Sub placement question

Options
gacole2000
gacole2000 Posts: 255
I am meeting with some spousal resisitance concerning a bigger sub. My question is this: would it be possible to put a sub under a table with a cloth over it. Basically, it would be totally hidden. Would this hurt its performance?

Thanks, as always, I apprecate your responses.

Greg
AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
BR: Samsung 1600
Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
Center: CS300
Sides: FX1000
Rears: RT/FX
Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
Power: Panamax MAX 5100
Remote: Harmony One
Post edited by gacole2000 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Options
    no. since bass is non-directional it should not matter.. it may shake things off the table though. :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I thought of this once upon a time, however I changed my mind on the following scenarios. Can you hide the wires so you are not tripping over it? Would it be in danger of a shoe accidentally kicking the cone? Will things on top the table shake off (don’t want to spill my bourbon!). As far as the performance, if the table cloth is not over the port or cone it should work fine, I think. Hell, it would probably still perform good, just the table cloth would ‘dance’ when the bass hits but that might be a good thing! Just my two cents.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    True bass, below 80 Hz, will not be denied by a tablecloth, or much of anything else (but don't tell your wife).
    Where the table is will make a difference, i.e., center of floor vs. by a wall vs. in a corner. Hopefully you can negotiate a little leeway in the placement "of the table" (after all you are "muffling" the sub with that cloth ;) )
    The above cautions are valid.

Whatcha got for your rig, and what subs are you considering?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 23
    edited February 2003
    Options
    dude,

Put the sub behind your tv. If your concerned with size, then get that little Polk 8" sub thats "on crack". psw550 i think...

then your game...
    Danny V
    57" toshiba cinema series
    H/K 525
    "pos" Panasonic DVD progressive scan
    Front: Polk Rti1000p
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rear: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10