Finally a part of the SDA club!

Options
JSGuru
JSGuru Posts: 37
edited December 2013 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys! I went browsing a local pawn shop on a whim...looky what I found! Also, I'm new to the forums, well, posting anyways. I've come across the forums before in my Google searches and have actually found quite a few interesting facts and solutions to many of the things I had thought were un-Googleable! (Is that a word?) Anyways, these SDA's were like an open invitation to join all the friendly, helpful people here on Club Polk, so consider this the first post of (hopefully) many.

Cheers!

CAM00255.jpg
Bedroom Stereo: Harman Kardon H/K 3490/DCM-CX27's (goodwill find)
Computer Room: Yamaha HTR-5240 (goodwill find)/TSI100's (goodwill find)
Theater: Harman Kardon AVR-254 (goodwill find)/Jamo S426 (fronts)/Speakercraft 6.1 LCR (center) (goodwill find)/Jamo S420 (rears)
AVR-254 (Zone 2): Yamaha M-80/SDA-1C (pawn shop find)/Insignia NS-B2111 (craigslist find)
Post edited by JSGuru on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk and congrats. I don't see the SDA interconnect cable, did you get it?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome, you already passed test number one...pics or it didn't happen. However, you could definitely post some more...we won't mind.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Whoops! That picture is from a week ago, before I had them wired. No interconnect cable, but I popped the terminal out and saw that the pin and blade were incredibly easy to tap into. so i gathered a few spare binding posts and made my own interconnect cable. lol! Hows it look?
    CAM00319.jpg
    CAM00323.jpg
    Theater: Harman Kardon AVR-254 (goodwill find)/Jamo S426 (fronts)/Speakercraft 6.1 LCR (center) (goodwill find)/Jamo S420 (rears)
    AVR-254 (Zone 2): Yamaha M-80/SDA-1C (pawn shop find)/Insignia NS-B2111 (craigslist find)
  • F1nut
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Wish you would have done a bit of research here first. Most of us prefer Neutrik connectors. If you ever sell them, you'll have to make sure that no one thinks the speakers are bi-wire/bi-amp capable.

DSC01763.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to CP, and the "Rabbit Hole". F1 is right, but hey they're your speakers, enjoy them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to the club, you'll have a lot of fun with those!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • bigaltx24
    bigaltx24 Posts: 141
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to the club, looks like those babies are in great shape.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Cambridge Azur 650C
    Polk SDA-1BTL
  • bigaltx24
    bigaltx24 Posts: 141
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome, you may not realize this, but when you get SDAs it's a requirement to mod the crap out of them.
    Denon PMA-900V
    Linn Axis with Grado Red
    Cambridge Azur 650C
    Polk SDA-1BTL
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the club. Congrats on the speakers and enjoy.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited December 2013
    Options
    They are really good looking. Congrats on the score. What shape are the gill covers in and the question everyone wants to know but are afraid to ask how much were they? We hear a lot from people doing the C/L thing but not to often a pawn shop buy.Did you haggle w/ the dudes or price was set and firm.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2013
    Options
    bigaltx24 wrote: »
    Welcome, you may not realize this, but when you get SDAs it's a requirement to mod the crap out of them.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This! !

We'll gladly help you spend your money :twisted: Spend a little time with them now to learn how they sound, and then take them to a whole new level of sound quality by doing the mods! :eek:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Congrats on your New 2 U speakers. Fine speaker. Welcome to CP & enjoy your Polks
    Randy/Maine
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Jesse the work on your jumpers alone is extremely clean and uber pro looking. Since you use them I'm guessing you do not bi-wire. Does bi-wiring in your opinion do much to seperate mid woofers and highs or in the camp that it's does nothing to enhance the sound as Richard Vandersteen claims is a must w/ his speakers as I said in a privious post. I know you wanted to let the op see your i/c termination and the cable it'self but the jumpers were that impressive. I will look into these cables and connectors but as usual might be both out of my cash range and and just a bit tough on the install side.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Congrats!
    BTW, pin/blade only carries signal on the pin so you could have just had one binding post for the interconnect cable.
    Epoxy magnets and upgrade capacitors 1st and look for other upgrades.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • j1mmy
    j1mmy Posts: 95
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Congrats and welcome! I'm a SDA-2b owner myself.
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    WOW! I was expecting a warm welcome and all...but DANG! You guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome!

