I want to try a decent (inexpensive) USB cable for a portable HD

So it will need the A and Micro? What do yall suggest?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Maybe I should have put this in "WTB"?
  • afterburnt
    Can I move it?
  • afterburnt
    I found an Audioquest forest on Amazon for 35 bucks. Any opinions?
  • afterburnt
    For that kind of money I would go with a Wireworld. Problem is all of my portables are USB 3.0
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    According to a very recent common sense theory, 90% of the people here believe cables don't matter.......

............so based on that, buy the cheapest you can find.

:tongue:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    heiney9 wrote: »
    According to a very recent common sense theory, 90% of the people here believe cables don't matter.......

............so based on that, buy the cheapest you can find.

:tongue:

H9

I'm offended
    Reported..........

• afterburnt
    3 out of 4 people make up 75 percent of the worlds population
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    afterburnt wrote: »

Not bad, like skip said worth a shot,

Whatever you do stay away from the bargain 99 cent cables even if it's a 1 meter.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    60% of the time it works every time.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Is there anything else that I should look at? I know it's not a huge investment but I have no idea what else is out there. I would go with Wireworld but they don't have an inexpensive USB 3.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    just get the AQ cinnamon 3.0
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    79 bucks, that is fast approaching the Starlight.
  • txcoastal1
    3.0 or no 3.0....then get the forests...quit being difficult :D
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Get the Audioquest, if you don't want to spend the cash on that go Belkin. All of my portable drive cables are Belkin, been using them for years and never had a problem.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    3 out of 4 people make up 75 percent of the worlds population

But the problem is that you don't know which three they are.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Are the same theories some people use to justify the value of expensive cables for analog signals applicable for the transmission of digital signals?

I would be real surprised if there was an audible difference between USB cables unless one was defective or had no conductivity.

Before anyone decides to attack me over this, notice I said "I'd be surprised" not that I am better than everyone else or anything like that. lol
  • heiney9
    edited April 2017
    Let's not run this thread into the ground. He didn't ask if there are differences in cables. He asked for a low priced cable that people might have experience with.

H9

P.s. I'm not saying your comment is an issue, just a general plea to everyone to keep it on track, myself included
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Are the same theories some people use to justify the value of expensive cables for analog signals applicable for the transmission of digital signals?

I would be real surprised if there was an audible difference between USB cables unless one was defective or had no conductivity.

Before anyone decides to attack me over this, notice I said "I'd be surprised" not that I am better than everyone else or anything like that. lol

TROLL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    I never wanted to believe there were differences either. Now I have the top of the line Wireworld and have zero regrets about that decision.

This coming from a guy who tried for over a year or two to find a better speaker cable than my $100 used PNF. I've tried several cables in the $3-5k range and none did better until I got the Equinox in. This is all to say that sometimes bias isn't what it seems from those on the outside looking in.

It's all about noise. Eliminating it gives you better sound and every component in the rig is a culprit.

That's interesting. So with the cheaper USB cable you could hear "noise" over it transmitting a digital signal?

Maybe that would fall into the category of some kind of external interference or something since digital is basically just a 0 or 1? But then, unlike an audio cable, there is power flowing through the USB cable too so maybe that would make sense.

In any case, I wouldn't have expected any difference since it is kind of like an all-or-nothing when it comes to digital.
  • txcoastal1
    I'm in the IT, integration business and like electronic gadgets and toys.

Without getting into the audible part. I've used upgraded HDMI's, USB, phone cables etc, just the fact they are made better and last a lot long especially ones for portable devices.

Have watched speed tests improve with better USB's while data transferring with better cables. Would attribute to better quality builds, and metals.

• Gatecrasher
    Let's not run this thread into the ground. He didn't ask if there are differences in cables. He asked for a low priced cable that people might have experience with.

H9

P.s. I'm not saying your comment is an issue, just a general plea to everyone to keep it on track, myself included

Unlike F1's typical personal attack, my post has direct relevance to the OP's question. He's looking for an inexpensive "decent" USB cable. I never really knew there were any "bad" ones per say which is why I asked the question.

Which ones aren't decent?
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'm in the IT, integration business and like electronic gadgets and toys.

Without getting into the audible part. I've used upgraded HDMI's, USB, phone cables etc, just the fact they are made better and last a lot long especially ones for portable devices.

Have watched speed tests improve with better USB's while data transferring with better cables. Would attribute to better quality builds, and metals.

That's kind of what I would expect for digital. If a real cheapo one has "noise" maybe it's just the basic build quality that sucks?

I would think most (if not all) USB cables would be "decent" as long as they aren't defective in some way. I wouldn't expect to see any difference between say a $10 USB cable and a $5,000 one. Maybe between a 50 cent one and a $10 one though.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2017
    never mind.........hopeless
  • Gatecrasher
    never mind.........hopeless

What's that supposed to mean?
  • txcoastal1
    Decent, for how long? If it is something you plug and unplug seen to many start getting cr@ppy

• Gatecrasher
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Decent, for how long? If it is something you plug and unplug seen to many start getting cr@ppy

Yeah that's a good point right there. USB does get a lot more abuse (physical wear & tear) than most other cables.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I use a Starlight 7 and have always been happy with the sound and build quality.

I have an extra Starlight 7 STM (Type A to Mini x .5 meter) that I no longer need. You said you need a Micro so maybe a no-go.
    I paid $90 and will let it go for $50 if you pay for the shipping.
    PM me if you are interested.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • afterburnt
    Machone thanks for the offer but it has to be usb 3. I think i mentioned that somewhere.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I have a straight 7 as well. A great USB cable.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993

Although I haven't tested USB cables between HD and player/computer, I have found noticeable differences in USB cables between player and DAC. A few of the head-to-head comparisons were blind tested. I would rank the ones I've tried in this order (cable, $ paid mostly used):

WW Starlight 7 Platinum, $360
    Curious Cable $120
    DH Labs Silver Sonic Mirage $94
    WW Starlight Silver $200
    WW Starlight Red $49
    WW UV (purple) $56
    AQ Carbon $50
    AQ Forest $35
    Freebies $0
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet