Legacy Audio Focus Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 21,818
    Thanks guys! :)

These are a challenge but it is an easier build than an internal one (as far as the crossover goes) but is more intricate because of the enclosure, etc etc
    Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    edited May 2015
    Everyone likes black :) (Have not cleaned the enclosures yet)

32veh77k9pn6.jpg

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Attached is a video of JUST*** the tweeter(s) and midrange circuits playing.

This is a direct A/B test between modified (no burn in) and stock. I am running the same channel, same unit and controlling the A/B with a remote.

Please note that the stock crossovers uses their stock wiring and I am using nicer wire to go from the amplifier to the stock unit.

The modified units is piece-milled together using alligator clips, cheap thin wire and chewing gum in comparison.

The recording starts off with the modified units playing first

(Drivers in back go to modified unit/Drivers in front go to stock unit)

3D Printed cable collart2hz27gtgoax.jpg
    v3audx57qdo0.jpg

27yctsiahqwo.jpg
    7gfpwhbb651e.jpg

3gzecehtgxjz.jpg
    3itv0i73b3l0.jpg
    cowa3l1tyb24.jpg
    213azp4q7426.jpg

edited May 2015
    This is with the crossovers in place, template fit test

nbqosxavj048.jpg

• drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,346
    Trey, that looks stunning. If it sounds as good as it looks your customer will be very pleased.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,628
    That bad boy is huge. Same size as a bookie. Is there a reason Trey it had to be that big or are you adding some goodies to make it so ?
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Thank you guys! :)

The size of the parts required this size and I actually removed parts that were associated with the trim sections. There are just a lot of parts and the inductors needed space. I measured all of the inductors in their positions to make sure they were not having any interference from other inductors so the spacing is very particular.

Trey, when the owner has them in place and burned in, I'd be very interested in his thoughts. Hopefully either you or him can post it up here.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,749
    Stunning work. Looks amazing!
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

Thank you sir ! :)

I will definitely post any thoughts the owner providesnnu0s7vh8g5d.jpg
    1lvik72nkl1k.jpg
    5i0ubtz89lw2.jpg
    lh4ayy7nvrpr.jpg
    k6tgqm2n8jua.jpg

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,537
    Please tell me you're going to use acrylic on the sides to show that work off.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    The owner is doing the side panels, he is weighing a type of acrylic or wood

I like the idea of transparency and being able to see completely through the unit. Put a little LED in there and it could become a massive conversation piece.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    I agree, that is part of why I mounted the components in the center facing each side versus just bolted to the tabs. I feel this really differentiates the build from other modders and is a great mounting method, very strong and tight.

Its stupid good Trey. You've done great work for a while, but that is new level right there. This is the first one you've done that has me wowed - no offense to your other builds. ;)
    audiothesis.com/

Thank you very much, I am humbled everyday by some of the things people approach me with and ultimately allow me to design things to my liking (to an extent) and kind of push the envelope of what kind of build can be made

edited May 2015
    o5ypgluiin87.jpg
    Getting closer to making sound

Edited to remove schematic from pictures2vuyl4xex1l9.jpg

• Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,442
    edited May 2015
    Trey,

Remarkable!

Or, to quote DSkip, "stupid good"!

You continue to raise the bar from design to design.

Well done,
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    Thank you Phil :)

Except some minor finishing touches, one is burning in a little :)hw6r7sftox9h.jpg
    urs1oe8isbd3.jpg
    qj6mywqy1212.jpg

edited May 2015
    DSkip wrote: »
    I like the idea of transparency and being able to see completely through the unit. Put a little LED in there and it could become a massive conversation piece.

Agreed, made that suggestion earlier. Plus it's free advertising for Trey and his work. You look at that puppy illuminated in the dark and people are going to ask questions. You post a pic on forums and people will ask questions.

Only one thing missing now. Some white Fairy dust from Coconut audio around those wires. lol

Trey, post up some pics when it's all done and set up with the speaks. Very interested in the final outcome and look....and of course sound.

legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,346
    Hey Tony, you gettin' inspired to send your Legacy Xovers for a little refresh? I'm guessing that work costs what used car goes for
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
    drumminman wrote: »
    Hey Tony, you gettin' inspired to send your Legacy Xovers for a little refresh? I'm guessing that work costs what used car goes for

Not as of right now, but when the time comes, who knows. I may just hold out for those Aeris to come down in price on the used market.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    The finish line is near! :smile: cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53e3d0v8wu8sp.jpg
    4d4etomuh2a9.jpg
    7t9bzbcjjqxx.jpg
    kzxg7ad4ci1y.jpg
    srd1sp7bunnt.jpg
    i1alzslxzequ.jpg
    exq0o1wyntie.jpg
    3.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/polkaudio.vanillaforums.com/editor/bf/jnmrpk2nsasu.jpg
    dn6074cbvzrp.jpg

• Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,442
    Awesome, Trey.

Absolutely awesome! :)
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    edited May 2015
    Thank you Phil!! :-D

Reminder that these are .50 cent tweeters ;-D

• TCKTCK Posts: 221
    Mule!
    SDA 2B(1989 Oak Caps w 194s) ~ Old school Monitor 7B(1982 w Peerless) ~ Monitor 7 (w 198s) ~ Monitor 5 (w 198s) ~ Monitor 5(w 194s) ~ Monitor 5Jr+(w 194s) ~ RT35i (cherry finish) ~ CS400 ~ CS245i ~ F/Xi A4 ~ RT25 ~ CS245

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain "