NOt sounding right.

Ecin
Ecin Posts: 61
edited April 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i have two sr124dvc on two jl 500/1. on some songs the sub vibrates brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for a long time
on other songs it does boom boom like i guess it's suppose to. they are on two sealed enclosures the size polk recomends on their site. Another thing is, i don't feel it hard as 400$ subs shoould. i seen ppl with way cheaper stuff and it's very loud. should i replace my amps..

one last questions how should the subs be facing for optimal sound. UP, towards the front of the car, towards the back, towards each other, or towards the side of the car.

also i have sr6500 in the front, what should be the cutoff for the speakers and the subs.. thx
Post edited by Ecin on

Comments

• jaysonbarnett
    jaysonbarnett Posts: 257
    edited April 2008
    Towards the back because you need the sound to bounce around before it gets to you. I would go to a shop and have them hook different amps up and see which one sounds the best for your car. I did the same thing, and it is easy for them plus they might get a sale. If you have any more questions let me know.later
    Audio:
    Onkyo :tx-sr805
    Polk: rti8's
    Polk: rti4's
    Polk: fxi3's
    Polk: csi'3
    Velodyne: VRP 1200
    Epik: Caliber
    Video:
    Panasonic:TH-42PX60U 42"Plasma
    Power Conditioner:
    Monster Power
    : HTS 3600 MKII Home Theater
    Dvd:
    Sony: BDP-350
    Game Systems
    WII
    PS3
  • BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited April 2008
    SRs are designed, to my understanding, for SQ not SPL. But with the sensitivity and power ratings you should be able to get plenty of output. Some cheaper subs may get louder but I doubt will ever sound as good.
    Not all songs are going to play loud, they just aren't recorded that way and you should be able to tell that if you have everything set up right. the JL amps you have should already do a fine job. What kind of car are is your set up in? What kind of music isn't sounding right?
    You may just need to adjust a few things to get the sound you want.
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    So you have a 500/1 on each sub? Thats underpowering them a tad but its still enough grunt that you should be getting plenty of output. Im running 800 to my single SR12 and its WAY more output than I need. Ive got the sub channel -9 db right now to keep it from blowing away the front stage.

If you have your subs firing into the cabin youre going to get a lot of cancellation from the back wave reflecting into the cabin out of phase. Either fire them to the rear of the car or build an airtight baffle for the subs so that theyre sealed off from the back wave.

As for the buzz, I would think something is loose. Maybe the box or where its mounted to.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Ecin
    edited April 2008
    the car is an E320.. I mainly listen to reggaeton, bachata, merengue, and hip hop.. the bad sound is mostly in some hip hop. It sounds like a long vibration. and to be honest. the stock harman kardon sounded better when it wasn't farting.. not that it did that often.

Also my options for new amps are kicker and eclipse because that's what i can get at less than half off. Probably 1000 watts each btw, if i do that do i need a cap?? my inside lights flicker but not my headlight -xenon.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    no u wont need a cap, 1000 watts to each would be great.... what kinda box are they in?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Ecin
    edited April 2008
    sealed 3/4 mdf

Box Properties
    Type Single Sealed
    Shape square
    Enclosure details 1.20 cu. ft. (33.98 liters)

Overall External Dimensions
    Width 16" (40.64cm)
    Height 18" (45.72cm)
    Depth 11-1/2" (29.21cm)

how can i fit those kickers?? the 2 jls and the sony 2channel is attatched to the back seat but i don't think the kickers can fit there
  • Ecin
    edited April 2008
    I'm assuming this would be overkill http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/za1200.html 1200w @ 2 ohms.