A bit of a modern twist on a classic

Options
Braddles63
Braddles63 Posts: 184
edited January 2016 in Vintage Speakers
I bought a pair of Monitor 7A's a while back and the boxes were pretty knocked around. I stripped them back and planed on finishing them in the classic timber veneer. But the corners were really bad so i decided to take i different but risky move. I rounded off the edges of the boxes and found a granite look paint that i thought would look good. Im sure some will consider it sacrilege to do this but I'm happy with the lookand interestingly so is my wife.
I have rebuilt the cover using Jantzen Superior Z caps on the tweeter and cross caps on the MW. Also used their Mox 10 Watt "Superes" resistors. The tweeters where no good so after hanging out for some original Peerless on eBay etc i took the plunge and bought the new ones from Mid West. This was a bit costly to get them to Australia as the exchange rate is down to 70c but i ran out of patients.
Also done the usual dampening of the baskets and new seals. Still have to do T-Nuts and new grill cloth.
I have only about 20-30 hours on them so I'm trying not to judge them yet. They do sound a little veiled so far so we will see if they open up after some more time.ifj1cra2guqk.jpgdp5ja2w0ubu5.jpg
phfrxxse2am4.jpg
3gxn328eeu9p.jpg
49wit6t7ewd8.jpg
Post edited by Braddles63 on

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Dang that actually looks fantastic. Bold move but it payed off...very cool
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Braddles63
    Options
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    You know, I've seen some wild re-finishes on speakers that were downright garish and ugly, but this re-finish is actually very attractive! Different yet classy and done well. Good job mate!

Purple shag carpet comes to mind. Cool look on these though..
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I actually dig it too, nice work Braddles. Now if only you could remove the grey "trim" around the midwoofers and PRs, always thought that was ugly on the earlier models.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Yes Nightfall i agree. I was going to taker them off all together to improve the look but I'm assuming they are there for an acoustic reason so i left them.

Does anyone know if you can buy after market replacement trims?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Very nice job. The rings you're referring to are gaskets. They serve no purpose when the woofer or PR is front mounted (they're used when rear mounting the woofer to the front baffle). Removing them may be more difficult than you think. There will be a glue line leftover, and you risk damaging the rubber surrounds getting them off. New Gaskets are available, but finding an exact fit may pose a problem. Many are "universal" fit, come in four sections, and have sliding/adjustable joints. Not the nicest look.
    If the gaskets are in good shape, no blemishes, you could carefully mask off the rubber surrounds, and cones, then paint them......BLACK. If they have black paint down under.
    Use flat or matte finish. The gaskets are cardboard, and will soak up the paint, so any gloss finish will be uneven.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Nicely done. Most people would have parted them out. Glad to see that you were able to resurrect them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They look Heavy man!
    Would fit nicely in the studio.
    Well done.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    (not that my opinion matters one whit, but...) I like 'em!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Are those ETI AMG toppers on the speakers?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh -- I just noticed that they're the seldom seen 7A variant with two fuses per loudspeaker system (tweeter & system fuses). Mine are identical (although still finished in their original, rather tired -- and orange! -- "rosewood" vinyl).

I'm gonna (ahem) borrow a copy of the rear view photo above to document the XO configuration for posterity... since mine are boxed up in the basement and I am far too lazy to dig 'em out just for that :-P

Thanks to the OP for posting those photos!

• Braddles63
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks all.

Motorhead. Yes you are correct.

hardy. Yes they are quite rare. Even more so here in Australia. The Xover is point to point rather than a PC board. I had to concentrate and take it slow so i didn't stuff it up,

I assume that if i update the binding posts and loose the fuses it would improve things a bit more?
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    I think they look good but I might also be tempted to re-do the grills.

Newly recovered black or grey grills might look pretty-nice.
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Yes mate thats in the plans for sure.
  • zappafan2
    Options
    I like them good job!!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I am -- truth be told -- rather surprised to learn that there are ANY Polk Audio loudspeakers of that era (1970s) in Oz. Wonder how they even got there...?

;- )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm going with twister.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I like.... Rock Solid look...much better than the original contact paper fake wood "veneer"
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • westmassguy
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am -- truth be told -- rather surprised to learn that there are ANY Polk Audio loudspeakers of that era (1970s) in Oz. Wonder how they even got there...?

;- )
    They must have had some distribution, because I have several Polk Customers down under. Europe too.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Polk have been available here in Oz as long as i can remember. Im 48.

I bought my first pair of Monitor 10s in the late eighties.
    Im on the West coast of Australia in Perth. The most isolated capital city in the world. So to find them here is pretty rare. Same as when i found a pair of SDA CRS+.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm going with twister.

:- ) Now... that... that right there is some funny stuff, that is. Right there. Funny. Stuff.

Now that you mention it, though... I do believe I saw Miss Gulch fly by on her bicycle.

Oz+Miss+Gulch.JPG

She may well have had a coupla Monitor 7As in her basket with that little dog...
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    Polk have been available here in Oz as long as i can remember. Im 48.

I bought my first pair of Monitor 10s in the late eighties.
    Im on the West coast of Australia in Perth. The most isolated capital city in the world. So to find them here is pretty rare. Same as when i found a pair of SDA CRS+.

So... let me do some math :-P You'd have been about 9 or 10 when the 7As were new (I bought mine, as scratch 'n' dent demonstrators, in 1978). :- ) In all seriousness, I had no idea Polk was distributed that far and wide that long ago! The early Polk products aren't really all that common outside of the US "midatlantic" area, to the best of my knowledge.
  • Braddles63
    edited January 2016
    Options

You would have one more customer down under too for my CRS+ If it wasn't for a crappy exchange rate.

;- )
    They must have had some distribution, because I have several Polk Customers down under. Europe too.

• westmassguy
    Options
    Braddles63 wrote: »

You would have one more customer down under too for my CRS+ If it wasn't for a crappy exchange rate.

;- )

Thanks, Canada is right behind you in that respect.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe some leopard fur covers.
    That way, they'd match my sofa.
    Granite finishes ROCK !
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Nice and very creative job @Braddles63!

Well done!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Braddles63
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I have been running them for about 2 weeks solid 12-14 hours per day and I'm a bit disappointed at this stage. Top end is recessed and the bass is over powering and bloated. I know some have noted some improvement after run in but it will have to improve a fair bit for me to be happy.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Those are not qualities normally associated with the 7s.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Hopefully some more run time will help.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^I have my doubts^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Check for air leakage. Do the push test. Press in and hold the Passive Radiator, the woofer should pop out and stay out for 3-5 seconds, then slowly retract. If it doesn't, you've got leaks, which will affect the bass. Double check all drivers are in phase/wired properly.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/