bass management

racer4551
racer4551 Posts: 373
edited March 2003 in Forum Testing Area
help, please bear with me as i am new to this forum stuff also to home theater equipment. i know dont run to far! my question is how is the best way to set up my system for best bass response. my equipment consists of a denon 2802 receiver,adcom 7400 5 channel amp(100 watts per channel),mtx monitor 12 mains,csi30 polk center,advent rears,radio shack 12 inch 200 watt sub. i also use a10 band eq with this setup because with out it there is not alot of bass response. should i set crossover freq. on receiver to 80,100,120? should sub freq. be set all the way up? what about phase switch on sub normal or reverse? also should single sub preout from receiver to sub be connected to both sub channel inputs right and left with y adapter?
*HT PRE-PRO*:Rotel rsp-1068, *AMP*:Rotel RMB 1095 *DVD PLAYER*:Denon 2200,*CD PLAYERS*,Arcam Alpha Mcd 6 disk carasel,Hughes Hdtv receiver, Hughes hdvr2,*MAINS*:Polk LSI 15'S, *CENTER*:Polk LSIC, *SIDE SURROUNDS*:Polk LSIFX,*REAR SURROUND*:Polk LSI 7'S,*SUB*:SVS PB2+*.MONITOR*:Mitsubishi ws48413 hdtv,Monsterpower hts2500X2,,Sony playstation2,Harmony sst-659 remote
Post edited by racer4551 on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Whoa there, one at a time. (Actually, this is probably a question for Sub Hookup/Bass Management, but don't fret). Normally, the mains should be set to "small" and subwoofer to "on" or "yes" but here you have mains that can (supposedly, I've never tested it out) go deeper than your sub. If you have enough wire, try putting the ends of 2 lengths of speaker wire in the front left and right outputs on your amp. Run one set of wires to the mains and one to the sub. If you must have mad bass, set the crossover on the sub as high as it will go and adjust the volume to your tastes. Then set the mains as "large" at the receiver. Regaurding the phase switch, switch back and forth between the two settings and see which one has more volume and punch. The center and mains should be set to small. I've never tested the CSi30, but I think it will survive if the crossover for the center is set at 80hz. If you notice any distortion at high volumes then try 100hz or higher. As for the advents, I don't know. It would help if we know what model they are, but I would guess that 100hz would be OK. Reguarding the EQ, first of all, set it to flat. Play a wide variety music and movies and adjust the volume on the sub amp until it sounds right with most material. If you come across something with way too much treble or rediculous amounts of bass then you can use the eq to make fine adjustments. The wiring scheme I mentioned earlier doesn't use the LFE jack, but in answering your question, a single cable will work fine. It will sound quieter at first, but all you have to do is turn up the volume and it will sound exactly the same as two cables.

Don't forget to wire in phase - run the red terminal of the amp to the red terminal on the speaker and the black terminal on the amp to the black terminal on the speaker. Do this for all speakers. If you can't get bass out of your monstrosity of a main speaker I think that might be your problem.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    How does that RCA sub sound? I been interested in it (and for you morons that are going to flame me, I mean to put in the garage when I move the KLH's out there!) :p
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    In addition to Rs159's comments I'd like to say if you don't have a settup disk, like Avia, I would suggest you purchase it along with an analog SPL meter from the shack.

Welcome to the Forum!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Well MX, I wasn't go to say anything like "Wow, anything from Radio Shack is a steaming pile of monkey crap and should be condemed to hell!", but I guess you have a way of provoking people. If I remember correctly, you encouraged us to fight in faster's thread so we could get into the hall of shame. Hmm... I think you'd like to be there. ;)
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    please, just call me RS. Forget that "159" thing. It gets old.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Haha, Well Actually, If you'd read the off topic HOS post you will understand...lol! But I am serious, I want to know how the thing sounds. I want to purchase it and the 200 a pair RCA speakers, to use with my KLH speakers in a garage rig to put on a cocnert for the neighbors. Do you mind? wait wait, for 200 or so dollars, I could forget that effin sub and just buy thos MTX big arse speakers!!!! LOL!!!! EL YEAH!!! CONCERT

You know, people complain about me posting too much. and I may do so, but atleast I go back and edit my posts most of the time if someone comments after I send something. i forget sometimes, but I try to do it. As I can see most people forget the edit button exist.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited March 2003
    I thought this was the testing area.Everyone practicing how to answer a thead???

Ok basically you want to hook the skyhook modulator to the flex capasitor and set the dial on 88.Then after the lighting happens watchout for that tree.
    This should hold true for most cases.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    Ok basically you want to hook the skyhook modulator to the flex capasitor and set the dial on 88.Then after the lighting happens watchout for that tree.

I guess that's what it sounds like to most people :lol: We should try to remember that when talking to newbies.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    I thought this was the testing area.Everyone practicing how to answer a thead???

Flux Capacitor
    Velocity is 88 MPH

I hope this helps. ;)

HBomb:lol:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by rs159

I guess that's what it sounds like to most people :lol: We should try to remember that when talking to newbies.

You know, I think your on to something here.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    It perplexes me why newbies get advice and don't come back to tell us how it worked?
  • racer4551
    edited March 2003
    sorry, have had alot of new information to process, being new to this game. i think what it boils down to in plain english these subs are worth exactly what i paid for them not much. have someone trying to sell me a paradigm pw2200 sub for a good price any thoughts?
    *HT PRE-PRO*:Rotel rsp-1068, *AMP*:Rotel RMB 1095 *DVD PLAYER*:Denon 2200,*CD PLAYERS*,Arcam Alpha Mcd 6 disk carasel,Hughes Hdtv receiver, Hughes hdvr2,*MAINS*:Polk LSI 15'S, *CENTER*:Polk LSIC, *SIDE SURROUNDS*:Polk LSIFX,*REAR SURROUND*:Polk LSI 7'S,*SUB*:SVS PB2+*.MONITOR*:Mitsubishi ws48413 hdtv,Monsterpower hts2500X2,,Sony playstation2,Harmony sst-659 remote
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    It's ok. One thing you'll learn quickly is that the forum works in real time and things go by very quickly.
  • racer4551
    edited March 2003
    thanks rs for the info . i have alot people feeding me info on all this stuff just have to sort through it all. concerning reply on setup, have set receiver mains to large, crossover to 80 at receiver, all other speaks to small, set receiver to lfe + mains sounded alot better. also have added 2nd sub wired from r&l amp output to high input on sub to try and get alittle more low end (did i say i like bass) still not what i am looking for.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Club polk is EVIL! its effin addictive man! EFF YOU ALL! *MX ITS TIME FOR YOUR MEDICINE* sorry gotta run, runs out the door.......HAHHAHHAA ya'll never catch me
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • racer4551
    edited March 2003
    hear that loud and clear ! i thought drag racing was expensive
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by racer4551
    hear that loud and clear ! i thought drag racing was expensive

lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC