Amps & power

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Thats what I'm talking about.Liv4fam hit it right on the nose.If you listen,you will hear it.If you have no idea what your listening to,sure it doesn't matter.

Matter of fact that most higher end amps WILL have better dynamic range,This is one of the reasons that The BIGGER amp is desired.More power more dynamic range.

Mixing and matching amps is fine.You do to your system what you wanna do.I offer only my experiences and and if thats not good enough for you then don't listen to it ok???Hard effin hard is that.
    Pro or not.......that doesn't even matter to anyone anyways so lets leave that at the forum door.Real world experience is what I respect.Alot of you stated you do this ,so if you like it that way,I will go on record thats states I respect that.

But if you truely want higher fidelity in your home theater.................................balance is key.....everywhere.
    Why do you use the same type timber matched speakers????????????????????????????????????????????
    equal power also has advantages.It's correct.
    So here's another question for just you Troy..........Name one dolby digital and dts reciever that uses unequal power?
    And the answer is..............NONE!!!!!!
    why is that?????
    Why isn't dobly labs important?
    Why is DTS labs not important?
    These companies are the ones who state that using same speakers and same amps all the way around.
    Polk makes matching mains/center/and surround sound speakers,using them has advantages.
    Amp companies like B&K make 5 and 7 channel amps.This yields advantages.
    The comment about if one channel goes out,you have to send in the whole amp for repair.........yeah so what!!!!!!!!
    Using seperate amps on all channels is also a good way to go IF they are all EQUAL POWER.My opnion,industry standard!!!!

More to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    So cute Dan ran and got his little buddy, all we were doing was discussing equal power in ht, he stated his opinion, some (most)disagreed. Dan gets bent out of shape, tells his troll buddy to log in and back him up. HIGH FIVE!!!

Sad, but funny at the same time. Dan, you have some points, sure, but once again the delivery kills. I LIKE my un-equal system, it does EVERYTHING I want it to. Does that mean everyone else's rig should be based around my setup? No.

It's just audio guys, no cause for a young man to develop high blood pressure. I'm out on this one, but remember, its ok to *agree not to agree*.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003

Let's see, equal power in each channel in a receiver. Hmmmm, tough one but my guess that in marketing-speak 100x5 sounds and looks better than 100x3 and 75x2 or what have you.

As far as what the 'industry standard' is, why? Do all channels use the same amount of power at the same time? No they don't. Are all speakers of EXACTLY equal efficiency? No they aren't. It's oversimplification. I think (and I think Dan and liv4fam once touted) that the amp ratings are not all that exact anyway. Moreover, why isn't there an industry standard of what wattage a receiver or amp HAS to be? 100wpc? 120wpc? Well, that's another discussion. Fact is, in MOST (not all but most)of our cases, none of us are ever exceeding more than 50 wpc continuous anyway.

So what about my question about sub amps? How come we can get away with amps that are clearly mismatched with the rest of a system on the sub?

Look, would I agree that equal amps all the way around are a good, even ideal thing? Sure. The orginal point, and I agree is that what we are doing can and does work to a very satisfactory degree. We aren't ALL deaf, incompetent idiots. Just me probably.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited February 2003
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Ben and Jerries all the way ANY DAY!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    I think had we all had the unlimited cash flow that some might seem to have, we would all have the best gear, Money does a funny thing to people, when you have it, all the sudden the less important things seem overly important. when you don't have it only the important things matter, and you learn to make due with what you have.

Maybe if some people are "higher up" then others they should find people who mesh with themselfs.. I like this place so much because i know i am equal with "most" of the others.. I don't have to feel embarrased to say i can't afford it, or i have to save.

People that have limitless money totally lose that notion, and only the best is good enough and think its totally absurb to think any lesser on a subject or item. or that someone would want less then their high standards,

I have known people in the past and caught myself profileing them as lower then me or what i have, and thats wrong..
    we have all said, eh why would they buy that crappy boxed theater set, or walmart item instead of Circuit city or Joe smoes High FI shop...
    It's all a matter of what you can afford and make due with, this reply here is not directed at anyone, it's a generalization of how people act, when they are wealthy, middle incomed or poor..

Stop telling everyone, we already know, More $$$$$ items are most always better, but not always optimal
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    I may lose credability of my prior post because of what i am going to say here, BUt some people on this board are very arrogant and it makes me sick!!!!! sure this is the polk forum, Not the million dollar speaker forum, so it makes sense that we all don't have money coming out our ****'s.. Stop profiling peoples idea's because they can make "unstandard" things seem and work standard to them,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    faster, certainly no credibility lost there. You make VERY cogent points.

