Well one search is over......

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,061
edited March 2003 in Electronics
B&K avr307.
Yep I bought it today.B&K is releasing the upgrade for it soon.......to avr507 status........cool.
I gave a review of this fine reciver(intergraded)awhile ago.It's the best all in one I feel at any price.Overall I believe it is.Some other have better features,more inputs,and I'm still torn on which sounds better B&K or Rotel..........so.
I have gauged everything I have demo'd up against the B&K.It held it's own against everything.The sheer power of it is simply awesome.Dynamic range is through the roof.
Today flagship receivers hit the 4 thousand mark and some over it.B&K is no different today with the brand new avr507 at 4 grand.
The avr307 retailed for 3498.99.
Seperates was the plan.It came to Rotel rsp1066,rmb1075 and the rb1070.Great sounding package.After listening to alot of others,B&K released the avr507, the Ref50 and new amps.This new line had a edge in sound quality over the last years models.After some research,I found that suttle changes where made.B&K has for years taken the model before and adding to it.This year is no different.Refined if you will.The preamp got Balanced this year,that was well needed.
After all my thinking on this,I'm building a room,furnishing it,alot of new gear,speakers,etc.....I felt that this was a logical choice.Performance it's close to the seperates,as close as your going to get with a all in one.And the money I saved can go towards the rest of the system.The upgrade as mentioned above is coming soon for the avr307.I can enjoy it now and upgrade it later and save a buck or 2........thats cool.
Sound quality vs my Rotel gear is really close.I'm happy with my choice and I'm back on the road to Home theater with 2 channel quality sound........now thats what I have been looking for......and I found it.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    here's a shot of it in my rack.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Lookin' good brocheese, what a BEAST.

-Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks Bro,
    here's another pic.
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It should be called BEAST & K
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Looking good Dan!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Very nice, Dan! I am jealous! lookin' great and I am sure it will serve you well....did you do a shootout with liv4fam gears now that you both almost have identical system?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    LOL,
    Yeah she is a big one and heavy 2.OK here's another pic(I'm not juiced up or anything):D
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,
    Liv4fam and I do listen to each others systems.We both have the B&K avr307,Monstercable HTS5000 and some Transparent and monstercalbes are the same,but thats it.He uses Def Tech speakers and I use Polk Lsi.He uses Sony DPNS900v dvd player/SACD and I use a Pioneer Elite Dv47a SACD/DVD AUDIO.
    Funny you say that,and funny how alot of the same is in our systems as we both have different tastes.The only other thing we share close is we both still use laser disc.He has Pioneer and I have Pioneer Elite.
    Liv4fam's system is awesome sounding.The B&K avr307 did wonders for his Def Tech's over the Yamaha rxv1 he owned.The Yamaha made his Inwalls sing.But then when he upgraded to Def Tech,the Yamaha had to go.
    Thanks for the comments bro,you don't have anything to be jealous about...hell you own the Rotel rsx1065......1 out of three receivers that could even come close in sound quality.Sunfires Ultimate receiver and Marantz sr14ex being the other(I believe thats the correct model number).Pioneer Elite vsx49tx I believe gets out done by the Rotel in sound quality alone.The Marantz and Pioneer Elite are very close......almost a pick em......super slight edge going to Marantz......but damn effin close.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Congrats Mantis.
    The B&K fits right into that "Elite" company (sorry 'bout that... :( )
    At least we have our B&K in common...

PS- I really dig that tan carpet.... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2003
    Options
    good going mantis, i took a listen to the b&k receiver at the ces,it was running in the james speaker exibit booth, to me, with the james speaker system it was the best sounding i heard at the ces.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Dan,

Excellent choice!! What is power rating per channel? Does it run hot with the LSi's? I'm putting together a system for my Mom and I'm shopping for a HT receiver. I suspect that this might be a bit of over kill for her. Although, she did tell me that "I want my theater to sound just like yours, but not as loud.".:lol:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by raife1
    she did tell me that "I want my theater to sound just like yours, but not as loud.".:lol:

Jeez.......just tell her that the big knob thing with the lil light on it shouldn't go past the 9 o'clock position and she'll be set....... ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If the limits arnt set than y waste?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tourma,
    like that carpet huh........well don't get used to it ,where moving in our new house soon So.....You own B&K 2 huh,I remember you talking about it..I think.....what do you own?

joe logston,
    The new avr507 is simply awesome sounding,so is there new seperates.The upgrade is coming soon......I'm upgrading the 307 as soon as they release the upgrade.

raife1,
    it's 185 watts into a 4 ohm load x 7 channels.Bad **** power.No it doesn't run hot running the lsi's.It is made to run 4 ohm load speakers allday.One of the reasons I picked it.
    Dan
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mantis,

Great high end stuff!........times must be going very well for you......I'm still scratching and saving for my 2ch system (speakers/amps) and the only thing I can post right now would be pictures from a magazine of my future audio toys. Your new B/K receiver will probably be worth much as my entire up coming to channel system.

dc.:D
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Speaker7,
    LOL.Well it takes time to build a system right.Alot of trial and ERROR.Well you'll get there one day...keep saving..it's worth it.
    Hell I got my Rotel preamp and amp I'm not going to use anytime soon.If your looking for something like that maybe I could make you a killer deal on the rig........if not I'm gonna hold on to it for awhile
    Dan
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i realey want to upgrade to the pre prow b&k referance 50 and the 700 something it is olny about 5k for that.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited February 2003
    Options
    B & K is an excellent choice. I love the sound of my Ref30, although I am using a Parasound 2205 for amplification. It does everything I want in a pre-amp to do. B & K does have a tendency to run warm. You might find that after a long listening session, your room may be a few degrees warmer than when you started.
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Flason,
    that is true it does run warm after some long listening.It doesn't get HOT just warm.My rack is completly open so I don't have any heat problems at all.
    B&K earned my respect 3 years ago.I also have been to factory training with B&K up in Buffalo NY.3 days of training when the avr307 and ref 30 came out.
    I saw the avr307 built from the ground up.B&K hand builds all there units.They are low volume.I couldn't believe how it starts out as a circuit board bare.They even attach all circuits on all of there boards.Assembly lines are in order,the boards get built first,they build the preamp,then the case and amp,then put it all together.I also was suprised that the Ref30 preamp goes directly in the avr307.It's exactly the same one.The avr307 is a true intergraded.
    When it was being built I watched the binding posts being installed by hand.I was so juiced up, I wanted to help.**** on the feet on the empty case,dropping in the power supply and locking down the caps(there effin huge bad **** boys).
    After it was finished,it goes to a test bench where a couple of differnet guys test them fully.They have a fun job.They got an entire setup of cd,DVD,speakers,etc for testing.If there is something that doesn't work correctly,it goes to the back of the line to be fixed.After it passes all testing,it gets hand boxed up.Man I was really impressed(didn't I say that already?)
    Another cool thing about B&K since it's integraded,you can re wire it to use the surround back channels for multiroom duty.You have to crack open the case and rewire.They use quick connectors and they are labeled.Cool.Japanese receiver do this in there setup menu's.
    I'm so happy with my choice.I should have done this instead of going threw all the other reciever and seperates I owned prior to this.But I learned alot owned all the other receivers and seperates,that was worth the investment then.....and even now.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yep it's doing well and love it more and more each and everyday I own it.God I love this stuff..................
    Dan
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Very nice Indeed !
    Enjoy it Dan. - Great looking system !

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.