Options

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Had a really good one this past weekend, Blue Point Wet Hops Experiment:

http://bluepointbrewing.com/bpbc/microbrews/wet-hops-experiment/

Incredible hop profile. You hear brewers describe the citrus characteristic of their beer, this beer speaks for itself. Think grapefruit. Just beautiful stuff. Not too much, either. It was very easy to drink.

Also had a decent coffee porter, called Up All Night from Triple C Brewing in Charlotte

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29881/87421/?ba=Bung
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Have purchased a variety of Founders in the last couple of months and have been very impressed. Tonight is "Dirty ****".

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    edited January 2014
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Have purchased a variety of Founders in the last couple of months and have been very impressed. Tonight is "Dirty ****".

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/

Founders makes some good beers. That is definitely a good one. My one horse town actually has two decent beer shops! Lots of good craft beers and good wine selection!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'd seriously think about donating a body part in exchange for a steady supply of Kilkenny. It's an Irish cream ale of the same ilk as Guiness, but I can only find the damn thing in Irish bars in major cities on the east coast. While delicious on tap, I'd love to be able to stock my fridge with.......a few cases of this fine nectar. I guess Guiness will have to do in the meantime.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Kegerators open up bigger opportunities... if you like said beer that much, see if you can have the local establishment can order you the keg. Chances are in your favor.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I call upon you aficionados.

My Anchor Steam Xmas Ale keg is a few pints away from kicking and i need a suggestion for a good followup beer. Since we're still in the winter months and temps don't usually turn to t-shirt weather until the end of April-ish, i think i need a good, heavy bodied beer to fill the void until spring/summer arrives.

I'm thinking Founder's Breakfast Stout (since i haven't had it on tap here) or am open to other suggestions in the Stout/Porter department. I know this is cliche of me but i might get Sam Adams Black and Brew or their Chocolate Bock due to being easily available in this area.
    My only other caveats are that is has to be had in a Cornelius keg since i'm only one man and can't afford for beer to go bad as well as moderately priced. Local or non local doesn't matter as my local establishment will order whatever i want.

Let me know!
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited January 2014
    Options
    You could stay with the Anchor family and go with the Anchor Porter. Not as chewy as the Founders since it's a porter but tastes damn good on tap.
  • Eocuph
    Eocuph Posts: 75
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Just had some Gulden Draak from Bevmo. Wow amazing stuff!
  • cienega
    cienega Posts: 85
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm pulling out the big guns, you hopheads will understand. Picked up a six of Hopslam today. Yes, it's out and you better get your's fast if you want some.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • Eocuph
    Eocuph Posts: 75
    edited January 2014
    Options
    How does it taste?
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2014
    Options
    IMG_20140124_184108_020_zpsb8010a47.jpg

Good stuff!
  • cienega
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Eocuph wrote: »
    How does it taste?

Honestly, it's probably a little overrated but it's hard not to get caught up in the hype when it comes out. It's obviously hoppy with a bit of honey added and goes down very smooth (a little too smooth) for a 10% beer. With the winter we're having that's probably not a bad thing.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Malbec wrote: »
    You could stay with the Anchor family and go with the Anchor Porter. Not as chewy as the Founders since it's a porter but tastes damn good on tap.

Anchor Porter is excellet!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I having some Corodado Marmaid's Red (IRA) again excellent stuff!

I also had some Coronado Brewing Islander IPA. Damn fine IPA!! Highly recommended!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited January 2014
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Anchor Porter is excellet!
    Just wiped out a magnum of wine. And I love beer.
  • mrbiron
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Was it Mad Dog 20/20? The most delicious wine on and off of the planet.
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2014
    Options
    So, i picked up the "first Trappist" to be brewed in the United States. Who'da thunk it was right in my backyard in Spencer?? I ended up grabbing a 4 pack for $20, and split it with my brother who also shares the loves all things Beer! My plan is to have it tomorrow night while enjoying some tunes when the Mrs. heads out to get her hair did. This SHOULD be a good one.

http://radioboston.wbur.org/2014/02/03/trappist-beer

IMG_20140207_190635_934_zpse1606779.jpg
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Went away for the weekend and hit a few places in PA. Friday night we went to Iron Hill Brewing (in Delaware actually) and had their Citra IPA, Blonde Bombshell, and a cask conditioned Oompa Loompa Chocolate stout for dessert. Also picked up a big bottle of their Russian Imperial Stout for home. They're coming out with their Bourbon Russian Imperial Stout on draft at the end of them month, that stuff is phenomenal.

Saturday went to a place called Two Stones Pub In Kennett Square PA. Had a Cigar City Jai Alai which was really good. My wife and I stayed for about four hours eating good food and watching the Olympics. Think I tried about 6 others, but for some reason I can't recall all their names. The cool thing about that place was they offered 8oz beers. Perfect size when you want to try a few different styles.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2014
    Options
    You are absolutely correct! 8oz is perfect for sampling. At my monthly beer gathering, its the amount we HAD to adopt after the first couple gatherings. 8-10 full pints of high test really makes things get ugly. Now, after the adjustment, it only gets half ugly. :-)

Drinking a tall boy of Rogue's Beard Beer. A little too sweet but not bad.
  • Malbec
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Had this 5 gallon batch of Belgian Strong Dark Ale in the secondary fermenter for the month of January. Kegged it over the weekend and force carbing this week. Probably sample it next weekend.

P1110283.jpeg
  • JerryR1verz
    JerryR1verz Posts: 76
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi all - New to the forum and wanted to share a recent brewski I had - Cisco Grey Lady Ale Beer - Massachusetts. It had a hint of spice... I thought it was very good.
    Polk Monitor 10
    Polk Monitor 7
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2014
    Options
    First post in an audio forum for the beer thread......I dig it! :)

It's a Nantucket company. Decent shtuff from what i can remember.

Malbec - I see a bunch of Lagunitas Hairy Eyeballs and a single of anchor steam xmas. I couldn't quite get into the Eyeball and you already know my standing on the Anchor. (can't place the others) The question is, when do you start shying away from the darker beers of winter and start peering at your spring/summer beers? The only reason i ask is i'm in a keg hunt but can't quite decide where to look.
    As a side note, are you kit brewing or do you actually make your own? I've done a dozen + kits but feel i don't have enough experience to fully understand how to make good beer from individual ingredients.
  • Malbec
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hey MB

Dark beer is in the house year 'round in one style or another. Just when I thought I was all stouted out, Lagunitas should be releasing their Cappuccino Stout this month. Usually after the holidays the percentage starts to shift away from the richer darker beers toward the lighter session beers. Last week I got a sixtel of a Pale Ale style from my local brew pub.
  • Malbec
    edited February 2014
    Options
    What the hell happened to the rest of my reply on homebrewing?????
    I'll get back to ya.
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Have another. :P
  • cienega
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Malbec wrote: »
    What the hell happened to the rest of my reply on homebrewing?????
    I'll get back to ya.

Looking forward to hearing more about your homebrewing. I just started myself and bottled my first batch last weekend, I'll try the first one probably tomorrow - a red ale. Have an IPA in the primary right now. Hope they turn out.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • Malbec
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thank you sir, may I have another?
    I'm doing partial mash kits on the stovetop. The flavors seem to have more character and a little more defined than what an all extract kit gives you. All grain is on the horizon as soon as I get set up for it. I don't have any experience with all grain either but I'm going to. I know a couple guys whose brains I can pick if I need any hand holding.
    cienega, looks like you've been busy. I thought about doing a red ale or brown ale next. Probably a brown. Any brewing books on your list that you refer to?
  • cienega
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm working my way up to all grain as well. "How to Brew" by John Palmer is a good book I refer to. It's easy to get info overload so I look at his book and talk to the local brewers at Brewtensils where I buy my supplies. It's conveniently located next to this place: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3769/ where I go for inspiration.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • mrbiron
    edited February 2014
    Options
    So I finally cracked open the bottle of Sam Adams Utopias. WOW! This stuff is "knock you eye out" strong on the first sip. Initial impression is strong liquor taste with molasses. Two fingers were poured into a Bourbon glass and that was all. Definitely does not have the immediate recognisable beer taste but after the 3rd or 4th sip, the beer suttleties started to shine through. Would I recommend, f-bomb yeah! Everyone should try this stuff when the opportunity shows itself.

The best part, after 5 of us sampled, I still have 1/2 a bottle.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2014
    Options
    It was snowing like crazy today, so myself the wife and grandson went to the outdoor show to rid ourselves of the cabin fever blues stuck a couple of these in the freshly fallen snow on the deck. We just got back these ice cold Stella's sure hit the spot, Belgiums finest. A big A$$ Stella in my big A$$ glass ahhh. ;)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)