Laptop advice....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, when I go to Korea...I want to take a laptop for my own personal use.

Ok, I'm looking for a BASIC laptop that I can surf the internet and keep in touch with you phucknuts, store pictures, perhaps watch a movie. Nothing elaborate.

What I'm looking for are recommendations as to what is decent and what is not at the low end of the spectrum.

For you computer nerds, speak english....dumb it down for me.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2007
    I went to Best Buys, at the time they were having a different laptop every week on special for 500.00, I waited till the low end Toshiba was 500.00 and got it. My needs were just like yours, just something to surf the net, save pictures and such.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    I'm a big fan of IBM laptops, they are built like tanks but lightweight. I never had a problem with me and I abuse the crap out of it. Goes back and forth to school with me on the train. It is a little thicker than a 1 subject notebook and weighes 3.6 pounds.

IBM x31 is the model and probably can be had on ebay pretty cheap.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited December 2007
    I will only ever travel with an Ultra-Light (3lbs or less) that I can slip into standard carry-on baggage (not in a seperate case), but there is a compromise in performance (they frequently use slower drives and slower processors because of heat management issues in a cramped space) as well as a smaller screen size (but I find they are big enough and good enough to work comfortably). They are also more expensive.

For Ultra-Light I will only ever trust Toshiba (Port
    Alea jacta est!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I believe Dell still sells Windows XP if you don't want to convert to Vista yet.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    I have a Dell E1505 laptop and love it. We got a special promotion at work for working for the government (I imagine you'd be eligible as well). Paid just under $1,000.00 (probably can get it for less now) and it has been really reliable for the last year. No problems whatsoever.

Good luck in your travels and thanks for your service.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Well, no bad advice, but some people don't seem to understand cheap.

If you are vigilant on some of the "deals" sites (slickdeals, fatwallet) you can usually find a lot of Dell laptop deals. I got an Inspiron 1501, with a slightly faster processor and the beefier battery for just over 500 bucks. And it came with XP. Love the laptop so far, and you can't beat that price.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    Roger that. I was looking on the Dell website and they have a couple in the 5-600 dollar range, which is what I'm looking at....but again, I'm not up on what's good and what's not.

BDT
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    TroyD,

Basically anything over $300 will suite your "needs" as you posted in your first post. Just go for the most basic dell laptop, for options choose the biggest hard drive you can choose (reasonably priced) to store your pictures, and get it with the extra warranty if you plan on letting it see some abuse.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    I got a $600 Gateway laptop 14" screen with AMD Turion duo core processor w/2GIG's RAM. it's a speedy little devil. but I haven't loaded up a bunch of crap on it either. It's lightweight, and I use it when I travel and just to do basic stuff like email, AIM, watch DVD's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Kex
    edited December 2007
    There is nothing wrong with Dell (or HP/Compaq) value laptops. They work, and they work well. I would probably avoid Celeron (the cheapest Intel) processors and Vista if you can (too greedy for expensive memory modules).

Circuit City currently has this special offer on Acer (didn't they just buy Gateway?) for $480 with a Pentium Dual Core processor and DVD burner: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=197082&linkid=j13459594k2164&affiliateid=k2164&mid=
    Alea jacta est!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    You gonna' come see me in January? We can hook it up then.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to try man, with me rolling out at the end of April....I'm not sure how that's affecting my travel plans.

This Korea gig is f**king a lot of **** up for me, actually.

BDT
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Roger that. I was looking on the Dell website and they have a couple in the 5-600 dollar range, which is what I'm looking at....but again, I'm not up on what's good and what's not.

BDT

I have one of the $500-600 Dells used for just what you described. Works great, and this is coming from a guy with a MacBook Pro as well. The Dell lower end Laptops are great for their intended purpose. I bought 2 Dell computers in the last year and not a single issue...
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    With those criteria, I'd grab an HP dv2000, or dv2500. 5 pounds Light, reliable, cheap, good battery time, and they look purdy. Go dual core. Intel gets better batter time, the 2500 has the Santa Rosa chipset, and stretches it even further. AMD dual chips have pretty good performance and are generally cheaper, but drain the battery a bit quicker. If it comes with Vista, and you spend time unplugged, install XP.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    With those criteria, I'd grab an HP dv2000, or dv2500. 5 pounds Light, reliable, cheap, good battery time, and they look purdy. Go dual core. Intel gets better batter time, the 2500 has the Santa Rosa chipset, and stretches it even further. AMD dual chips have pretty good performance and are generally cheaper, but drain the battery a bit quicker. If it comes with Vista, and you spend time unplugged, install XP.

I agree. HP is the new king of cheap, good laptops. And, they look pretty. I've got one and am very happy with it.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to try man, with me rolling out at the end of April....I'm not sure how that's affecting my travel plans.

This Korea gig is f**king a lot of **** up for me, actually.

BDT

I hear ya brotha. Lot's of good advice here - if you are looking to be able to do the basics, with little hassle, Toshiba, Sony, and Dell I've had good luck with. Most will have wireless lan built in. For five to six Franklins make sure you get at least a 1.6GHZ, 1 gig of ram, 80 gig hd, and dvd burner. Any upgrades from there will be icing on the cake.

