Subwoofer suggestions

I've been talking with nbrowser about upgrading my Dodge Journey's sound system. I have it in the shop for them to fix all the screwups but here's what I have already that needs to be re-integrated:

Focal Auditor 5.25 component speakers front doors
AudioControl LC7i Line Out Converter
JL Audio 4 channel amp
SoundOrdnance powered 8" underseat sub

It was suggested to me that I may want to forgo the powered sub and go right to a box sub and power it from the spare 2 channels bridged from my JL amp. I don't even know where to start so can someone help me with some suggestions? I'm not limiting myself to any specific brands, but I want the bass to be tight and punchy--not muddy and boomy. I like to listen to a lot of jazz, singer/songwriter and progressive metal. Any help would be appreciated. Would prefer a single driver system because I don't want to take up much space in the back. Also, should I go ported or sealed?
TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC

Comments

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,013
    edited May 2015
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • ROHfanROHfan Posts: 1,005
    Dock, thanks for the advice. That Tang looks very interesting and the reviews are stellar. I'm reading that the Tang likes a ported enclosure to ensure the driver's full travel but you suggest going with a sealed one. Why is that? Oh, and thanks for the links. Definitely have something to chew on, now.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,032
    If you want tight and punchy I'd go sealed.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
    Nightfall hit the nail on the head.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Alrighty, then. Probably gonna go that route if the current install doesn't sound to my liking. I have a 60 day money back guarantee from Crutchfield so I know that won't be an issue. Thanks again for the direction, dudes.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,019
    Unless your into hip hop ot dubstep, sealed...I run sealed in my truck, night tight bass.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Man do I miss car audio some days....I ran sealed subs almost exclusively. However, some of the cleanest, tightest, dry, most natural sounding bass I've heard in a car was infinite baffle mounted subs. I was in the process of acquiring some very nice gear for an all out SQ system with an IB sub. I ended up having to sell it all off a few years ago when I moved from MI to IN. I had a custom 15" Acoustic Elegance IB sub with a huge underhung motor. The sub was designed to have very low distortion and linear output.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/WLDock/Car Audio/IMAG0413.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/WLDock/media/Car Audio/IMAG0412.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

Once I get a 2 ch rig together and a new car I'm for sure going to put a system together....its been too long. ...the quest for clarity, detail, impact, and tight bass never ends!
    FAMILY ROOM
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,032
    The only thing I didn't like about my car stereo (component speakers, 5 channel amp, upgraded alternator and battery, sub, the works) is that there isn't such a thing as sound stage or imaging. Not sure how else to describe it but it's just sound.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like about my car stereo (component speakers, 5 channel amp, upgraded alternator and battery, sub, the works) is that there isn't such a thing as sound stage or imaging. Not sure how else to describe it but it's just sound.

Component speakers? Get to aiming those tweeters better, my coaxials have swivel tweeters that I aimed, nice soundstage and image actually once you spend a bit of time aiming.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It can be a task sometimes to get this in the car. However, I've listened to some SQ competition cars that were able to do some things right. Many of these had drivers in the kick panels to help equal out the path length differences.

FAMILY ROOM
    Ok, so here's a stupid question. I'm sending my front left and right into the Cleansweep and then out to the amp, then to the front door components. Then, I have the rear left and right going into the Cleansweep and running them to my powered sub which has a left and right input. I'm going to go with a passive sub and want to have it amplified by the spare two channels from my JL Audio amp. What is the best way to do this? Can I still plug the rear left and right channels into ch 3 and 4 inputs on the amp and just bridge the output of ch 3 and 4 to get mono to the sub? Not sure how to continue.
    Yes, that is correct...its the same thing. Your powered sub is the same thing as an amp and a passive sub....low level input>AMP>high power outputs>SUB
    FAMILY ROOM
    Getting the new speakers today I ordered. The 5.25" Focals and Sound Ordnance sub isn't cutting it. Went with 6.5" JL Audio C3-600 component speakers and a Kicker 12" sub in sealed enclosure. I'm thinking I may wind up exchanging the Kicker as I really had my mind set on a JL Audio sealed unit but it was out of stock.
    Sounds good.
    FAMILY ROOM