Dear Forum, What is a good front speaker?

bensontm
bensontm Posts: 31
Any thoughts on the RTi150s?
"Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Surround Center - Polk CS400i
Post edited by bensontm on

Comments

• bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Any thoughts on the RTi100s?

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    what do your ears tell you?How about the depth of your wallet?

Both speakes are nice in there own rights,but you need to like em.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Purchased a second pair of Infinity Entra 3s for surrounds on sale for $500 a pair at CC. Got the first pair for the same price. Got a Polk CS400i open box for $200 at CC. One good deal CC offers is that they will refund the discounted amount from any speaker purchased at full price when the sale is within 30 days of the original purchase.

North of Pittsburgh, in Natrona Heights, there has been a speciality audio store which has been in business since I moved there with my family in the late sixties. We used to go their and look at the six foot tall EPIs for $1000 per speaker (That would be $3,000 in today's dollars accounting for inflation). For a a teenager that was impressive along with ALL the other wonderful audio delights to oogle. I suppose their offerings have grown with technology over the past thirty years. Did not get a chance to visit since I was only there for six months on my way from a job in WA DC to WA WA.

Now I am on the northwest coast and I was doing an internet search about Paradigm speakers and I found a similar type of store in my new hometown. They only carry three lines of speakers which are in the, as the salesman called it, "lower upper end range?". I will have to relive my teenage years and check this place out. Sort of blow the stink off from the "electronic department" store, although that is where I got my system. I used to think that Butch's Sound Shack was were all the Steelers went for their stereos because of the prices.

My wife was starting to complain that I seem to have a compulsion with the Polk Forum. I think she is starting to see the "light", excuse me, I meant "hear the sound" with the new setup.

Western Pennsylvaniaeese:

Thank yoons.

Movie time.

Our L/R surround speakers have been lowered to only 14" above the L/R front speakers and also they have been turned to face each other. Idea from www.dolby.com. Surround back is on top of a six foot book shelf. All fronts are at ear level.

The aiming of the L/R surround speakers towards each other has really made a nice difference as opposed to their previous strait forward aiming. Seems to diffuse the sound a lot better, expecially since the the front to back walls are only 12' apart.

I have been so busy at work I have not had time to think too much about sound waves and speaker placements. Duhhhh. Got the idea from www.dolby.com.

It sounds like Home Theater time, yes, without the jerk bouncing his knee against the back of your theater seat and ALL the rest.

Hallalujeh, it is movie time.

|F-Speaker
    |
    |C-TV
    Chair
    < Back Surround
    |
    |F-Speaker
    |
    ^Surround
    |______________________________|

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    NEW SETUP:

I just purchased an Infinity Entra Two Center channel speaker for the top my television which is surrounded by two Entra Three towers sitting on the floor. I have two more Entra Three towers for my left and right surrounds which I have aimed at each other. I then took the CS400i Polk 250 watt center speaker and placed it between the surround Entra Three tower speakers on the floor facing directly upwards. Maybe those sound waves are crashing into each other in the back and diffusing all over the place. The Polk center was too powerful in the front center position as all the other speakers are 150 watt. I am now in hog heaven. The Polk really works well in this position and I can adjust my Onkyo 600 receiver to 0 setting for all speakers, except for the subwoofer, which is set to -3 per Doctor Specs directive. Ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    I LET MY EARS BE THE GUIDE.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by bensontm
    I LET MY EARS BE THE GUIDE.
    One of the most intelligent posts I have read in here.
    This is where you use your soul.;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited March 2003
    NEW SETUP:

I just purchased an Infinity Entra Two Center channel speaker for the top my television which is surrounded by two Entra Three towers sitting on the floor. I have two more Entra Three towers for my left and right surrounds which I have aimed at each other.

I'm glad that you are really happy with your setup. Did you ever compare that to the Polk R50? Be nice please. What makes you decide on the Entra Three?
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    I did get a demonstration of the R50s and Entra Threes in a Circuit City listening room. They used a two channel 100 watts per channel RMS Onkyo receiver the demonstration. I planned on getting a good subwoofer and setting all speakers to small with a crossover of 80Hz and my ears liked the more sterile sound from the Entras. My ears heard the R50s as a little mushy bassy sounding, although I would leap to the RTi70s with an unlimited budget.

I visually checked the construction from top, bottom, back and sides which was a second check after listening (I like to knock with my knuckles on the sides and back of speakers).

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited March 2003
    I did get a demonstration of the R50s and Entra Threes in a Circuit City listening room. They used a two channel 100 watts per channel RMS Onkyo receiver the demonstration. I planned on getting a good subwoofer and setting all speakers to small with a crossover of 80Hz and my ears liked the more sterile sound from the Entras. My ears heard the R50s as a little mushy bassy sounding, although I would leap to the RTi70s with an unlimited budget.

I visually checked the construction from top, bottom, back and sides which was a second check after listening (I like to knock with my knuckles on the sides and back of speakers).

Do you remember what music they played during the demo of R50 vs Entra Three? I already bought one CD that one specialty store uses, and I'm planning to buy more to play on my old system for comparison.
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    ???????????????

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    hedlund.jpg

That's pretty good. Easy to drive too. You might have a hard time finding a center speaker though!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    WTH??? Those look like "Gumby Meets the Cyclops"... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ya still got it Bruce, after all these years.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    actuley i realey like infinity too they were my first choice when they had their old line with the ling throw 6 1/2 drivers. then they went to their last line and lost intrest. so i went to polk. and love my setup. now they have a decent suround and i might have to listen to them.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

Yeah, those are a pretty ugly version. Imagine plain old birch with a deep red stain. I haven't seen cherry plywood at the local HD or Lowes. I might check out the lumber yards though.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Call me crazy, but are they trying to imitate Bose? ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Nice folded horn Gidrah. That's a killer Lowther FR in there too. I'd like to do some Voight Pipes, but will probably have to step 'down' to some Fostex FR's $-wise.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.