Guidance needed - SDA SRS (4th Gen) and modern amplifier?

Options
Hello! I'm picking up a pair of 4th gen SDA SRS speakers this evening. Apart from a vintage turntable, this is my first foray into vintage gear. Ideally, I'd like to integrate these into my existing home theater system, which presently consists of modern Polks (CS2, Monitor 70s, Monitor 40s, and TL2 Sats and a powered polk sub driven by an Onkyo TX-NR1009).

Assuming it's not crazy to use the SDAs in a 7.1 rig (it is crazy?), they would replace the Monitor 70s as the front L/R channel. I'd likely ditch the sub.

I'm fully aware that my receiver isn't going to cut it, and I'm looking for suggestions for amplifiers that would be a good fit with the SDAs. I'm impatient and don't want to spend a lot of time hunting for a local CL deal, so ideally I'd like to pair these with a modern amp (that is, something I can buy today). Any thoughts or experience on what to look at? Alternatively, what about something like this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/5542025761.html or this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/5540003762.html or this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/5543549991.html ?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Comments

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I guess you can use a polk SDA SRS this way, but it kind of defeats the whole purpose. The SDA SRS is a corn-fed colby beef steak 2 channel speaker. Why turn it into multi-channel hamburger? You will totally lose the 2 channel purpose of this speaker. Anyway, I am interested in hearing opinions on this myself.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • aleya
    aleya Posts: 11
    Options
    pongshi wrote: »
    I guess you can use a polk SDA SRS this way, but it kind of defeats the whole purpose. The SDA SRS is a corn-fed colby beef steak 2 channel speaker. Why turn it into multi-channel hamburger? You will totally lose the 2 channel purpose of this speaker. Anyway, I am interested in hearing opinions on this myself.

Just to be clear, they'll be used about 50/50 multi-channel and two-channel. I have a dedicated HT / music room in my house, so everything basically needs to co-exist. The Monitor 70s serve as my current stereo speakers when listening to music, and as the front channel speakers in the HT system. I suppose I could run the SDAs independent of the rest of the system, but I'm not sure my wife will tolerate having the 70s and the SDAs set up at the same time :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    The SDA's are not going to timbre match your center therefore your HT listening will sound off, nor would they replace your sub.

None of those amps would be a good choice to power big SDA's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    @aleya

1)When it comes to THIS hobby you NEED to learn some patience or I PROMISE YOU,you WILL make a LOT of COSTLY mistakes!
    2)It would help a great deal to know exactly which model SRS speakers you are talking about.
    3)Welcome to the forum.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/5533704300.html

You could do better than this with a 2 channel amp with some patience but if you have to buy it RIGHT NOW, this is what I'd get.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Having used the SDA in my own HT setup I can only give my opinon. The SDA Polks I am using integrate very well with the rest of my polk HT. Now I admit I watch and play mostly concert DVD on my system
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I have SDA's in a HT setup and line them. I use a CS1000 for the center.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    By the way, you need a good high current amp.

The best I have had so far is McCormack, but a better Parasound will also work good. You have several options available.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    As previously asked, which SRS model? My SDA-2As are used for Home Theater and 2 Channel. The CS350LS or CS1000 Centers will closely match the timbre of the vintage SDA/SRSs. You won't need the Sub for 2 Channel/Music, but will need it for Home Theater. Asking any SDA/SRS to handle the LFE track is going to require a lot of Amplifier power, and will put undue stress on them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • aleya
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've heard the "be patient" advice loud and clear and realize that waiting things out until I find a good power source that will fit my budget is the right decision.

Sorry I wasn't clear on the model - these are the SDA SRS 1.2 model. I picked them up last night. I had the opportunity to audition them with some very nice gear in a nice setup, and I was totally blown away. I've never experienced that kind of imaging and clarity before. It'll be a while before I have the budget to come close to the setup that the seller had, but knowing what these things are capable of is pretty exciting.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    aleya wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've heard the "be patient" advice loud and clear and realize that waiting things out until I find a good power source that will fit my budget is the right decision.

Sorry I wasn't clear on the model - these are the SDA SRS 1.2 model. I picked them up last night. I had the opportunity to audition them with some very nice gear in a nice setup, and I was totally blown away. I've never experienced that kind of imaging and clarity before. It'll be a while before I have the budget to come close to the setup that the seller had, but knowing what these things are capable of is pretty exciting.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    I run my 1.2tls in a combo setup 90 percent music at this point. I find they add a tremendous amount of power to movie soundtracks and with ht bypass on a good two channel preamp performance is not compromised for two channel or HT.

I tried out the HT bypass functions on the Backert Rhumba last night and found the ht performance to be stellar.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    The biggest of the SDA-SRS series need a really god amp with lots of current in order to truly open up.However you MUST be aware of the requirement for an amplifier with common grounding between the channels. Mono block amps,bridged amps,dual mono amps,some mulitchannel amps and some esoteric designs do not meet this requirement. I don't remember if you can use the non common ground interface cable (*Polk AI-1* or one which you can build yourself with help from people here on the forum*) with the SRS 1.2's.
    Definitely with the 1.2TL's
    The difference being the crossover and the tweeters.
    The 1.2's have SL-2000 Polyamide dome tweeters and the 1.2TL's have the SL-3000 TriLaminate (*what the TL stands for*) dome tweeters.
    @westmassguy would know if they could use that interface cable.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The SDA SRS 1.2's can use the AI-1/Dreadnought.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aleya
    Options
    Thoughts on pairing these with a Carver? There's an m1.5 and a TFM 15 CBS local to me on Craigslist, both in my current price range. I've done some reading on the m 1.5 and I'm a little unclear about whether it is appropriate for these speakers.

Here's a pic. Still need to get the placement sorted out, but after moving them down the stairs, this was good enough! 1qn241mms6al.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Are you trying to copy my room there pal?jja314cerl64.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aleya
    Options
    Ha! There's something about that dark grey and big black speakers that just looks right.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    your sidewalls are the same color as mine as well... that's the funny part.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Looks good
    Since that is a large room you can actually afford to make sure they are five feet from the sidewalls (*Polk Audio's recommendation*) which can interfere with their imaging capabilities. Same goes for having those Monitor 70s right next to them. The Carver M1.5t will provide more than ample power at 350 WPC,but the TFM-15 will not at 100 WPC. A better match would be a Carver TFM-45,55 or 75 if you can find decent ones. The 45 and 55 can be had all over eBay. Sometimes I see 75's up for sale there.
    I say this because I noticed years ago the sound of the TFM series amps just seems to have a very synergistic match with Polk speakers [*I am NOT talking about the later X series of amps-which were THX certified,but had the Transfer Function Modification (the TFM in the model number-which was the circuit that gave them sound similar to Carvers big Silver Seven tube amp) circuitry removed and sounded VERY different from the non THX certified amps-the TFM-35x and 55x*]
    You may agree or disagree.
    Sunfire is also an excellent match.
    Just look at the list of equipment I am using which is right below my comments here.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The TFM models sound nothing like tube amps.

• F1nut
    Options
    The TFM models sound nothing like tube amps.

^ THIS ^

President of Club Polk

• Gunther16
    Options
    Jeez F1 do you ever sleep? B)
  • westmassguy
    Options
    He's a Vampire Gunther. The sun is up, so he's most likely in his Crypt by now :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Gunther16
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ha, Get the stakes ready Van Helsink is looking for him and his crypt. I think he's really acyborg.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Jeez F1 do you ever sleep? B)

Very well, thank you.

President of Club Polk

• aleya
    Options
    Alright everybody, back on topic! :)
    I've come across two local amp options that I'm interested in feedback on. Both are Adcoms. One is a GFA-5500 (asking price is $395) and one is a GFA-5800 (asking price is $589).

I've done some diligence, and my understanding is that these are not common ground amps but can be used with the SDAs by strapping the negative terminals on the amp (or by utilizing the AI-1 interconnect).

Assuming that is correct (and please put me straight if it isn't!), is the 5800 worth the extra couple hundred dollars? Any reason to stay clear of either option?

Finally, I noticed that one of the mid-woofers has a very small tear in the surround, and that the cone is slightly bent. It could have happened during transit or I might not have noticed it during the audition. Any thoughts on where to get an OEM replacement? Googling turns up MidWest Speaker Repair (though it looks like they are out of stock until June, which isn't a problem), but just curious whether these can still be obtained directly from Polk or if there's another preferred source.

Thanks again everyone.
  • westmassguy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The 1.2s use two different drivers, the MW6503 for the inner stereo drivers, and the MW6511s for the outer dimensional drivers. Polk has new replacements for both types. They look different than the originals, but perform the same. The rubber surround must be trimmed around the screw holes on the replacements.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    ^^^^ What he said plus there cheaper $ from Polk for forum members.

If the bad one is a MW6503 originals come up on e-bay from time to time not so much for the MW6511 these are harder to find used, also check out the for sale section here.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Have both the 6503 and 6511 new. PM me if interested. I'll be posting an ad soon in the FS section anyway.
  • aleya
    Options
    Thanks, Gunther. pm sent.