Legacy Audio Focus Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    https://youtu.be/q-ivpubOpKY

Attached is a video of JUST*** the tweeter(s) and midrange circuits playing.

This is a direct A/B test between modified (no burn in) and stock. I am running the same channel, same unit and controlling the A/B with a remote.

Please note that the stock crossovers uses their stock wiring and I am using nicer wire to go from the amplifier to the stock unit.

The modified units is piece-milled together using alligator clips, cheap thin wire and chewing gum in comparison.

The recording starts off with the modified units playing first

(Drivers in back go to modified unit/Drivers in front go to stock unit)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    3D Printed cable collart2hz27gtgoax.jpg
    v3audx57qdo0.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    27yctsiahqwo.jpg
    7gfpwhbb651e.jpg
  • VR3
    3gzecehtgxjz.jpg
    3itv0i73b3l0.jpg
    cowa3l1tyb24.jpg
    213azp4q7426.jpg
  • VR3
    edited May 2015
    This is with the crossovers in place, template fit test

nbqosxavj048.jpg
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Trey, that looks stunning. If it sounds as good as it looks your customer will be very pleased.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That bad boy is huge. Same size as a bookie. Is there a reason Trey it had to be that big or are you adding some goodies to make it so ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Thank you guys! :)

The size of the parts required this size and I actually removed parts that were associated with the trim sections. There are just a lot of parts and the inductors needed space. I measured all of the inductors in their positions to make sure they were not having any interference from other inductors so the spacing is very particular.
  • tonyb
    Trey, when the owner has them in place and burned in, I'd be very interested in his thoughts. Hopefully either you or him can post it up here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Stunning work. Looks amazing!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    Thank you sir ! :)

I will definitely post any thoughts the owner providesnnu0s7vh8g5d.jpg
    1lvik72nkl1k.jpg
    5i0ubtz89lw2.jpg
    lh4ayy7nvrpr.jpg
    k6tgqm2n8jua.jpg
  • VR3
    The owner is doing the side panels, he is weighing a type of acrylic or wood
  • VR3
    I agree, that is part of why I mounted the components in the center facing each side versus just bolted to the tabs. I feel this really differentiates the build from other modders and is a great mounting method, very strong and tight.
  • VR3
    Thank you very much, I am humbled everyday by some of the things people approach me with and ultimately allow me to design things to my liking (to an extent) and kind of push the envelope of what kind of build can be made
  • VR3
    edited May 2015
    o5ypgluiin87.jpg
    Getting closer to making sound

Edited to remove schematic from pictures2vuyl4xex1l9.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited May 2015
    Trey,

Remarkable!

Or, to quote DSkip, "stupid good"!

You continue to raise the bar from design to design.

Well done,
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    Thank you Phil :)
  • VR3
    Except some minor finishing touches, one is burning in a little :)hw6r7sftox9h.jpg
    urs1oe8isbd3.jpg
    qj6mywqy1212.jpg
  • tonyb
    edited May 2015
    DSkip wrote: »
    I like the idea of transparency and being able to see completely through the unit. Put a little LED in there and it could become a massive conversation piece.

Agreed, made that suggestion earlier. Plus it's free advertising for Trey and his work. You look at that puppy illuminated in the dark and people are going to ask questions. You post a pic on forums and people will ask questions.

Only one thing missing now. Some white Fairy dust from Coconut audio around those wires. lol

Trey, post up some pics when it's all done and set up with the speaks. Very interested in the final outcome and look....and of course sound.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Hey Tony, you gettin' inspired to send your Legacy Xovers for a little refresh? I'm guessing that work costs what used car goes for
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • tonyb
    drumminman wrote: »
    Hey Tony, you gettin' inspired to send your Legacy Xovers for a little refresh? I'm guessing that work costs what used car goes for

Not as of right now, but when the time comes, who knows. I may just hold out for those Aeris to come down in price on the used market.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    The finish line is near! :smile:cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53e3d0v8wu8sp.jpg
    4d4etomuh2a9.jpg
    7t9bzbcjjqxx.jpg
    kzxg7ad4ci1y.jpg
    srd1sp7bunnt.jpg
    i1alzslxzequ.jpg
    exq0o1wyntie.jpg
    3.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/polkaudio.vanillaforums.com/editor/bf/jnmrpk2nsasu.jpg
    dn6074cbvzrp.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Awesome, Trey.

Absolutely awesome! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    edited May 2015
    Thank you Phil!! :-D

Reminder that these are .50 cent tweeters ;-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EmgRHG-FoI
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Mule!
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • VR3
    Government Mule is great, on that particular CD there are two tracks that are a real Audiophile treat for sure, great imaging. I find that modifications really bring out the snare and cymbals in the recording.
  • VR3
    Here is another - this is with the drivers on the same plane

This is with a $100 Insignia receiver, .50 tweeters, Definitive midbass drivers and Xbox 360 source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxUHlW7YOI
  • VR3
    The inputs are the highs mids and lows, it is set up for tri wire

Thank you :)
  • VR3
    I made some custom inserts to go inside the units for shipping.

These weighed in at 75 pounds shipping weight! :)yp30jllti5u0.jpg
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    very nice and clean. they look great.