Best LIVE album recorded albums you've heard.

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
edited May 2013 in Music & Movies
What is the best live recording you folks have run across in your listening years?

Not just for the music, but the recording as well...moreso toward the recording for this question. A recording that actually places you in the audience. Not just a recording to where the audience sounds great [or realistic] at the start of the concert, but along with the song as well. Acoustic, Big band, orchestra, Rock, doesn't matter.

For instance, when a silent passage comes in you can hear the audience as if you were there, not as if the recording engineer all of a sudden "turns up" the audience. A full fidelity album, lots of dynamics....well, just plain out a great recording.

Does something like this even exist?

The best I have come up with so far [in my limited, so to speak, collection] is Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder", Sarah McGlachlin's "Afterglow" [CD and DVD] and Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus". Whatcha' got? Talk to me........

EDIT: The suggestions as the thread continues.....

Chick Corea "Rendezvous in New York"

Al DiMeola
John McLaughlin
Paco DeLucia
?Friday Night in San Francisco?

Allman Brothers ?Live at Fillmore East?

?Allison Kraus and Union Station Live?

?Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live?

Seethers ?One Cold Night?

Branford Marsalis Quartet ?A Love Supreme Live?

Talking Heads ?Stop Making Sense?

Arnes Domnerus Group ?Jazz at the Pawnshop?

Antigone Rising, ?From the Ground Up?

?Belafonte at Carnegie Hall Live?

?The Dead's 5/8/77 show at Cornell?

Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder"

Sarah McGlachlin's "Afterglow" [CD and DVD]

Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus"

BB King "Live at the Regal"
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    Some of the Grateful Dead's live recordings have the ambiance you refer to. There's some good recordings in the Dick's Picks CD's. Add a little hemp scented incense, a listening chair made from the seats out of a VW microbus, and you're literally there :)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Funny response. Any GD album in particular that struck your fancy for what I'm lookin' for?

What's a Dick's Picks CD? You lost me there.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Chick Corea "Rendezvous in New York", Hybrid. Always in my top 10. I will actually hear the SACD track for the first time as soon as my player is here, but the redbook track is excellent.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2008
    Acoustic guitar's in a somewhat spanish style.

Al DiMeola
    John McLaughlin
    Paco DeLucia

Friday Night In San Francisco.

The 3 of them on stage as part of a dueling guitar session. Superb recording and a very special evening captured like it should be.

63105.jpg

Review by Daniel Gioffre

Loose and spontaneous, this (mainly) live album is a meeting of three of the greatest guitarists in the world for an acoustic summit the likes of which the guitar-playing community rarely sees. Broken up into three duo and two trio performances, Friday Night in San Francisco catches all three players at the peaks of their quite formidable powers. The first track features Al di Meola and Paco de Luc
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2008
    How could I forget this one.....I took it to Chicagofest and I know a couple polkies took notes....

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2008
    Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East SACD. Good stuff.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    I'll be damned Heiney9, I've actually got that on SACD and I haven't even listened to it yet. Thanks!

EDIT I'm into song three right now and I must admit, this is a nice recording. I have goose bumps coming from nowhere from time to time on this one. Absolutely fantastic! THIS is what was looking for, just a recording of the whole entire concert with the audience not omitted during the songs. The illusion and sound staging are put together well. I like it! Good tunes to boot! :D

EDIT #2 Damn good album and recording! Just finished it and I'm impressed. Ears are ringing a little bit, but it was worth it. I would recommend this album to those who are looking for what my first post inquired about. My only gripe would be that they killed the soundtrack in-between songs. IMO, they should have let the concert go without splices. I know....****, ****, **** but that's my only gripe. Incredible concert with a lot of talent on stage. Thanks again Heiney9!
  • Ricardo
    edited January 2008
    Allison Kraus and UUnion Station Live is also a pretty good recording.

Jazz at the Pawnshop is excellent in LP; I would think the CD's are good also.

SOPA
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2008
    Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live is a very good recording. The DVD is good as well.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited January 2008
    My personal Favorite is Seethers One Cold Night. Don't know how well it is mastered, but I personally think it sounds great.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2008
    Another good one is Branford Marsalis Quartet...A Love Supreme Live.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Talking Heads; Stop Making Sense

Arnes Domnerus Group; Jazz at the Pawnshop

Allison Kraus & Union Station; Live
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited January 2008
    The Dead's famous 5/8/77 show at Cornell sounds great; I don't know if it's a "Dick's Picks", though. You can taste it at: http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

The live album by Antigone Rising, From the Ground Up is a good sounding live recording.

Best R&R live, IMNSHO (and NSH it is!) is Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. Some or many of the vocals may be overdubbed, but it is excellent in every way. The new(er) 2-CD Rhino expanded reissue is fine sounding.

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall is another superior live recording, best on original RCA vinyl.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The Dead's famous 5/8/77 show at Cornell sounds great; I don't know if it's a "Dick's Picks", though. You can taste it at: http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

The live album by Antigone Rising, From the Ground Up is a good sounding live recording.

Best R&R live, IMNSHO (and NSH it is!) is Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. Some or many of the vocals may be overdubbed, but it is excellent in every way. The new(er) 2-CD Rhino expanded reissue is fine sounding.

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall is another superior live recording, best on original RCA vinyl.

mhardy- Thanks for the link to archive.org, you've done it again. I hadn't checked that site out since they wiped out all the shows that fans had uploaded. Good to see they have upped their Dead content.

The Belafonte is a great recording, the material I can't stand. To me it seems as if there's no emotion in his performance; hell, even the between song banter is scripted! (He repeats what he said after the previous song at one point, and stumbles along for what seems like forever.)

I'll add:

BB King-Live at the Regal

John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat-Hooker and Heat, which isn't a live recording in the sense it's in front of an audience, but it is live in the studio and phenomenal.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Altmanfan
    Altmanfan Posts: 33
    edited January 2008
    Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Talking Heads; Stop Making Sense

Arnes Domnerus Group; Jazz at the Pawnshop

Allison Kraus & Union Station; Live

+1 for all three.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East.

Agreed. +1
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Altmanfan wrote: »
    Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles

I have this one and it's pretty good. Also for you HDCD fans this is an HDCD cd.

Sometimes Joni's voice gets on my nerves otherwise it's a very nice recording.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2008
    DVD's:

Pink Floyd "Pulse"
    Roger Waters "The Wall-Live in Berlin"
    Diana Krall "Live in Paris"
    Eagles"Hell Freezes Over"

I really love watching concerts on DVD.Also, I have Shania in Chicago on DVD. Not so much for the excellent recording but I get to see Shania for awhile. Hubba,Hubba!!!
  • edossin4
    edossin4 Posts: 105
    edited January 2008
    Led Zeppelin 'How the West Was Won'. The remix is fantastic, and this really captures one of the best rock bands ever at the top of their game. This makes 'Song Remains the Same' sound like a cover band.

Allman Brothers 'Live at Fillmore East' Alot has been said already but this is one of the best live performances ever recorded.

The Who 'Live at Leeds' Can't believe no one mentioned this one yet. Another great performance by a classic band at the top of their game.

Jimi Hendrix 'Band of Gypsies' Also recorded at the Fillmore East. This one would make the list for 'Machine Gun' alone.

Frank Zappa 'You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore' Vol 1-6 This body of work is so massive. Frank is often overlooked. He is one of the best guitarist/composers ever.
    Onkyo Tx sr805
    Oppo Dv-981hd
    Onkyo Dv cp704
    Adcom Gfa 555
    Adcom Gfa 545
    Polk Audio rti 12
    Polk Audio cs400i
    Polk Audio fx300i
    Panasonic 54" rear projection
    Direct HDTV DVR

PS3
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    edossin4 wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin 'How the West Was Won'. The remix is fantastic, and this really captures one of the best rock bands ever at the top of their game. This makes 'Song Remains the Same' sound like a cover band.

Allman Brothers 'Live at Fillmore East' Alot has been said already but this is one of the best live performances ever recorded.

The Who 'Live at Leeds' Can't believe no one mentioned this one yet. Another great performance by a classic band at the top of their game.

Jimi Hendrix 'Band of Gypsies' Also recorded at the Fillmore East. This one would make the list for 'Machine Gun' alone.

Frank Zappa 'You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore' Vol 1-6 This body of work is so massive. Frank is often overlooked. He is one of the best guitarist/composers ever.

All good choices--How The West Was One is great for what it is and where it came from. It was never intended to be a live release therefore when it was recorded it was done haphazardly and the tapes were not stored properly, etc, etc. It IS fantastic what they were able to do to restore the tapes and put out a great live document, but on a really nice stereo it's just not that great of a recording compared to others of that time period that were intended for release eventually. Overall the energy and playing is leaps and bounds above TSRTS. I have 3 bootlegs of this show and even with the marginal recording (although there always was a great sounding audience recording called "Burn That Candle") it was always an exciting show to listen to. I was glad they combined it with the Long Beach show and put it out officially.

Who-Live at Leeds is a great example of what a recording could sound like back then if proper attention is paid. That was recorded with the intention of releasing it right way.

Hendrix-BOG is also great especially the 2cd set re-released by Experience Hendrix It's songs pulled from all 4 sets and it does have some stinkers in there (audio quality), but as a live document it's great.

H9
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Thank you ladies and gentlemen for your input. I'm off to go see if I can pick up some of the selections. Please keep 'em coming if you have more that fit the bill of what I am looking for and again....Thank you.

You folks ROCK!!! ;):D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Eagles Hell Freezes Over is probably the best i have heard, and they sounded the same way live, man was that an expensive ticket......
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2008
    I am a big Who fan, and I'll acknowledge that every time they re-release Live at Leeds with more content, it gets better and better, but it's just never been one of my favorite live albums. I think my problem with it is mostly the very rough sonic ambience. I am not that crazy about the 2nd side of the original album, either, although I do like the Naked Eye section of the sprawling My Generation. Don't care that much for the rest of its 14-plus minutes, though.

Now, Philistine that I am, my favorit live recorded 'OO is, I think, the very last performance with Moonie, from The Kids are Alright. Not the last word in quality, but a great Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again. End of an era stuff. Great on video, too.
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited January 2008
    One of my favorite recent cd's is a release of an early 1970's Neal Young concert. Great music and very good recording.

Neal Young- Live at Massey Hall
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am a big Who fan, and I'll acknowledge that every time they re-release Live at Leeds with more content, it gets better and better, but it's just never been one of my favorite live albums.
    Well, the only version of The Who "Live at Leeds" they had was the standard redbook but I was lucky enough to stumble into a hybrid SACD of The Who "Tommy" [I know, not live, but I'm pumped...I dig SACD, what can I say?], I'm listening to that now and it sounds pretty good for my first impression of it. What would you say is the best version of "Live at Leeds" that you've heard?

Ended up getting a Deluxe Edition [whatever that means] of "The Allman brothers at Fillmore East". It's a two disc CD set and daggum, it's got one song that's 33.39 minutes long! :eek: I hope it's a jam session as I miss singers shutting the F up and just letting the band jam away.

Also picked up an SACD [not hybrid] of Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Time*Sex*Love". Never heard her before, but I keep hearing her name so who knows? I might like it. Found out I'm gonna have to get the Arnes Domnerus Group's "Jazz at the Pawnshop" on the internet. What's the best version you guys have run across on this? I have heard it mentioned countless times and everything I hear is positive so far. Mo-Fi? SACD?
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    If you like jam bands and great musicians another great set is

Government Mule- Deepest End a 2cd - 1dvd set very reasonably priced - over 6 hours of music.

Allen Woody the original bassist died and they have several guests play bass on this wonderfully put together set. Including, Roger Glover, Jack Casady, Les Claypool, Jason Newsed, Rob Wasserman, plus others fill in on bass. Other guests include, Bela Fleck, Dirty Dozen Brass Band Horns, Sonny Landreth, Bernie Worrell.

A great set with a great laid back groove. Highly recommended.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1276546

H9
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2008
    I remember hearing a nice, heavy vinyl pressing of the original Live at Leeds at "The Analog Room" in San Jose CA (right at the edge of Cupertino, at least then) a few years back that was pretty good. I think it was a newish pressing (at least then), and it was on about $100k worth of gear.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    edossin4 wrote: »
    This is the redbook CD I picked up today and my observations.....

Great tunes but not dynamic, the audience doesn't seem real and it seems as if there is a blanket covering the speakers. The separation of instruments is limited and resolution is non-existent. The stereo separation and time delay on song #14 "Magic Bus" is interesting but not what I would consider stellar. Sounds like an older recording.

Perhaps another recording/mastering?
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This is the redbook CD I picked up today and my observations.....

Great tunes but not dynamic, the audience doesn't seem real and it seems as if there is a blanket covering the speakers. The separation of instruments is limited and resolution is non-existent. The stereo separation and time delay on song #14 "Magic Bus" is interesting but not what I would consider stellar. Sounds like an older recording.

Perhaps another recording/mastering?

Wow, not what I get at all. This recording is cited by many audio reviewers as a good demo disc. I like the rawness of the recording and environment. Mhardy made a good comment earlier rough sonic ambience. That's what I like about this disc, everything today is so over processed and slick and shiny. This has a raw energy and Moonie's drums sound great. Listen to the drums they just about bowl you over with their intensity.

H9