best vacuum cleaner

thejck
thejck Posts: 849
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
You guys have any opinions. I have an old rainbow vac that i love. It was left in my house when I bought it and i have to spend a hundred bucks or so to fix it up. part of the fix was nex carbon brushes.

Well Been using it for a year and it quit yesterday after making a slight burning smell. Taking it back to the guy that fixed it to tell me whats wrong and if its the brushes going bad then he said it would be anohter 50 bucks to replace it.

I am kinda mad cause i didn't think brushes last for a year only...

should I bother with fixing this up or move on to something better.
If so what are great vacuums that u guys have experience with
Post edited by thejck on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2007
    This thread makes me feel like I have ****.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited November 2007
    About a year ago, I did some research and ended up getting the bug to buy a Sebo. Did a little more research and found that some of the Windsor commercial vacs are the same exact models as the ultra expensive Sebos, but almost half the price. Did a little more research and found out that there are several other 'rebadged' brands that are identical to the Sebos. So I found one and bought it off Ebay. Its the same exact model as the Windsor Sensor XP.

It works awesome. Quiet German dual stage motor, cogged belt that is lifetime rated, easy bag change, easy brush removal, auto height sensing and a whole slew of other automatic things. I've used Kirbys, Hoovers, Electrolux, Samsung, and this Windsor puts them all to shame.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Is tomorrow Toaster Oven Tuesday?:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote:

You do....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    We have a Filter Queen that cost more than I could ever imagine paying for a vacum cleaner. My wife loves it, and she gave up me putting in a central vac system to get it.

IMHO, the best vac, is the one I don't have to use.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7htv6s2xGgc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7htv6s2xGgc&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Nice. I'm glad I watched that whole thing.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited November 2007
    I bought my gen 3 Kirby 600.00 back in 91 and Ive spent a total of 100.00 on it with new roller brush new fan several belts over time and a good cleaning at the vac repair place. its the best vacuum Ive ever had in my opinion and I would buy another. My repair was just done maybe a month ago so IMHO thats pretty good.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    No one liked my joke about wrong forum and telling him to visit the Mommys world forum......jeez you guys a brutal this week. :rolleyes:

I just laughed my a$$ off..
    I actually went to the mommy site (don`t ask !) , and Chris Rock was doin his Comedy bit...Hilarious !!

By the way, what fabric softener do you guys use ?

:rolleyes:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Nut-So-Soft
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Nut-So-Soft

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BTW Oreck is by far the best vacuum I have ever owned.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007

Whatever my wife buys.

When I was single and I needed to do laundry, just as often as not, I figured it was a good time to go clothes shopping.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    I've never worn an article of fabric-softened clothing in my life. Those are the kind of things that makes your reproductive organs shrivel and fall off.

Kirby is good as a wide-area vacuum, like Royal markets themselves for. For more general purposes I'd skip them.
  • thejck
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

maybe you should post your picture in the tasteful or tasteless babe thread. You decide :-)..
  • thejck
    edited November 2007
    has anyone had any bad experieces going with a used vacuums
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited November 2007
    I swear by my Oreck. Works great and parts are cheap. 10 yr warranty on the motor. Next time you stay at a hotel, look at what they use. Almost every one uses Oreck. They are extremely light but have a lot of suck power. The hotel use is what sold me. I figured they use vacumns every day all day and would buy the most reliable and cost effecient model.
  • thejck
    edited November 2007
    i would like whatever I buy to last forever but I am also looking for something that has great sucking power. Hotels might invest in equipment that lasts forever but how clean do they keep their rooms?
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited November 2007
    Orecks are not known to have the greatest sucking power. They are not known to last forever either. They are simply too cheap.

For max suction, look for something with a dual stage vacuum motor. Greater suction using the same power.

Take a look at Sebo/Windsor Automatic series. They are built to last, trust me.

http://www.sebo-vacuums.com/frameset.htm?dir=Products
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    We always bought Electralux but hey don't seem to last like they used too and start at around $800.00. I bought her a Dyson DC-17 on sale for 450.00 and it works better then anything she ever had.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    I personally hate Oreck's advertising, but I give them a lot of credit with their support. Most of their vacuums ship with service manuals included, and they're designed to be easy to repair. The uprights are good lightweight machines. I'm not sold on the portable cannister--a few years back they had a recall for them catching on fire.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    That would be the DC-17.

actually, the purple ones are the "Animals" which comes with two extra attachments. The 17 is the ball so it turns easier. You can get the 07, 14, 15 and the 17 in Animal if you want purple. I just bought a DC14 (yellow) and love it. The motor and suction is the same on all models, just different attachments and how it rolls. I got mine on sale for $379 instead of 499. I still have no idea why I spent that damn much on a vacuum but the thing definitely sucks! My brother swears his rocks so I took the dyson over there and let him vacuum the room twice. Then I did one fast vacuum over the room (11x17 so not that big) and I pulled about 1.25 canisters out. He was sold... Dyson!!!

Now I don't vacuum the house, I Dyson it. I have the woman saying "Hey, can you dyson the chair for me real fast." it's funny!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2007
    I only recommend two vacuums. Kenmore and VPI...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    I purchased a used Oreck a couple of weeks ago off ebay. I think it was built in the early 90's, but looks fairly new. Cheap, works well, with decent suction. I'm sure there are better cleaners out there, but for less than $100 bucks shipped, I'm not prepared to drop $400 - $500 on a vacuum cleaner. Not sure why, 'cause I spent $500 on a VitaMix a few years ago, so what's the difference? I'll tell ya -- it's called a wife. Luckily, she's not into "high end" vacuum cleaners.

Hmmm. Since the estrogen levels are higher than normal this week on the forum, maybe I'll start a small kitchen appliance thread.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    Toxis wrote: »
    actually, the purple ones are the "Animals" which comes with two extra attachments. The 17 is the ball so it turns easier. You can get the 07, 14, 15 and the 17 in Animal if you want purple. I just bought a DC14 (yellow) and love it. The motor and suction is the same on all models, just different attachments and how it rolls.

You may be correct about the purple being an "animal" version. The 17 is only offered in an Animal so I thought it was related to the 17, not the version.

The 17 does have different suction and a more aggressive brushbar. It is their current performance model. (the only one with the improved suction and stiffer brisles designed for better removal of animal hair)

Michael.

(I am officially geek of the year - and in this company, thats saying something.....)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, yeah...don't go flattering yourself. That's still self-proclaimed geek of the year...;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2007
    Where's Wilma? Anybody seen her?
    Got a baby elephant vacuum cleaner!
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    My vote is for Darryl Strawberry.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    My vote is for Darryl Strawberry.

I agree, very reliable vacuum over time. The Dwight Gooden model was almost as good.