Me personally, sure, I'd like better gear but here is the thing, I don't go in debt for audio. If I can't pay cash for it, I won't own it (that goes for pretty much everything). So I look for used gear on the cheap. As I've said, new car smell does nothing for me. If it's your gear and you enjoy it, that's all that is important. It isn't important what any of us think, what the salesman thinks or what Dolby or DTS thinks, it's what YOU think.

Even for the guy that buys a HTiB from WalMart, ****, if he enjoys it, who am I to degrade him. If asked, I'll give my opinion and try to be helpful but in the end it's just audio gear. Big deal. My life doesn't revolve around it nor is it a self esteem thing.

Eh, I'm off the soapbox now.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    Ben and Jerries all the way ANY DAY!
    Chunky Monkey, the best! Not equal by any means though, more walnuts up front than chunks of dark chocolate. Clipping those frozen chunks of chocolate can hurt so be carful.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited February 2003
    Well you are right about one thing if you or someone else likes it...............................DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Plain and simple I agree to that............ who cares what anybody else thinks about your system but saying that unequal power amps and mismatched speakers to a newbie Home Theaterist is just plain crazy because you are misleading individuals that do not know any better.

Troy........are you offended by people that own nice stuff and take pride in their theaters and are you saying that every guidline that was used to make home theater what it is today is crap because you don't agree with it?

No matter what you are always against it....THX,DD,DTS,Same amps,bi-wiring,good interconnects,speaker wire,

Why mislead people that don't know any better?

Why not say IMO you should use equal power and the same speaker all the way around and you need certain powere requirements per room size and you will need to deal with room resonances and sound proofing to be ideal?

You say all that is a waste and you don't need to do any of that and it doesn't matter.
    Interesting for someone who puts no stock in Home Theater.:lol:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Well well well.......Liv surfaces again......joy.

Liv.....apparently you are still under the impression that your experiences somehow put you on a throne that we're all supposed to learn from and obey. I can tell ya that in the few months that I haven't had to read an ignorant post of yours, I haven't missed ya.

You and Dan still believe that since you're "Pros" that we are to all take note of what you indicate. It wasn't happening back a few months ago, and I doubt that it's going to happen now.

Since you offered this......
    I would expect more out of you than this but ooooooopppssss i forgot I am in the Polk forum.

I'll offer this......
    **** OFF!!

We're gonna be crashin and burning with this, but it's time for you and Dan to accept that people have other ways of doing things, and that it's ok. It's not something that you have to berate to death because you take it as a personal attack against the industry. Jesus.....if they like their systems and it's a mismatched system, so be it. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Troy shouldn't tell people this:
    Why not say IMO you should use equal power and the same speaker all the way around and you need certain powere requirements per room size and you will need to deal with room resonances and sound proofing to be ideal?
    because he doesn't feel that's accurate. He, and everyone else, can tell a newbie what works for them and to let that person do their own decision making. We're not drones that are here to do what you tell us to, so quit acting like that.

Can't say that I'm glad you came out of your hole, but I'll go ahead and permit you to crawl back inside and disappear again........buh-bye
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • liv4fam
    edited February 2003
    I'll offer this......

Man look at Brett coming out hard. Well looks like we are going to the Hall of Shame.

You can tell people whatever you want to about how to do a system but youare wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong and you have no idea as to what you are talking about.

So go ahead give people bad advice it's what you are good at. Enjoy your system. LOVE IT, NURTURE IT, BE ONE WITH IT, RESPECT IT!!!!!!!

I want to start a thread about....Why do you need six speakers?

Because the "industry" says so? Why? screw that I will do what I want and it will be just as good.:lol:

Man get over yourselves!!!!!!!
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Russ,
    So cute Dan ran and got his little buddy, all we were doing was discussing equal power in ht, he stated his opinion, some (most)disagreed. Dan gets bent out of shape, tells his troll buddy to log in and back him up. HIGH FIVE!!!
    Hello.....I work with the guy,we talk about things and I brought up the forum and the unequal power thing,and he felt the need to reply.He does what he wantsto do and I don't control him in anyway ****.
    Sad, but funny at the same time. Dan, you have some points, sure, but once again the delivery kills. I LIKE my un-equal system, it does EVERYTHING I want it to. Does that mean everyone else's rig should be based around my setup? No.
    Delivery my ****,I stated my opnion, and what the industry standard is.You do whatever the hell you want to do with your system,I could care less.

