Options
2»

Comments

• geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Boywonder wrote: »
    Since the finish still shows the wood pores, it was a bit of a pain to get the compound out of the pores; this was done by using a toothbrush and paint thinner.

Same thing for me. But even that didn't do it, so I had to cheat a little bit. A generous application of furniture polish colored the sanding residue so it looked natural.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Sir, I've gotta tell you that is one hell of a good looking veneering job. If, when I finally do my 5B's, get it looking 1/10th as good as those do I will be thrilled!

What's your woodworking experience? I truly am impressed with how they're shaping up!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Boywonder
    Boywonder Posts: 225
    edited February 2008
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Now that's what a pair of 10's ought to look like! I'm really impressed by how the finished backs really add so more elegance to these speakers. What adhesive did you use to re-attach the serial number stickers?
    Geoff

3M spray 77 adhesive. 3M artists "spray-ment" (green/white spray can) may also work well. Don't use 3M artists "spray-mount" (red/white spray can) as that is for temporary work.
  • Boywonder
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Refefer wrote: »
    Sir, I've gotta tell you that is one hell of a good looking veneering job. If, when I finally do my 5B's, get it looking 1/10th as good as those do I will be thrilled!

What's your woodworking experience? I truly am impressed with how they're shaping up!

Well, years ago I started out as a complete hack, and learned by my mistakes. I still make woodworking mistakes, just less now than in the past, and, most importantly, I still have all of my fingers.

Here are the lessons learned from this project:

Use Type II (indoor/outdoor/waterproof) PVA glue for the veneer, and the veneer doesn't curl nearly as much.

Don't skimp on covering the surfaces with glue (consider 2 coats), as bubbles will result if the glue coverage is too thin.

If you use stain under lacquer, the lacquer will lift the stain and make spot repairs difficult during finishing. You can always wipe everything off and start over.

Automotive rubbing compound (and worse polishing compound) is a pain in the **** to get out of the pores of the veneer.
  • geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Boywonder,
    I was just looking at how you removed the old veneer. Do you have any recommendations on removing old veneer that is extremely stubborn? On my Monitor 5's, I can barely pry any of it off, even with heat. I might have to just prep it and re-finish over the top of it.
    Geoff
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • Boywonder
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Geoff-Heat gun and putty knife....Enough heat, and it will come off. It may be a little gooey when totally overheated, but it should come off. I kept the heat gun a little ahead of the putty knife/scraper.

Have you tried the scaper without any heat?

I may have gotten lucky with vinyl removal, since one speaker's vinyl practically fell off, just came off in big sheets, no heat required. I am assuming that was from UV exposure possibly. The other speaker required heat.

If you veneer over the vinyl, any edges from the vinyl will telegraph through the veneer....So get it all off or leave it all on. If you do a flat/matte finish on the veneer, you may not notice it, but if you want gloss, then you need a flat substrate to stick the veneer to.

If you are going to use PVA (yellow wood glue) use type II/exterior and lay down a good coat on both surfaces.

Lasareath-you are on your own here! There's no better way to figure something out/learn something new than jumping in with both feet.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Awesome Job!!!

Can I mail you my 7's to have re-done?

Sal
    Sal, those cabinets are like new! :(
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited March 2008
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Boywonder,
    I was just looking at how you removed the old veneer. Do you have any recommendations on removing old veneer that is extremely stubborn? On my Monitor 5's, I can barely pry any of it off, even with heat. I might have to just prep it and re-finish over the top of it.
    Geoff

I used a paint stripping heat gun (Wagner) on my Model 10's without incident.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • JesseS
    JesseS Posts: 14
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Awesome work Boywonder! This is so cool. Great thread! Is anyone still reading???

Luckily, my restored Monitor 10s are in their lovely, original, real wood veneer.

But the 5s I just picked up are hideous in vinyl laminate with scuffs and lifting at the edges. I have faith in my being able to remove the vinyl, and I might prefer the bare MDF to the way it looks now. But I can't see how I would manage to deal with the front bevel if I recover in wood veneer. I don't have shop equipment or the skills to cut the bevel and remake mitered strips.

So, I'm thinking of painting the bevels black, then veneering the sides, top, and bottom panels. Probably spiffy?
  • krazypolk
    Options
    The main character ain't a been here in over 13 years, ya know.
  • Boywonder
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »

He's still around ;) ....just re-read this thread....speakers still look great.. haha
  • Boywonder
    Options
    JesseS wrote: »

So, I'm thinking of painting the bevels black, then veneering the sides, top, and bottom panels. Probably spiffy?

Yes I think that would be a good way to go if you don't have access to a tablesaw....just sand the edge of the veneer to match the bevel of the front beveled edge.
  • krazypolk
    Options

He's still around ;) ....just re-read this thread....speakers still look great.. haha

How is it possible to go 8+ years without a peep and the moment I call you out for not being here anymore...voila! You're back. :o

Ps. I read your FS thread on those really nice 1C's. Did they ever sell?
  • Boywonder
    Options
    TPs. I read your FS thread on those really nice 1C's. Did they ever sell?

Yup.....funny enough they sold locally on CL...but the buyer also saw them listed here.
  • Boywonder
    Options
    ...not sure how I screwed up the text above...

Yup.....funny enough they sold locally on CL...but the buyer also saw them listed here.

• krazypolk
    Options
    ...not sure how I screwed up the text above...

They proved to be a bump...y sale. :D
    Those'll be good for another 20 years.
  • Boywonder
    Options

They proved to be a bump...y sale. :D
    Those'll be good for another 20 years.

It's highly likely that my monitor 10's will also be good for another 20 years..I really like them.....although they are somewhat old-school looking....they have been daily drivers for the past 13 years...stereo on most of the day when I'm home.
  • rodman53
    Options
    Great, great job Boywonder on those 10's. I wish i had your skills. Do you still have them BTW?
  • Boywonder
    Options
    Yup....still have them
  • Boywonder
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Since I'm bored.....I've been thinking about making new cabinets for my 10B's....
    Layout similar to the Lsi15 .....same box volume, PR on the side.
    Has anyone done anything like this?