Amp Recommendations to Power LSiM 707's

Options
I bought a pair of 707's and am powering them with an Emotiva XPA-2. The 707's are more laid back then I prefer...maybe that's their style however I would like to give them a fair shot.

Looking for other amp suggestions preferably something less than $1500.

Look forward to feedback.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Rotel Rb1080
    Rotel RB-1582-MKII
    B&K Ref200.2
    NAD C 275BEE
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If the 707's are more laid back than you prefer, with an Emo amp on them now, I don't think any of the other amp suggestions will cure that. Could just be they aren't for you.

What cables are you using for the speakers and the amp ? Are you using bare wire ends ? Could it be something else in your system is contributing to the laid back sound ? LSIM's to me anyway are not laid back, least not as much as the previous LSI series and the Emo amp certainly isn't either, if anything a tad on the bright side.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Agree with Tony on that one. LSIM are great for music, they were a tad boring for movie playback. I would spend some time with them, let them work in, I'm sure you will grow to like them. To this day I wish I would have kept my modded lsi15.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    give us the rest of your system including cables.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    If the 707's are more laid back than you prefer, with an Emo amp on them now, I don't think any of the other amp suggestions will cure that.

This
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    LSiM is not for you, look into the RTiA9s or consider auditioning B&W or Klipsch.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Maybe something else in my system or setup is contributing to this at least in part. I agree that the XPA-2 is definitely a little forward if anything. I read so many good things about the 707's that I need to give them more time.

....stay tuned.
  • jayu969
    Options
    Anyone used Bryston amps with the 707's? I have a 4B-ST available to me that I was thinking about buying and trying.
  • jayu969
    Options
    Or how about an Emotiva XPR-2 or one of the other XPR amps?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    ) if you find yamaha mx1... it may help. On brighter side. Extremely good mids. Fast bass. Very sharp. No overblown bass. Mx1 not mx1000, m85.. Mx1 is a completely different piece.. adcoms lack details in highs. Overblown bass.. things will be even more laid back
    I use mx1 with bw lcr600 s3 in stereo ( 2 center speakers ) . Prefer these over sda-crs+.
    Had onkyo m504, yamaha m65, m80, mx1000, adcom 5800, 555ii, 5500.
    All sold.. not sure when I'll find better than mx1.

Bw 600 series 3.. aren't bad at all.. for The money used or even new. Very impressive. . Heard bookshelves 805 I believe.. did not feel like they are worth extra 700$.

One very important consideration with speakers like these is powering them with an amp that has dc voltage protection relay.. or else one day your woofers will blow. A lot of money

Decoder ring lost, damn....
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Look for Parasound A21 which can be had for around 1500 clams!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • jayu969
    Options
    Thanks. NO longer have these.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I think cables would have solved your issue. I have the xpa1 gen2's on my 705's and initially found them a little rolled off on top compared to my ATI amp, all else being equal.

I use bjc lc1 interconnects throughout my system, but at that time the only six foot cables I had, that would reach the amps, were the ethereal silver. When I finally got around to replacing them with lc1 to match the rest of the system, the top end improved greatly.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant