Does number of copper wire strands matter? Hard to gauge?

Options
Poolgod69
Poolgod69 Posts: 184
Hello all,

I am in the market for new speaker wire. I have been considering buying in bulk i.e 50ft but I have a question. Does the copper wire strand count really matter? Below are some examples:

SVS Sound Path- 64 Strands, 14AWG
KnuKonceptz- 294 Strands, 12AWG
Furutech FSa- 128 Strands, 12G (WAY out of my price range)
Monoprice- Cannot locate strand count for 12AWG
BJC- Cannot locate strand count for 12AWG

I believe I understand that the thicker strands can transmit more information. But does that matter when they are all wrapped in the wire essentially all touching anyway.

I am considering the SVS Sound Path, but due to my chronic indecisiveness I cannot make a decision.

Thank you.

Brian
Marantz SR 5010
Kenwood DR-V5070
Polk RTi A9- Mains
CSI A6- Center
Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up :rolleyes:
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There's a phenomenon called the "skin effect"; there is a tendency for higher frequency signals to travel on the outside of a wire. In theory, many more thin strands will be better from the perspective of HF signal transmission. In practice, audio frequencies are largely (although not universally) held to be far too low) to be much affected by the skin effect.

Some folks use pairs of single strand wire for, e.g., their speaker cables. :)

(and some folks use very fine-gauge twisted pairs of magnet wire for "interconnects")

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Only for flexibility. Thinner strands flex easier. Gauge is measured in total, so for the current it really doesn't care.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    http://www.wireworldcable.com/phone/index.html
    Some good reading on their designs regarding skin effect and electro-magnetic interference. Kinda gives you an introduction to the plethora of theories and principles in cable manufacturing.
    Aaaand we're off!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Some good reading on their designs regarding skin effect and electro-magnetic interference. Kinda gives you an introduction to the plethora of theories and principles in cable manufacturing.
    Aaaand we're off!!!

Plethora of theories and principles [and opinions]
    Yup.
  • lightman1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Aaaand we're off!!!

Plethora of theories and principles [and opinions]
    Yup.
    ;) You said it, Doc. Squirrel!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Not only is there stranded wire with varying numbers of strands, but solid core wire and then there are some which use a combination of stranded and solid. On top of that some are copper, some are silver and others are silver plated copper. Going even further there are varying degrees of the purity of the metal used. On top of all that, the geometry of the cable, outer covering and terminations also come into play.

Judging by the quanity you desire I'm guessing this is for HT, which is not as critical as 2 channel. Regardless, wire does make a difference and I would stay away from the Monoprice stuff. I'm not familiar with the SVS cable, but they are a subwoofer company, not a cable company, so consider that.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Conversely, though... expensive speaker "wire" can be very, very good.

Best tool(s) to bring to this party -- one's ears.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^ from the article above that I read years ago;
    "Despite all the measurements and opinions, the final test is whether you can hear any difference or not."

I bought Monster cable at 70% off at Radio Shack as they were closing and it sounded
    better than rip cord. The kicker, less strands. The difference wasn't earth shaking but it was there. I still use it for my surrounds.
  • Poolgod69
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. Which one would you choose?

BJC- 12AWG
    Belden- 12AWD
    Canares 4s11- 14 AWG

I am leaning to BJC now.

Brian
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Most of the BJC is Belden ;)

They are good people to work with
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    as mentioned above, it is not likely that you will need 12 gauge cable.
    I'd go Canary star quad cable if price is no object I suppose.
    (but I live near a broadcast tower)
  • westmassguy
    Options
    I've used the Canare 4S11, and Furez 10/2. I prefer the Furez. PM @helipilotdoug AKA Douglas Connections: http://www.douglasconnection.com/
    Great guy, and he'll get you squared away.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I know Audioquest used less strands but solid core. I like their sound so that's what I subscribe to
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Darn! My comments here were censored and, yet, they were so clever! Polk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think, Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Poolgod69 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am in the market for new speaker wire. I have been considering buying in bulk i.e 50ft but I have a question. Does the copper wire strand count really matter?

Brian

Answering you question, from a practical stand point, the number of strands will only cable flexibility, it will allow more bends before without breaking, that's the only m advantage, really.

As so, it would make sense to use stranded wires on movable parts with stranded wire on moving or serviceable parts as control plates, drivers, instrument cables, etc). The solid core, as more advantages on on amplifier boards wiring dressing, shaping tube filaments leads, etc.

I think solid core has no useful application on speakers...

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Darn! My comments here were censored and, yet, they were so clever! Polk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think, Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since this is your first post in this thread your comments weren't censored. They were removed! That is beyond censorship. It is un American. Or hallucinatory. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    Options
    C has been into the Ouzo again. Me thinks the good professor has been holed up in study far too long. His anthropological writings have seared the gray matter. Poor soul. Once was a good man....
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ouzo'll do that to a guy. It's like absinthe on crack.

;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Answering you question, from a practical stand point, the number of strands will only cable flexibility, it will allow more bends before without breaking, that's the only m advantage, really.

That is simply not the case. The number of strands, the gauge of those strands (some may be thicker, others as fine as angel hair and yet others a combination) and the geometry all play a role in the sound quality and to some degree the flexibility. Speaking of which, let's not forget that the filler, if any and thickness of the cover material will play a role in the flexibility as well.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    Options
    Thank your for bother explaining further, I appreciate that.

I noticed significant SQ improvement when replaced an old CRS 20' interconect with a 8' canare cable, but it's hard for me to tell the diference between Canare star Quad and a Marshal 12awg zip cord wire on 4' feet speakers cable runs when listening my ancient equipment...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    if your looking for high quality low cost speaker wire look no further then Audioquest FLX or SLIP series. This is the best sounding bulk affordable speaker cable on the market IMO. I have tested most over the years and these are by far the best.
    http://www.audioquest.com/flx-slip/slip-144
    http://www.audioquest.com/flexible-series/flxdb-14-2
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cortico
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mantis, I couldn't find specification sheets with electrical performance, do AQ have that available somewhere?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Four feet? Use a coat hanger. Do multiple scientific listening tests with friends and family. Pontificate here on how cable doesn't matter unless you don't have any.
  • cortico
    edited September 2016
    Options
    hangers will have to be made of super conductive and low capacitance copper wire :p
  • lightman1
    Options
    cortico wrote: »
    hangers will have to be made of super conductive and low capacitance copper wire :p

........and covered with the finest Corinthian leather.
  • motorhead43026
    Options

........and covered with the finest Corinthian leather.

Or skin from Albanian circumcisions.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cortico
    Options
    Twisted together by the hands of a virgen.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Twisted together by the hands of a virgen. (sic)
    I'm in Virginia now. I'll see if I can scare up a few for the task. Albanian or not...either way.
  • Poolgod69
    Poolgod69 Posts: 184
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you for all of your assistance. I ended ordering Belden Cable from BJC and Sewell Silverback bananas. I also just received my SR5010 from A4L. Very happy right now!!
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center