You'll have plenty of power to surf, photos, email - really do pretty much anything except play the latest hardcore games.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Kex
    edited December 2007
    There are actually some cheap ultra portable models from Averatec. Their pricing is unbeatable AFIK, but I have never tried one. They even sell refurbished models for $500 or less! http://www.averatec.com/products/portable/
    Alea jacta est!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    When she's doing the lapdance, remember not to touch or else you may not feel very well the next day when released from the ER.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    Eff that man. I've already got one Korea trip under my belt. I did not buy ONE single juicy while I was over there.

For those that don't know...in the bars over there they have girls (at the time Fillipino...now many are Russian) who will swarm over you wanting you to by them a drink (known as a juicy because it's just pinapple juice with grenadine and that's how they pronounce it)....so for 5 bucks or so a whack, they will sit on your lap and so forth and will continue to do so until you run out of money and contrary to any stories you might hear, there is no sex involved. Those girls are there to separate you from your wampum. Nothing more. IF someone says that they had sex with a juicy, he is either lying OR it cost him BIG BUCKS. If there was prostitution going on, that bar would be off-limits and the bar owners know this so it's in thier best interests not to pander to that. Juicy girls are just an excise tax on stupidity.

Hear this: EFF THAT ****.

BDT
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2007
    As far as regular store bought brands are concerned, Toshiba is the only brand I recommend without hesitation.

Ultimately I recommend Dell for just about anything. From my experience over the past 10 years I've seen the least number of hardware failures, and the best customer support from Dell. At one job I replace 90 workstations (70 desktops and 20 laptops) out of all these I only had one bad cd-rom drive which was promptly replaced. That's pretty hard to beat.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2007
    Eff that man. I've already got one Korea trip under my belt. I did not buy ONE single juicy while I was over there.

For those that don't know...in the bars over there they have girls (at the time Fillipino...now many are Russian) who will swarm over you wanting you to by them a drink (known as a juicy because it's just pinapple juice with grenadine and that's how they pronounce it)....so for 5 bucks or so a whack, they will sit on your lap and so forth and will continue to do so until you run out of money and contrary to any stories you might hear, there is no sex involved. Those girls are there to separate you from your wampum. Nothing more. IF someone says that they had sex with a juicy, he is either lying OR it cost him BIG BUCKS. If there was prostitution going on, that bar would be off-limits and the bar owners know this so it's in thier best interests not to pander to that. Juicy girls are just an excise tax on stupidity.

BDT

Sounds like a regular bar over here."Juicy"...I like it.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I could just see one of those women going for a real job down the road...

Employer: "So, what did you do at your last job?"
    Russian: "I was a juicy at a local bar"

Do they actually refer to themselves as a juicy or is that just the drink you buy them?
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    These girls are indentured servants. The bar owners pay thier freight over from the Phillipines or Russia and they live in one room over the bar (usually) and are, basically, the property of the bar.

Other jobs? When you are essentially and indentured servant I'm thinking that a job title on your resume isn't one of your major concerns.

They usually have made up names....They say 'you buy me juicy?' It's the whole broken english thing that puts the 'E' sound at the end of juice.

BDT
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    I have a pretty big 15% off coupon for the dell outlet ( Dell refurbs/new but never shipped/and scratch and dents ) ...I have bought many many from them and not a single one had any problems...even the scratch and dents I have picked up had such minor issues.
    On half of them I couldnt find the scratch. Dell never sends the outlet coupons to the general public...just to frequent outlet purchasers. This one is good til the 5th of dec so if you would like it pm me....

( Good til the 5th of Dec or 400 redemptions so I would use it asap...sometimes I had waited till 2 days before expiration and 400 people had used the code already )
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    15% off and FREE 3-5 day shipping & handling on
    any refurbished Inspiron™, Dimension™ or
    XPS™ system.
    Enter Coupon² Code at Checkout:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Kex
    edited December 2007

TroyD, you must be a clever man that knows how to avoid thinking with his d*ck! I was once subjected to this behavior in Japan (my host must have thought I might enjoy it). I was trying to figure out what was the whole point. In my case, they actually changed the girls every twenty or thirty minutes. I don't know if this was to keep them from getting too familiar or to keep the guest from getting too many ideas. I never saw the bill so I have no idea how much it cost. Drinks were mostly Cognac and Champagne, if I remember correctly. The wifey worked in the Ukraine for a while herself and saw the American gents doing this stuff all the time. For me, it was a very boring evening, so I'ld like to quote you: EFF THAT ****! Enjoy your trip (I've had some dealings with Koreans also, but never actually went there).
    Alea jacta est!
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    The elder Koreans, I love 'em.

It's not that I'm clever really and if I'm not thinking with my dick, I act directly on it's behalf. That said however, I never saw the point of just flushing money down the toilet.

There is only one babe that I'm buying drinks for and our 12th anniversary is coming up on 30 Dec. That is if I can get her out the door past Ted and George. :D

BDT
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2007
    I like this kind. A really good performer.

sarah03.jpg
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2007
    Oops!!! uhoh.gif Wrong kinda laptop! I guess I shoulda read the posts better! :D
  • TroyD
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to show her my 80gig hard drive.

BDT