TroyD,
    Let's see, equal power in each channel in a receiver. Hmmmm, tough one but my guess that in marketing-speak 100x5 sounds and looks better than 100x3 and 75x2 or what have you.
    It's always about marketing trying to eff everyonje....whatever dude, you have no idea at all.
    As far as what the 'industry standard' is, why? Do all channels use the same amount of power at the same time? No they don't. Are all speakers of EXACTLY equal efficiency? No they aren't. It's oversimplification. I think (and I think Dan and liv4fam once touted) that the amp ratings are not all that exact anyway. Moreover, why isn't there an industry standard of what wattage a receiver or amp HAS to be? 100wpc? 120wpc? Well, that's another discussion. Fact is, in MOST (not all but most)of our cases, none of us are ever exceeding more than 50 wpc continuous anyway.
    Again you have no idea.Do you have any idea how dolby digital works?What about DTS?........think THE MATRIX my man.It's a starting point.Your a fool.Amp power????Hello THX select and THX ULTRA........O I forgot,thats not a helpfull tool to use,it's more marketing hype......fill the rich pockets.Believe it or not,cubic feet of a room need a certain amount of power with the ratio of the effiency of the given speaker system.And Speakers????Again HELLO,check the spec's of the LSI system......looks like 88db and 4 ohm load all the way around.........seems matched to me.My god dude.
    So what about my question about sub amps? How come we can get away with amps that are clearly mismatched with the rest of a system on the sub?
    Beleive it or not,sub power is really important.Performance is just as important as any other channel.Matching remember????Room size also plays a big big role in the correct sub.Under powered is just a bad as over powered in a given room.Dude you should do some homework on home theater,your alittle out of the loop.
    Look, would I agree that equal amps all the way around are a good, even ideal thing? Sure. The orginal point, and I agree is that what we are doing can and does work to a very satisfactory degree. We aren't ALL deaf, incompetent idiots. Just me probably.
    Now you wanna make a statement like that after all this maddness?????My god dude,you could have said that before you went on your rant.Tha was my point the entire time that equal is IDEAL.....sure you can mix and match anything you want,if it makes you happy,thats what really matters.Experience is what WE are all after.Some have higher standards as to what degree that is.Mine is high because I love it, and I want the best possible sound I can afford.It doesn't matter what level that is compared to any other member.Dude(incompetent idiots),don't put words in my mouth,I don't feel that way.I really think alot of you are mislead.It's a shame because a well balanced system performs so much better then a mixed matched unbalanced one.It helps heighten the level of experience.Placement,wire,equal power,etc all help make the experience the best it can be........at ALL levels.On the cheap or not.

ATCVENOM,
    All about matching. Plain and simple. The "higher-end" you go, the more critical matching becomes....I believe thats been well established
    Your DEAD wrong here my boy.ALL LEVELS THIS IS CRIDICAL.I don't care if you spend 2 grand or 300 grand.You also have much to learn.
    Now to dip into dangerous waters. Just an observation/opinion here... I cannot help but to find humor in how "bent outta shape" some people become over such trivial things. Equal power "good" or "Bad" causing such a stur.... what next? Dairy Queen versus Ben and Jerries?
    Some have stronger opnions about there hobby.Your opnion, my opnion,it's all good.
    Perhaps the most ironic thing of this all is that maybe one or two individuals (common posters) have anything close to "high-end". The rest - not even close. I bring this up not to bash anyones gear - yet to simply make note of certain individuals who use such high-end gear as examples in their arguements - gear they could never afford. I find a sense of irony in that.
    So whats your point with this man?You have NO IDEA what anyone can or will own in the future.Stop beating around the bush,if your going to talk about someone or 2,be upfront.
    As for me... Equal power, un-equal power....whatever. As long as it sounds alright and is sufficient. I could care less. Although I personally like things balanced just for security alone. I enjoy having headroom - but sometimes if you can go a cheaper route and enjoy the same clarity - why the hell not?
    Dude3 I don't know why you do what you do.......I'm losing some respect for you.You post half of what you feel,I know because I talk to you alot on IM.You have a love for this hobby almost as strong as I do.You know I speak from the heart and from experience.Again it's ok for anyone to build there system how they see fit.If you ask for MY opnion,I will give it 2 you unsugarcoated.

faster100,
    I think had we all had the unlimited cash flow that some might seem to have, we would all have the best gear, Money does a funny thing to people, when you have it, all the sudden the less important things seem overly important. when you don't have it only the important things matter, and you learn to make due with what you have.
    Who's the rich in here???Sure isn't me.I read what you wrote and respect your opnion bro but dude.........I gotta retort.Everyones system is nice.Whatever you can afford is fine man.But trying to match at there respected level is golden to get max performance out of that given system.All levels of gear benefit form matching.Placement and everything else.ETC.......
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    Make a point already Liv4rant. I LOVE the selective reading here, only what you WANT to hear, **** the truth.

Drop some more terms and names on us, impress us. Bench tested anything lately?

****' worthless, talk about a HUGE bag of nothing. Have you made an *actual* point here since Dan dug you up from the bowels of the earth? I can't find one.

Liv, I wouldn't piss in your pocket if your balls were on fire. Stick that in said pipe and fire it up. Just wait till I get Jstas on MY side and he knocks yer' **** teeth out.

You sir, are a MORON. Can I make it any more clear?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited February 2003
    DAMN i think the flood gates have been kicked open!!

scott:cool:
  • liv4fam
    edited February 2003
    Man russ I see you have gotten a little more educated since I was i here last.
    It's nice to see that you graduated from blah, blah, blah ,blah and cocoa puffs.
    As far as pointless **** goes I follow behind the best namely you.

So what's up meatlog did you miss me that bad that you are all fired up already. Go spank it or something.

We are just getting started.!!!!!!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Some of you guys need to swallow a rug, its just peoples rigs. If they want or have to have unequal power - considering you dont buy their equipment, and arnt in their mind you should have no problems accepting what they own and why. If you want to change this, buy them what they need and dont think twice about it and shut up. Personally WHO CARES? Mantis u say u dont care...but yet u bring liv4fam up in here to carry on your BS. No one wants to hear it really. People own unequal amps because they personally think their other speakers dont need it probally, one speaker is higher in wattage than the other - and the need for the same amp on the other speakers is not needed. So why do u care - If I have 300 watt mains and 100 watt surrounds, should I buy a 300 watt amps all around? DO U SEE A POINT IN THAT? I mean....PLEASE! That is TOTALLY STUPID! But I mean if you havnt noticed u are really in technicality arguing about how people have their rigs and why. If you do this and this, and u run this and this like this and that is your way - simply keep it at that. Your way. If you want to spread your insight on your way, do so. Other than that, you have no reason to argue. This is my final vow to this thread. This is my ending - and I shall simply state that I see your arguing completely and utterly dumb.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    liv4 you are pathetic. This was a decent debate/thread before you came here and now it has been reduced to kindergarten like tantrums and insults.

You still haven't made a point. You haven't a clue as to whats going on and you haven't even read this thread word by word all the way through have you? I think not. Your argument is invalid and you are flat out wrong. Not to mention that we have a 14 year old on this forum that has more maturity and sense in his PINKY than you will EVER have in your soul.

You aren't convincing anyone of anything other than your own tunnel vision, immaturity, and flat out ignorance. You are making a real bad name for yourself, and Tweeter (a company that you are supposed to represent).

Seriously, you should contact a therapist as soon as possible and resolve issues that you have somehow carried with you since childhood. If not you are in for a long ride.

Thank you please drive through.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    Ding Fries are done!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Ding Fries are done!

That'd be 99 cent at the second window.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    atcvenom,
    As for your respect for me. Do with it what you will. I will not shed a tear or loose sleep either way. I am not sure what you are refering to in this precisely. On the Instant Messnager I stood by what I said on here. The only thing I failed to mention here is that it is something I personally would not do. For the reasons I once again, claimed on here?
    stop lieing.
    :lol:
    Dan
  • liv4fam
    edited February 2003
    Who is representing tweeter?

When did I say anything about tweeter?

Eff em!!!!!!

You want me to make a point? Here it goes......Home Theater needs 5 speakers plus a subwoofer to be considered a Digital Theater.

Home Theater must have a video monitor 27" or bigger to be considered a theater.

How's that?:p
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    WTF does that have to do with amps?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • phuz
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by liv4fam

How's that?:p

Still completely irrelevant.
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Nothing and who asked you???
    Dan
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    Nothing and who asked you???

The vioces, they say yall have no point and are speaking out your ****$'s
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    thanks Phuz,
    I'm glad im completely useless in here.
    That feels wonderful...............................
    Dan
  • liv4fam
    edited February 2003
    WTF

What does this Polk forum have to do about audio?

I just love to watch you boners get your panties in a bunch.

Dynaudio allday!!!!
  • phuz
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    thanks Phuz,
    I'm glad im completely useless in here.
    That feels wonderful...............................

Got yer goat. :p
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    lol....Phuz I like dat quote! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC