Took delivery of my 3rd and final system but a problem

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Send it all back, none of it is even close to 8/10.

Hey Jesse @F1nut

I know you're good with wood working. Would you be able to fix something like this? I would take it apart and just send you the base.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    $400 back for some chips on stands that cost $550 brand new doesn't seem fair. I'd be happy with $100 back.

I dunno about a $100 refund. Stands are not sourceable, they cannot be resold in this condition. If this were disclosed prior to the sale, I would say not a penny over 1500$ from me.

Essentially the stands are nearly a loss from the resale and market value perspective.

Looks like a massive ding to me... Who's going to buy this from me if it comes down to it?

zipt51bxsx3v.jpeg

Post edited by Joey_V on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    It.........was............ME!!!
    I suplexed your package while en route!

I thought about fire but that was so 2016! Bwahahaha... :p

I so hate u
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Ahh been there. That sucks, but bound to happen at some point. Buying used is risky and having it shipped is leaving yourself open to be taken advantage of. Good luck getting any money back, I think you got screwed.

Doubt it. It was via PayPal/audiogon. They have significant buyers protection.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Took a few photos of the box the stands came in...

I don't see any significant damage to the box. The Saran Wrap is beat up (I always ask for the seller to Saran Wrap all packages) but I don't see lacerations to the box or huge corner dings.

The stands were in bubble wrap and Saran Wrap, I just don't see how one of the bases can have 3 dings on it with 1 large enough to crack the corner and lacquer.

1jousgnjdp0z.jpeg
    lzh8f1vidwg9.jpeg
    llhbiocf86pb.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bingo, it's what you pay for and what was disclosed as terms of the sale, not what you have to accept because it's "OCD".

cfrizz wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    It's a very usable system. The scuff on the baffle is minor and with the grill u can't see them.

The stand crack is actually hidden because it is in the rear and towards the media console so it is invisible from the front. It's only that I know it's there and when I resell it'll hit me.

Though I doubt I would ever resell since I enjoy these little guys.

Let's be realistic here.

You like the system and everything works. No one can see it, it is ONLY because you know that it is there. You don't think you are going to resell them.

So WTH are you *itching about? What does your wife say? If she doesn't have a problem with it....sit down shut the hell up and just enjoy!

And then search out a therapist to help you get over your OCD!

When I got my used Sunfire amp, there were a couple of scratches on it in the front but the amp worked just fine. So I took a black permanent marker and ran it over the scratches. I could no longer see them and simply forgot about them. Now I can't even find where the damn scratches are and I've been enjoying the benefits of the amp for over 10 years!

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    I think it all depends on how badly you want to keep it, and the likelihood of the same speakers/stands going back up for sale. If you can deal to "settle" for something else, I would be sending them back regardless of how the damage occurred. I would bet it happened in shipping, even if there are no major dings in the box, things can shift in the box in hit each other if not packaged perfectly.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Joey_V
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I think it all depends on how badly you want to keep it, and the likelihood of the same speakers/stands going back up for sale. If you can deal to "settle" for something else, I would be sending them back regardless of how the damage occurred. I would bet it happened in shipping, even if there are no major dings in the box, things can shift in the box in hit each other if not packaged perfectly.

I'm sure I can find another pm1 combo.... Just gotta play the waiting game I suppose. I'll see what he says with regards to the partial refund.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options

My Vote also, you didn't receive what you "thought" you purchased. There are ALWAYS other speakers and stands available, just might take a little time to acquire.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Who's going to buy this from me if it comes down to it?

If I was in the market for those stands I would considering the discount for the damage and the fact that you can't see it when they're being used.

That's just me though. I also drive a 20 year old Honda Civic and live in a 80+ year old studio apartment so that I can allocate more of my meager funds to other things. Neither of which are in flawless condition nor bothers me at all. If I lived in a house like you do maybe my opinion wouldn't be the same, who's to say.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Joey hit the guy up and just ask if it was this way when it left his hands. If he is a stand up guy and has good feedback he'll be honest. After that work it out between the two of you. If he starts flaking then hammer him and be prepared to loose back to him or the shipper.
    It sucks but man shart happens.

Jesse hit it on the head.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I feel bad asking for a partial refund because I know he was probably wanting top dollar for the item (he's buying a new set of Bowers and Wilkins speakers), so I feel him too.

But then again, I also don't want to make it a habit to be taken for a ride.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Me I'm to OCD I wouldn't be able to enjoy the tunes knowing that those stands are banged up like that, hope that helps Joey. I would seek a partial refund and have them repaired, if the seller is willing to offer a partial refund, if not send them back.

However if I had purchased said items knowing that the damage was already there and they were priced accordingly because of the flaws then different story. It seems the damage was undisclosed so if you are able to get some cash back because of it I'm sure it would ease your OCD tendencies.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Price repair. Ask for that amount back, or you return.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Joey_V
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Me I'm to OCD I wouldn't be able to enjoy the tunes knowing that those stands are banged up like that, hope that helps Joey. I would seek a partial refund and have them repaired, if the seller is willing to offer a partial refund, if not send them back.

However if I had purchased said items knowing that the damage was already there and they were priced accordingly because of the flaws then different story. It seems the damage was undisclosed so if you are able to get some cash back because of it I'm sure it would ease your OCD tendencies.

I am a little OCD for sure, like I said if this were my main system... No way. That thing is pristine (knock on wood) that's why I bought brand new. Even had the dealer delivery guys wear white gloves.

Caught my dad touching the speakers last night... I was like "noooooo" Vader style.

But with this I can be lenient as long as I know what i got myself into and am fairly compensated for it.

I would say $400 back and I'm a happy camper again. If it really bugs me and I see another stand for sale
    Then I'll use that money to buy one or if a pm1 combo pops up I can buy it and resell the speakers and keep the stand.

Someone here was kind enough to Pm me that they might be able to fix. How nice is this group here?!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the stand parts were wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in the box? Bubble wrap does not protect corners of objects that shift around in a box during handling. It just provides cushion on flat surfaces. If original packing was not used for them they probably shifted in the box. FedEx would not be required to pay out on the insurance.

I would ask for a refund on the stands since they were damaged and put the money to a different pair of stands that would be of a better and more sturdy design. Looks like the only thing the stands have going for them is they match the speakers and have the B&W name on them. I don't view the cost of repairing the stands as worth it as the repair may be more than the stands are really worth.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Late on the party. First congrats on a great sounding speaker. I do like the pm1 quite a bit. The stand if I am looking at it right looks like it got slammed with a vacuum if it's on the bottom corner? I had an x that I lived with a long time ago that did that to one of my speakers. After that she nor anyone else was allowed to vacuum my music room.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Late on the party. First congrats on a great sounding speaker. I do like the pm1 quite a bit. The stand if I am looking at it right looks like it got slammed with a vacuum if it's on the bottom corner? I had an x that I lived with a long time ago that did that to one of my speakers. After that she nor anyone else was allowed to vacuum my music room.

BINGO!

There's scuff marks.

And the packaging is pristine.

That's why I'm kinda... :|
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the stand parts were wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in the box? Bubble wrap does not protect corners of objects that shift around in a box during handling. It just provides cushion on flat surfaces. If original packing was not used for them they probably shifted in the box. FedEx would not be required to pay out on the insurance.

I would ask for a refund on the stands since they were damaged and put the money to a different pair of stands that would be of a better and more sturdy design. Looks like the only thing the stands have going for them is they match the speakers and have the B&W name on them. I don't view the cost of repairing the stands as worth it as the repair may be more than the stands are really worth.

I see that too... the bubblewrap was done in 2 directions, but the corner might be unprotected, there were peanuts as well... but I don't understand how there are 2 other dings on the same stand as well.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Did you find any of the chipped off material in the packaging or wrap?? If not I doubt it was from shipping.

You never answered this one??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Send them back, all of it. Unacceptable for an 8/10 scale by Audiogon standards, no matter who is at fault. Unless you think you can live with it and negotiate a partial refund for the damage. If it was me, they'd already be on their way back.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Joey, I've got a contact locally who does work like this for big box stores like havertys. If you want it, let me know.

Thanks skip.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Send them back, all of it. Unacceptable for an 8/10 scale by Audiogon standards, no matter who is at fault. Unless you think you can live with it and negotiate a partial refund for the damage. If it was me, they'd already be on their way back.

Tony, I should send you to him to give him a straight-talkin'.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Did you find any of the chipped off material in the packaging or wrap?? If not I doubt it was from shipping.

You never answered this one??

I did not find any significant lacquer on the saran.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I think you should ship the entire thing to me so I can take a closer look. >:)

That scuff can't be from shipping with the wrapping on it unless something else was in with it and then wrapped.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I think you should ship the entire thing to me so I can take a closer look. >:)

That scuff can't be from shipping with the wrapping on it unless something else was in with it and then wrapped.

So I was thinking.... there was nothign else dinged, no other parts dinged, so if it were something else causing the damage, then you'd expect 2 items dinged.

Something is amiss here the more I think about it.

I bet he dropped it the moment he was packing and said "oh ****".... and then just continued to pack it anyway.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I agree. That stand looks like it is cracked on the picture too.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I sent him an email.

Good to see others think like me too.

It's like buying a nice preowned car... then getting home and seeing that the rear bumper is dinged in.

Can we live with it? Yes.

Should we?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options

Hey Jesse @F1nut

I know you're good with wood working. Would you be able to fix something like this? I would take it apart and just send you the base.

It looks like a polyester finish, which is difficult to repair and it would cost more than the stands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hey Jesse @F1nut

It looks like a polyester finish, which is difficult to repair and it would cost more than the stands.

fudge.

you can't just lacquer it and coat it after sanding?