Anyways, I took a few more pics of the grill covers and back of the speakers.

CAM00324.jpg
    CAM00329.jpg
    CAM00330.jpg

Also, I know you guys are curious on how much I paid for em, I was actually going to post that earlier, but totally forgot. Ha! I paid $120 bucks for the pair.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You paid too much.
    Anything less than $300 for them is too much. :lol:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk, great find!!
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Wish you would have done a bit of research here first. Most of us prefer Neutrik connectors. If you ever sell them, you'll have to make sure that no one thinks the speakers are bi-wire/bi-amp capable.

Good stuff, good stuff. I think i will invest in Neutrik connectors once I start my crossover restoration/upgrade.
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    They are really good looking. Congrats on the score. What shape are the gill covers in and the question everyone wants to know but are afraid to ask how much were they? We hear a lot from people doing the C/L thing but not to often a pawn shop buy.Did you haggle w/ the dudes or price was set and firm.

The pawn shop was set pretty firm at $150, but I eventually got em down to $120 after walking and talking for a while.
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This! !

We'll gladly help you spend your money :twisted: Spend a little time with them now to learn how they sound, and then take them to a whole new level of sound quality by doing the mods! :eek:

Most definitely! I'm currently powering them with an H/K 3490. But I'm currently in talks with a buddy to get an Adcom GFA-555 power amplifier and using the HK as a preamp (but hopefully only for a short while)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited December 2013
    Options
    just an FYI you didn't need those binding post at all some here make a cable with RCA ends and trim off the outer petals(grippers) of the RCA. The blade part only come into effect when you need a A1 cord or build a dreadnaught. Weather it is for non-common ground items or just much better sound with a common ground item.
  • boston1450
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Attachment not found.
    JSGuru wrote: »
    Most definitely! I'm currently powering them with an H/K 3490. But I'm currently in talks with a buddy to get an Adcom GFA-555 power amplifier and using the HK as a preamp (but hopefully only for a short while)
    i run my SDA1c on a Adcom gfa555 & it does a wonderful job. There are alot of people on CP that can direct you into the right direction. SDA 's are different than alot of speakers out there. Enjoy them :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welcome to the club, you got a smokin' deal on a very nice pair of 1C's. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra holes you now have in the binding post cups, they come up for sale on ebay every now and then.

Feed your new SDA's with a good source coupled with clean power and they will reward you for a long while to come.
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    just an FYI you didn't need those binding post at all some here make a cable with RCA ends and trim off the outer petals(grippers) of the RCA. The blade part only come into effect when you need a A1 cord or build a dreadnaught. Weather it is for non-common ground items or just much better sound with a common ground item.

I like that RCA idea! Ill probably choose a different method to connect the two speakers together, No one here seems too fond of using nanner jacks for the interconnect.
  • JSGuru
    edited December 2013
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Attachment not found. i run my SDA1c on a Adcom gfa555 & it does a wonderful job. There are alot of people on CP that can direct you into the right direction. SDA 's are different than alot of speakers out there. Enjoy them :smile:

Awesome! I'm glad to see someone else using a 555 to power some 1C's! would you say $200 is a fair price for a gfa555 in great physical and functional condition?
  • boston1450
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Yes it is
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    edited December 2013
    Options
    in the camp that it's does nothing to enhance the sound

I'm in that camp.

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Man those are real nice and at $60 apiece a real steal !!! I will have to hit some pawn shops when I am off next week.

JSGuru wrote: »
    WOW! I was expecting a warm welcome and all...but DANG! You guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome!

Anyways, I took a few more pics of the grill covers and back of the speakers.

CAM00324.jpg
    CAM00329.jpg
    CAM00330.jpg

Also, I know you guys are curious on how much I paid for em, I was actually going to post that earlier, but totally forgot. Ha! I paid $120 bucks for the pair.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1