PSW10 auto on/off switch

delyan
delyan Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Troubleshooting
I was searching for a similar question but I didn't find any so I'm posting a new thread!
I just bought a PSW10 sub. The only problem that I have is that I can't understand the auto on/off switch on the back of the speaker! Believe it or not, the manual does not mention too much about it. What I read in the manual is that this is a 2 phase switch: ON and AUTO, but my switch on the back of the speaker is 3 phase: ON, AUTO and OFF.
Also, when I turn the switch to AUTO it never turns the sub on when it senses a signal! The sub turns on only when I turn the switch manually to the ON position.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you in advance.:)
Post edited by delyan on

Comments

• wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited November 2008
    The "Auto" position is just that, the sub "Automatically" turns on when it senses a signal. Mine gets hung up sometimes and I have to toggle the switch to "On" and it will fire up. One thing to check may be to see if you have a subwoofer option in your receiver somewhere and make sure it is set to "On". Experimenting may solve this problem for you, how do you have it hooked up to your receiver? You may not be doing anything wrong, and if it only seems to work in the "On" position; leave it there. Just remember to turn it back to "Off" when you are done. Good luck and welcome to Club Polk fellow Connecticutian (wow is that not a word) I was born and raised in Tolland Ct.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • delyan
    edited November 2008
    We got the first snow today here in Connecticut.:cool:
    The receiver is set to ON for a subwoofer, the connection is one RCA cable from SUB OUT (receiver) to the LINE IN L (subwoofer) as the manual says. The only time the subwoofer senses the signal is when I turn the switch to ON.
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited November 2008
    delyan wrote: »
    Also, when I turn the switch to AUTO it never turns the sub on when it senses a signal! The sub turns on only when I turn the switch manually to the ON position.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you in advance.:)

I'm not sure if I dreamt this or if I really read it like I think but you might try using a "Y" connector and plugging in to both the L and R sub input. IIRC some sub to receiver match ups are not perfect and the AVR signal is not strong enough, or the sub circuit is not sensitive enough to always turn on when it should. Using the Y was supposed to help.
  • delyan
    edited November 2008
    A little update here. I was watching "The Black Dahlia" and suddenly on one of the scenes the sub started "boosting" low frequencies (it was on AUTO). Nice! I looked at the back of the sub and the light was green, not red like most of the time. I guess the sub works only when it senses LFE instead of being ON all the time. I guess this sub is smarter than my older sub.:)
  • Kevan
    Kevan Posts: 2
    edited December 2008
    Hi
    My PSW10 is 4 yrs old and has just started to cut in and out. Sort of.! It seems to work fine and then suddenly it really emphasises the base, too much and then drops back to normal levels. I haven’t adjusted anything for a long time prior to this so the set up is the same as its always been for 4 yrs. I leave the sub in ON mode all the time and its hooked up to the speaker out puts of my receiver. After reading your post i wonder if i should drive it from the RCA sub out from my receiver. Perhaps that will fix it.?

Is this the same as your problem?

kind regards
    kev
  • delyan
    edited December 2008
    Kevan wrote: »
    Hi
    My PSW10 is 4 yrs old and has just started to cut in and out. Sort of.! It seems to work fine and then suddenly it really emphasises the base, too much and then drops back to normal levels. I haven’t adjusted anything for a long time prior to this so the set up is the same as its always been for 4 yrs. I leave the sub in ON mode all the time and its hooked up to the speaker out puts of my receiver. After reading your post i wonder if i should drive it from the RCA sub out from my receiver. Perhaps that will fix it.?

Is this the same as your problem?

kind regards
    kev

I don't see a problem for now. It kicks in when it senses LFE. If you hook up your sub through the L or R line input, don't forget to turn the "Low Pass" filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input. (according to the manual).
  • Kevan
    Kevan Posts: 2
    edited December 2008
    Hi
    I tried hooking my sub up to the Sub out of my amp but it didn’t seem to do much. Even with the volume on the sub turned up it didn’t make much noise. I only have one RCA out for the sub on my amp. Should i split it to connect to both RCA in on the sub?

What front speakers do you have? I have very small polk speakers on the front. They are all top and a little mid but no bass what so ever. So i need my sub to generate al the bass and low frequencies. Do you have bigger front speakers? and only use the sub for LFE?
    Cheers
    kev
  • SirCujo
    SirCujo Posts: 15
    edited December 2008
    If you have it plugged into the LFE input, that is a strange track that many seem to misunderstand. The LFE track is a specific Dolby track for Low Frequencies for a subwoofer. Most Radio and CD tracks do NOT include an LFE track. If you are using analog outs, the LFE track will again be lost in a DVD's downmix. You may be able to set your reciever/tuner/amp to send mains and LFE to your sub, then set the crossover frequencies either on the sub or receiver. Receiver would be idea. Since if it routes it to your sub, it wont send it to your main speakers.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2008
    IIRC the PSW10 doesn't have an LFE input, and isn't designed to be used with a receivers low pass filter. I'm pretty sure you have to hook it up in stereo with a Y adapter to get the full effects of everything.

I may be wrong though.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited December 2008
  • I just bought a PSW10 Subwoofer. On the back the 3 way Toggle Power Switch is ID'd as bottom location OFF - mid AUTO- top ON. A red light comes on when switch is off. When toggled to Auto a green light comes on. When toggled to ON a green light comes on.

Comment: My concern is, is the subwoofer full power on all the time after I turn the TV/Radio Receiver off? I want it to be in Standby mode when the Receiver is turned off.

Question: I'm guessing the Subwoofer, with the switch at the AUTO location(red light on), will have the AMP powered down or off until a LFE signal is sensed which will turn the AMP (and green light) on. Then if a LFE signal is not received for a while (15 min) then the AMP will power down or turn off and return to what I call "Standby" at which time the light turns red?
  • jsm1963
    jsm1963 Posts: 4
    Wait - your AUTO POWER is in the middle? Mine is at the top, with OFF at the bottom and the middle not labeled. I'll assume that's ON. My problem is that even in ON (continuous/middle) the light turns red after awhile. I assume that means that it's off. (The manual for this is terrible!)
    xsailer wrote: »
    I just bought a PSW10 Subwoofer. On the back the 3 way Toggle Power Switch is ID'd as bottom location OFF - mid AUTO- top ON. A red light comes on when switch is off. When toggled to Auto a green light comes on. When toggled to ON a green light comes on.

Comment: My concern is, is the subwoofer full power on all the time after I turn the TV/Radio Receiver off? I want it to be in Standby mode when the Receiver is turned off.

Question: I'm guessing the Subwoofer, with the switch at the AUTO location(red light on), will have the AMP powered down or off until a LFE signal is sensed which will turn the AMP (and green light) on. Then if a LFE signal is not received for a while (15 min) then the AMP will power down or turn off and return to what I call "Standby" at which time the light turns red?