DFW mini gathering anyone?

Sami
Sami Posts: 4,634
Seems to be more and more DFW folks here. I know Russ was planning to organize something but I wouldn't mind hosting an event either. I could possibly get two rooms organized for setups for 2 channel, and one for home theater although I don't know how well that can be changed.

Maybe on a same day with UFC PPV events, either March 1 (which might be too soon), or April 19? Start in the morning with audio demos and finish the night off with some good matches, drink and food. BYOB of course.

Who's interested? Who would be bringing in equipments for demo? For sale items welcome as well. I'm located right next to the airport so it's pretty central location.
Post edited by Sami on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    In theory, I would be interested in attending. Really depends on what day / night it falls. During the day on weekends is good for me as are most weeknights.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    I'm game. The more time I know in advance, the better chance I can get off work.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2008
    I'm down...either date looks good right now. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I can hang out and laugh at you guys!
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    I call Polkmaniac's portion of the booze.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited February 2008
    I'm out of town most weekends in March.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    I'd say we'll pick the date so as many as possible can attend. If you want to PM me which weekends in March, April are ok I will try to figure out a day.

Just a casual hangout in mind, but we could arrange some fun program. Everyone could bring out a few relatively unknown songs that they feel haven't got the exposure they deserve. Blind testing of cables, IC's or is that too much hassle? Someone could show how to make room frequency measurements to those who haven't done them before, calibrating home theatre, etc...

If it's April, the weather is most likely going to be nice, if you think you can't get a leave from the Master Sergeant at home, the ladies could hang out by the pool and make fun of our hobby...at least they would be talking to someone who understands. Or we could make it simply boys night "out". It's all ok by me.
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited February 2008
    Im game sounds fun:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like great fun.

It would be nice to get together and meet some of the local guys. Weekends work best for me, but there is always a chance that I might be out of town due to work. So, pick the weekend that works best for everyone and I will do my best to attend.

If anyone wants to hear it, I can bring the Audiosmile Behringer SRC2496 DAC that was reviewed in Affordable Audio Jan 08.
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    I'll bring my modified Audio Research DAC1-20 (if I have it by then) as well and we can have a DAC-off.

I don't typically DAC-off often with others but will make an exception for this gathering.

Sami, I'll bring those Quake ICs as well so everyone else can listen to them. For what it's worth, they are my go-to ICs for the 2-channel rig.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2008
    i'm tentative on this. that's the heart of kids soccer season. Items I could bring, cs-350, cs-400i, rti6's, Sony SACD player (although I don't have any SACD's, LOL). That's a long way to haul the LS 90's, but I enjoy sharing them since so few people have heard them.
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited February 2008
    Just ordered a TVC from Prometheus Audio. I could bring that too.

I guess it would depend on when it arrives and if I have time to get a few hours of breakin time on it. BTW, I got the balanced one and having it upgraded to 2 XLR outputs.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    Cool. I think Brad (Early B.) had a Prometheus Audio TVC for a while. I might have a stepped attenuator to bring as well for comparisons sake. Both I believe are simply volume controls / passive preamps. Never heard one before but have connected some sources to amps directly for fun.
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited February 2008
    count me in! don't have many toys to share as i am new to this game but i will soak up the info like a sponge!

Abel
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    Those who are planning to come, if time permits, please PM me the days that would be ok for you, and those that you can't make. I will then decide the best possible date for this event. Those that are into HT, my new projector should be here this Friday. 1080p goodness, very highly regarded Epson 1080UB (UltraBlack, excellent blacks, something I've wanted since I decided to let go of my CRT projector).

Andy, I take it you like the IC's then? That's good to hear. Guys have been very busy with day job projects so no new cables in a long time. I'll talk to them to see if they can make any for this meet to demo.
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    Poll added for March 15. If results are negative, I will post another poll with alternative date.
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    Forgot to add, if you voted no but would like to come, please post here. This way I know who is trying to fit this in their schedule. Please don't vote if you're not planning to come regardless of the date.
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited February 2008
    I voted tentative but it's not that the date is wrong it's just that work is unpredictable now. I could be sent out of town on short notice. If I am here I want to go during the day at least.

Not sure what I could bring to the show that anyone wants to hear but would love to hear some good CD players as that is my next purchase.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    MADGSF wrote: »
    Not sure what I could bring to the show that anyone wants to hear but would love to hear some good CD players as that is my next purchase.

Bringing anything is not a requirement at all, those that wish to bring something can do so. Like mentioned, for sale items are welcome. AndyGwis has quite a few players for sale, including SACD.

If bringing something, PM me so I can arrange space for them. Also if the item is for sale, let me know what it is and asking price so I can post inventory before the meet happens.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    I should be down depending on what time it kicks.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    I should be down depending on what time it kicks.

Me, too. Should be there if it's an afternoon thing. GF's dad's 60th Birthday dinner / party may be that night.

Thanks for putting this together, Sami.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    I'll put in the request for the day off. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2008
    I'm tentative at this point. That's the first weekend of Spring Break. I may be on my way to ski country.
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    I was thinking we'll start around noon. You can show up earlier as well, especially if you plan to demo any gear. Ppplease, no before 9am :).

Continue as long as people want to hang out, it's Saturday after all...
  • SlowcarIX
    SlowcarIX Posts: 887
    edited February 2008
    i'll take the 2 dsw600 subs with me...

who has the svs ultra pc sub?
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612
  • Sami
    edited February 2008
    I do, it's my HT sub. I have SVS CSi in the bedroom (2ch) and DIY 15" Atlas on the living room (2ch). I never got going in the IB sub setup as I feel the PCU is good enough.
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited February 2008
    Unless something comes up I will be there.
    Abel
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited February 2008
    I'll be there. I don't think I'm on call that weekend.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    I would love to be there, but I will be on the way to Colorado for a little skiing. Andy gets my portion of the alcohol as well.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    Much obliged, Ed!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited February 2008
    I'm in Brownsville on the 15th.

Every weekend is booked for work until middle of April. Damn.
    Well, no one wants to hang with us old geezers, anyway.
    Have fun!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson