PolkFest 08 ?

Comments

• Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited January 2008
    My appologies for hosing up the thread....
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    I think it's impossible not to hose up a thread these days :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited January 2008
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Your GTI would be a sweet car for blackhawk. All you need is a helmet. :rolleyes:

Yes I know and I believe you need a fire extinguisher. This wasn't an autocross this was a race with other cars and taking my daily driver up there just seemed like a bad idea. The Bilsteins, lowered suspension all summer tires would have been a good package until someone bumps you or you spin out into the wall and the air bags deploy and of course your insurance won't cover any damage. Wear and tear on the brakes, etc.

The autocross I could do because you are racing against the clock and there are no other drivers on the course. If you do get into it let me know as my mechanic is part of the group that runs many of the events up there. He'll know way ahead of time things coming up and be able to give you pointers on how to get things done, or if a particular event is worth spending money on, etc.

I figured to run in one race last year would have been just shy of $500 and I just didn't feel like that was a good fun/dollar ratio. A good helmet which is SCCA approved is about $200 the entry fee was about $150 and a couple tanks of 95 octane fuel at $6+ a gallon just was enough of an expense to turn me off.

I may autocross this year now that I have someone besides my mechanic whispering in my ear. My brother wanted to take his Miata up there too.

I am afraid (well I know) I'd become addicted to it :):)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »

Exactly why I ride a motorcycle I am not tempted to take to track day :(
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63145

Cool. Now I find myself checking here every 10 minutes to see if dates are posted. C'mon Mark, we don't need a whole lot of details just yet. DATES!!!!

It will be up soon, we thought we had everything nailed down - Al is in a meeting with Matt and I think Mark headed up to HQ to help get everything finalized.

It's going to be GREAT.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited January 2008
    Yes I know and I believe you need a fire extinguisher. This wasn't an autocross this was a race with other cars and taking my daily driver up there just seemed like a bad idea. The Bilsteins, lowered suspension all summer tires would have been a good package until someone bumps you or you spin out into the wall and the air bags deploy and of course your insurance won't cover any damage. Wear and tear on the brakes, etc.

The autocross I could do because you are racing against the clock and there are no other drivers on the course. If you do get into it let me know as my mechanic is part of the group that runs many of the events up there. He'll know way ahead of time things coming up and be able to give you pointers on how to get things done, or if a particular event is worth spending money on, etc.

I figured to run in one race last year would have been just shy of $500 and I just didn't feel like that was a good fun/dollar ratio. A good helmet which is SCCA approved is about $200 the entry fee was about $150 and a couple tanks of 95 octane fuel at $6+ a gallon just was enough of an expense to turn me off.

I may autocross this year now that I have someone besides my mechanic whispering in my ear. My brother wanted to take his Miata up there too.

You will absolutely become addicted to it. I've been to Blackhawk during one of the events when I had my Z28 and did one of the low speed autocross events at the rockford speedway in 2004. There are a lot of nice people (and some numb-nuts) in the MWSC club and the SCCR (sports car club of rockford)

You are absolutely right about the WTW racing. No way am I taking my street car into that. The autocross is a great opportunity to learn vehicle dynamics and car control and drive your car at 100mph+ legally.

I think the autocross entrance fee is $80ish. No need for racing fuel. 92 Octane will do just fine. Until you get good you don't have to worry about detroying tires and brakes too much either. Once you get the bug you'll buy a separate set of tires and rims for the track anyway and it'll be a piece of cake to change the brake pads when you have the tires off to put your street tires back on. :D

I'll send you the calender. You should come up one of the weekends that we go and enter that GTI.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Once you get the bug you'll buy a separate set of tires and rims for the track anyway and it'll be a piece of cake to change the brake pads when you have the tires off to put your street tires back on. :D

I'll send you the calender. You should come up one of the weekends that we go and enter that GTI.

Thanks for the update RuSs

Last off topic comment. I already have (2) set of rims/tires for the car why not have three :p. You might just talk me into doing some Autocross this summer.

Anyways Polkfest '08 is what I'm looking forward to at the moment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    edited January 2008
    Looks like the roadtrip to Polkfest '08 will be interesting!
    DKG999

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Looks like the roadtrip to Polkfest '08 will be interesting!

I'll be waiting for you guys in Ohio to join the fun.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited February 2008
    Do you think the folks upset and angry about the current state of the forum won't attend Polkfest?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Do you think the folks upset and angry about the current state of the forum won't attend Polkfest?

Sure they will. They will be the ones trying to push to the front of the line with their hands out for goodie bags and autographs. The entitled crew.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited February 2008
    I am stoked!:D

When in April is this going to be?

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008

Depends on whether or not they get kicked out of the fest for inappropriate comments and gestures :D, I kid.......I kid. I hope not, but leave the chip at the door if one is upset about the current state of the state.

If one is so disgusted about the state of the state then perhaps they shouldn't attend, kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008
    I also hope the current disorder doesn't in any way cause PF '08 to change strategy or lessen the participation of certain members or Polk HQ. It's a bunch of chest puffers blowing off steam, IMO. It will pass.

H9
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2008
    You know, CP has NEVER been a uptopian, kumbyeyah place. It's just bigger now than it ever was. More contributing, foaming at the mouth audio nuts which has it's good and bad points. On a percentage basis, Total Harmonic Distortion is probably about the same as it ever was. In absolute terms, it seems higher because of volume. As the volume goes up, it's more labor intensive.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    If schedule permits, I would love to come and meet some of you guys. WOuld be nice to put a face to a name and BS about audio amongst other things. When dates are finalized, please let me know.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2008
    Hell no. If the current state of the forum affects them coming to Polkfest, then some folks really need to man up and get with it.

Polkfest is nothing like the forum nor will it ever be. It's a gathering of good times, good friends, good tunes and a blast to be had by all. What more could a Polkie want?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2008
    Upset? Who's upset?????

Looking forward to the goodies............

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    If anything, Polkfest will help heal some of the problems!
    DKG999

• RuSsMaN
    edited February 2008
    Only if you do your Madden impression.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    I didn't know I had a Madden impression, but if required I'll work one up :)
    DKG999

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    looking foward to hearing the date so I can take the time off
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    I won't be there, I don't want to watch Mark do inappropriate things.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2008

He can't anymore since he's a Polk employee ;).
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    He can't anymore since he's a Polk employee ;).

That's what you think.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Oh, and the only autographs I want is Russ and the maintenance man at Polk HQ since he is the one who makes it all happen when we get there. :D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2008

But I bet when we post the video of it on you tube, you will watch it multiple times (in the privacy of your own home.......) ;)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    McLoki wrote: »
    But I bet when we post the video of it on you tube, you will watch it multiple times (in the privacy of your own home.......) ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2008
    Whoever is doing that drum roll must be pretty tired already.....

SOPA
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2008
    ****, he left and let the Energizer Bunny take over. He's not part of any union or anything so his **** split. I hope the batteries last until Monday or Thanksgiving. :D:p:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
This discussion has been closed.