Polk RTi10 tweeks

Options
Peter Fleming
Peter Fleming Posts: 49
edited December 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi Guys, I was just curious if any of you out there had modified your RTi10 speakers to open up the midrange and mellow the top end slightly. I'm not happy with mine, and looking at either modifying or selling them.

I look forward to your comments.
Post edited by Peter Fleming on

Comments

• Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Or, has anybody heard of any modifications or tweeks being done to the RTi10's?

They are a good HT speaker, but IMO they struggle as a music speaker.
  • hydrostream
    hydrostream Posts: 549
    edited December 2008
    Options
    As far as music i think they suck. I sold my RTi8s to get the 10s
    and wish i still had the 8s.
    jerry
    Main- GTP-500II,GDC-600,GFA-555II and energy C-500s
    Basement-Audiosource pre/tuner,GFA-545,Onkyo
    DX-1400 and RTI10s
    Garage-GTP-450,onkyo M-282 and R50s with RTi55
    drivers and X-overs.
    My baby 18' V-king Mod VP with a merc 2.4 BP.
    KTM 620 Supermoto
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I agree, I was attempting to be diplomatic! I virtually gave away my 10b monitors for the RTi10's. Can you feel my pain?
    As far as music i think they suck. I sold my RTi8s to get the 10s
    and wish i still had the 8s.
    jerry
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Peter, try putting a 1ohm resistor in line with the positive feed to the tweeter(s). This should tame down the top end. The RTi-10's are an excellent speaker. They were just built and designed for HT and not 2-channel. With that in mind, when you tame the tweeter it should become a great speaker for 2-channel.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I say find a speaker you do like instead of putting money and time into a speaker you hate. After doing tweaks & mods it's still going to be a RTI 10.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited December 2008
    Options
    True Lee, but for a mod that is of a $3.00 value? Come on man. It's worth a shot. Who knows? It may become the speaker that rocks his world.

For no cost, the OP could always change it back for free. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi treitz3, I had heard of that before, and considered doing it, however the biggest flaw with these speakers is the constrained, underwhelming mid-range and limited soundstaging. My RTi10's are well and truly "burned in" and I had hoped they would open up with time. I've change amp's and borrowed several others with the same result.

They are beautifully constructed and a well finished speaker. It is very disappointing that these were made by Polk. I had my Monitor 10b's for 25 years and loved them, and assumed the RTi10's would be the next level. It's only recently I learned they are a HT speaker. I would describe them as a 2-way speaker - plenty of bass and tons of treble, but nothing in the middle!
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Peter, try putting a 1ohm resistor in line with the positive feed to the tweeter(s). This should tame down the top end. The RTi-10's are an excellent speaker. They were just built and designed for HT and not 2-channel. With that in mind, when you tame the tweeter it should become a great speaker for 2-channel.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    That one mid driver is the killer for the rti 10's
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi leroyjr, I had the same thoughts about wasting money on something that may never deliver. I just wondered if others had come up with a solution, or dare I say, a RTi10 upgrade kit for 2-channel music!

I listened to a set of entry level B & W 684's the other day with an average, low wattage amp and they just rocked!! Brilliant soundstage and midrange. Since then I haven't listened to my RTi10's.
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    I say find a speaker you do like instead of putting money and time into a speaker you hate. After doing tweaks & mods it's still going to be a RTI 10.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi leroyjr, I had the same thoughts about wasting money on something that may never deliver. I just wondered if others had come up with a solution, or dare I say, a RTi10 upgrade kit for 2-channel music!

I listened to a set of entry level B & W 684's the other day with an average, low wattage amp and they just rocked!! Brilliant soundstage and midrange. Since then I haven't listened to my RTi10's.

It's sometimes hard to build a all in one system that satisfies both home theater & music needs. Thats why so many people build a seperate 2 channel rig.

My advice would be either find a speaker that performs well for both or build a seperate 2 channel system.
    Look at the SDA line , many on here find them great for both.
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I was wondering if I replaced a bass driver with another mid driver. I have no technical knowledge on these matters, but I would assume this would upset the whole internal configuration, and I'd probably need a sub with my 2 channel rig? Its 2.0 channel for me, not 2.1.
    That one mid driver is the killer for the rti 10's
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I was wondering if I replaced a bass driver with another mid driver. I have no technical knowledge on these matters, but I would assume this would upset the whole internal configuration, and I'd probably need a sub with my 2 channel rig? Its 2.0 channel for me, not 2.1.

That wouldn't work because the woofers are 7 inches and the mids are 6 1/2. Also you would have to redo you crossover. Too much of a hassel IMO.

Look at the LSI & SDA line of speakers.. May be a option for you. Why did you get rid of the monitors you had?
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    You'd be right leroyjr, but HT speakers don't need to be as good or as expensive as speakers used for 2 channel stereo.

Unfortunately the RTi10's in Australia were expensive and traded on the Polk name. Had I known the RTi10's were an inadequate stereo speaker I would have retained my 10b's for the stereo rig and purchased some cheaper bookshelf speakers for the HT. I would be a $1000.00 in front had I done that!
    It's sometimes hard to build a all in one system that satisfies both home theater & music needs. Thats why so many people build a seperate 2 channel rig.

My advice would be either find a speaker that performs well for both or build a seperate 2 channel system.
    Look at the SDA line , many on here find them great for both.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Just realized your in Australia. Do you have any stereo shops near you?
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I got rid of the 10b's because I fell under the spell of HT. When I got bored with it and returned to music, I realised I stuffed up. Yepp, I'm a dickhead, I have no defence!
    That wouldn't work because the woofers are 7 inches and the mids are 6 1/2. Also you would have to redo you crossover. Too much of a hassel IMO.

Look at the LSI & SDA line of speakers.. May be a option for you. Why did you get rid of the monitors you had?
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Yepp we have a few here, and was hoping to exhaust all avenues before losing tons on the RTi10's and spending more on new speakers. I'm not sure if it's pride, or facing my tone deaf wife?
    Just realized your in Australia. Do you have any stereo shops near you?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited December 2008
    Options
    When I bought my RTiA7's I had first demo'd the Rti10's which are basically the same speakers in a new housing. But something was different. The A7's weren't nearly as bright and in my opinion had a more pleasing midrange. I have to assume that there was a crossover change of some kind from the 10's to the A7's that made the A7's a much better sounding speaker for music.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I'm running a Accuphase E205 amp, Rega 3 TT with Ortofon Rhondo Blue MC, Rotel 820B CDP, Esoteric Audio Speedcable, and Ugly interconnects.
    anonymouse wrote: »
    What does the rest of your rig look like? Source, processing, interconnects, amp, speaker cables?
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Have you checked out ebay or craigslist for any Polk speakers in your area or willing to ship?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Do the crossovers. Get some decent caps, and you mids will clear up for sure. I never really cared for the too laid back sound of the mids in the LSI's, but some new caps, and resistors and it was better than all good.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi Leroyjr, no mate, my love of Polk speakers (new) is over. If a set of older Polks came my way like SDA'a or monitors then I'd jump at them. With new speakers I'd go B&W, Dynaudio, Quad, Focal ........
    Have you checked out ebay or craigslist for any Polk speakers in your area or willing to ship?
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi ben, I think that would be an unjustified costly exercise as I wouldn't be able to do the task myself. I think in the end they would still lack the integrity of a decent music speaker. If I could hear some that had been tweeked and I would know the end result, well that could be a different scenario. But in this instance I'm not going to take the gamble.
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Do the crossovers. Get some decent caps, and you mids will clear up for sure. I never really cared for the too laid back sound of the mids in the LSI's, but some new caps, and resistors and it was better than all good.
    Ben
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Well I bit the bullet and took the loss ($). I sold my RTi10's as I could not listen to them any longer.

I'm now considering purchasing B&W683's. I had a demo with my R3 TT and Accuphase amp, huge stepup from the Polks.

Also considering the Dynaudio Audience 72's. Both speakers are currently well priced due to the current economic climate!
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I have RTi10's and 10B's

the 10B's truly do blow away the RTi for music
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi wizzy, well it's good to know it wasn't all in my head! If only I'd done a direct comparison with them I would be in possession of the 10b's and $1100.00 richer! A lesson well learned.

Moving on though, I ordered a set of B&W 683's today and hope to get 'em soon! Hopefully my love for music will be an enjoyable pastime again??

wizzy wrote: »
    I have RTi10's and 10B's

the 10B's truly do blow away the RTi for music
  • sandworms
    sandworms Posts: 1,043
    edited December 2008
    Options
    great, i'm in the same boat with my disappointment in the rti10's looks like another pair for sale soon
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Hi sandworms, I feel your pain. I went through denial, then disappointment, then disgust, then sold them! My new B&W683's have reminded me why I like music!
    sandworms wrote: »
    great, i'm in the same boat with my disappointment in the rti10's looks like another pair for sale soon
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Peter, Today was the first time I really sat down and listened to my monitor 10's for a couple hours. All I can say is they do IMO sound better than my RTI's and LSI speakers for music. I was very impressed and the thing about it is they can be had in the U.S. for about $100. Best $100 speaker I've heard so far.

I'm starting to sound like the old timers on here. :eek:
  • Peter Fleming
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Geez, you know how to hurt a guy! Honestly though you don't know how fortunate you are living in the US when it comes to hi-fi. I look at a lot of used hi-fi sites and FS forums in the US and the stuff that is available is mindblowing, and the price brings a tear to my eye! Yes it is true, I suffer from vintage hi-fi envy! Good condition monitor 10's would go for about $450 to $600 AUD, and our dollar has copped a smashing recently! But you are right, they are the best sounding speakers for a $100, it's gold Jerry! I was contemplating coming over there when the Aussie dollar picked up and fill a sea container of quality bargain hi-fi gear and bring it back here and open shop. Perth is the most isolated capital city in the world, but when it comes to hi-end vintage hi-fi it's almost like living on Gilligan's Island! As for old timers and vintage hi-fi - bring it on! Enjoy those 10's, for me.

Peter, Today was the first time I really sat down and listened to my monitor 10's for a couple hours. All I can say is they do IMO sound better than my RTI's and LSI speakers for music. I was very impressed and the thing about it is they can be had in the U.S. for about $100. Best $100 speaker I've heard so far.

I'm starting to sound like the old timers on here. :eek: