration business and like electronic gadgets and toys.

Without getting into the audible part. I've used upgraded HDMI's, USB, phone cables etc, just the fact they are made better and last a lot long especially ones for portable devices.

Have watched speed tests improve with better USB's while data transferring with better cables. Would attribute to better quality builds, and metals.

That's kind of what I would expect for digital. If a real cheapo one has "noise" maybe it's just the basic build quality that sucks?

I would think most (if not all) USB cables would be "decent" as long as they aren't defective in some way. I wouldn't expect to see any difference between say a $10 USB cable and a $5,000 one. Maybe between a 50 cent one and a $10 one though.
    edited April 13
    never mind.........hopeless
    never mind.........hopeless

What's that supposed to mean?
    Decent, for how long? If it is something you plug and unplug seen to many start getting cr@ppy
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Decent, for how long? If it is something you plug and unplug seen to many start getting cr@ppy

Yeah that's a good point right there. USB does get a lot more abuse (physical wear & tear) than most other cables.
  • machonemachone Posts: 699
    I use a Starlight 7 and have always been happy with the sound and build quality.

I have an extra Starlight 7 STM (Type A to Mini x .5 meter) that I no longer need. You said you need a Micro so maybe a no-go.
    I paid $90 and will let it go for $50 if you pay for the shipping.
    PM me if you are interested.
    Machone thanks for the offer but it has to be usb 3. I think i mentioned that somewhere.