which amp?

Options
bmsavoie
bmsavoie Posts: 32
edited May 2003 in Electronics
After a year and a half of collecting I finally have all the speakers I want, for now.The next step is amps, because it is just not loud enough, I am looking for suggestions and or advice on amps. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by bmsavoie on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum bm. There's no easy answer to your question. We need to know more about your system. Which pre-amp will you be using? Which speakers do you own? How much are you willing to spend?
    As for the amps, Rotel, NAD, B&K, Adcom all make good stuff.

Maurice
  • bmsavoie
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks organ, have not made any desicions about anything yet just trying to figure the whole amp, pre-amp thing out. Price hasn't been decided yet either, depends what i figure i need, i guess? Anyhow here is my system, thanks Receiver- hk avr520
    DVD- rca
    TV- sony wega kv-36fv300
    Mains- rt2000i
    Center- cs400i
    Surrounds- fx500
    Sub- psw450
    Cables- monster
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I don't know much about HK receivers but I bet the one you own has pre-outs. You can look at some 5ch amps. If you're into stereo a lot more than HT you can spend the same amount of money and use a 2ch amp only for the mains(shoud sound better than same priced 5ch).

Maurice
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm thinking ditch the HK and get into a better receiver.......a thought
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bmsavoie
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I think now I will start looking into recievers to see what's out there.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I say ADCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2003
    Options
    welcome bmsavoie, give us some more imfo, how much you want to spend, what speakers you have , whats your amp now.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by joe logston
    welcome bmsavoie, give us some more imfo, how much you want to spend, what speakers you have , whats your amp now.

Joe, do you even read these threads? BM gave his system specs and wants/desires 3 or 4 posts up.
    Originally posted by bmsavioe

Receiver- hk avr520
    DVD- rca
    TV- sony wega kv-36fv300
    Mains- rt2000i
    Center- cs400i
    Surrounds- fx500
    Sub- psw450
    Cables- monster
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i say get a good power amp and use yor hk as a pre. that is my upgrade path. adcom is nice and so b&k i havent herd much else. i got a 7 channel adcom for 1300 7 channels 125 a channel. the shop i got my amp at had a b&k 200 a channel on sale for 2k. i am new to the power amps thing so i am lerning too. stick around and you can lern too.
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Best bang for the buck---Rotel
    Rick
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Since some of you are adding your best bang for the buck amp, I thought I'd add mine......NAD BABY!!!!!

Don't be too concerned about the pre at the moment. Try using your H/K as a pre first and see if you're satisfied with it's performance as a pre-amp both for HT and stereo. If you're not happy with it's HT performance, look for a HT pre/pro(can get pricey). If you're not satisfied with it's stereo performance, add a 2ch pre to the mix.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    b,
    I agree with the others about using your HK's front end a while. You seem to have been patient so far, so why jump straight to a new AVR now? IMO put your bucks in the power at this point.

But regardless, are we talking strictly new electronics or are you open to used?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bmsavoie
    edited May 2003
    Options
    thanks everyone, used equipment would be fine if in good condition and a decent deal. Still have to do the research on amps havn't had the time lately, hoping to get to it soon, but just reading in the forum has taught me quite a bit so far. As for time , with 3 kids between 8 and 1 1/2 , waiting is the only way I get my toys. thank for all the advice everyone.