best vacuum cleaner

Comments

• thejckthejck Posts: 831
    edited November 2007
    i am still confused about the dyson's. what are the "animals" "purples" got to do with the numbers. and is all the suction the same. what about dyson canisters are they the same suction. what should i limit myself to looking at in the dysons
  • McLokiMcLoki Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2007
    the "Animal" version has more tools that come with it than a standard version. The tools are ok, but not great and not worth a premium. The DC-17 model is only offered in an animal version (with all the tools) but it is the most efficent vac they make with a very stiff brush that really pulls animal hair out of your carpet. (and if your carpets are fairly new, plenty of carpet fuzz as well)

The DC-17 is the model that we purchased and really like. (I have not tried other dyson models) It pulls fur and dust out of our carpets like you would not believe and really reduced, almost to the point of elimination, the animal smell that we had in our house.

It is expensive, but really is well worth it.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, [email protected])
  • JimBRICKJimBRICK Posts: 1,547
    edited November 2007
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • ND13ND13 Posts: 7,648
    edited November 2007
    The wife and I were researching vacuums a few months back and we read somewhere that the Electrolux(can't remember which model #) was rated the best.

I've not heard anything negative about Dysons, yet.

Steer clear of Dirt Devils...they simply just fall apart.

The Hoover we settled on, due to $$$, has the same design concept(Cyclonic) as the Dyson, but I'm certain it's not as well made as the Dyson.

The best vacuum, I've used, for any length of time, was our Phantom.

There was also this chick I met, when in the military. I always claimed she could suck start a Harley.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • wingnut4772wingnut4772 Posts: 7,576
    edited November 2007
    I have had a Dyson for about 5 years with no problems.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,716
    edited November 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »

that's the one we have and it leaves nothing behind
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

edited November 2007
    would there be any reason for the carbon brush in a rainbow to go out in about a years time. COuld I have just jarred it loose moving it around?

I am thinking about getting the rainbow fixed as he said he will do it for 35 bucks. and its a great vacuum as long as it lasts more than a year this time.

this sucks.
    edited November 2007
    no pun intended
  • avguytxavguytx Posts: 1,623
    edited November 2007
    I have a Kirby Gen II that my grandfather bought for my grandmother back in 1987 I think it was. I inherited it about 10 years ago and just this last year I had to spend $100 for an internal switch because it wouldn't turn on/off. Other than the typical bag replacement, it's been a good VC.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • BIZILLBIZILL Posts: 5,577
    edited November 2007
    jstas's intake.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)
    XBOX 360WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,634
    edited November 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    jstas's intake.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
    edited November 2007
    the vacuum repair guy said that the dysons have problems in the long run. He also said that they put out a lot of dirt back into the air. But I dont know if he is trustworthy.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,716
    edited November 2007
    thejck wrote: »
    the vacuum repair guy said that the dysons have problems in the long run. He also said that they put out a lot of dirt back into the air. But I dont know if he is trustworthy.

They have a hepa filter hooked up to it. can't see it shooting lots back in the air. Long run...they have not been on the market that long...and what is the long run...5-10-15-20yrs...Hey, if my dyson gives me problems atfer 10yrs it's done it's job.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• HolydocHolydoc Posts: 1,077
    edited November 2007
    MKZ wrote: »
    I have Eureka 4870GZ and it really sucks. bags are cheap and easy to find also. It has good reviews by Consumer Reports.

Same vacuum we just bought to replace our Dyson. The Eureka performs great and is in the very reasonable price range. I just was not that impressed with the suction of the Dyson. However after listening to all this raving about it, I may have gotten a lemon. :confused:
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • hljones821hljones821 Registered User Posts: 36
    edited November 2007
    Rainbow E2 is incredible. If you vacuum your matress, you will see.
    2 Channel: Adcom GTP-450,Adcom GFA-555II,Denon DVD-1920,Denon DCD-610,Pro-ject Phono Box E, Technics SL-BD22,Grado Prestige Green,Polk Audio RTi100,Velodyne F-1200 sub

HT Rig: Mitsubishi WD-73642,HK AVR-2600, Sony BDP-S580, Polk R50s Main,R30s Surrounds,CSi25 Center,SVS 25-31 PCi Sub NSD Upgrade
  • BlueMDPickerBlueMDPicker Old Polk Posts: 6,983
    edited December 2007
    Just bought the Dyson DC-17 Allergy model from Best Vacuum in Chicago for $399 shipped ($100 plus shipping cost savings from Dyson's online store.) We have pulled a friggin' ton of dust, dirt, and loose pile out of our very regularly vacuumed (and we thought relatively clean) carpeting. I'm just amazed.

I believe it would, as Willie Nelson said in 'Honeysuckle Rose', "suck a golf ball through a fifty foot length of garden hose." :p

• RicardoRicardo Posts: 10,509
    edited December 2007
    We have been using a Sona the last couple of weeks. This one really sucks.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • McLokiMcLoki Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    We have been using a Sona the last couple of weeks. This one really sucks.

Ricardo - We were considering one of those instead of the Dyson, but all the models we evaluated were quite shrill sounding and not one of them seemed to have a functioning off switch.

Annoying to say the least.....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, [email protected])
  • brettw22brettw22 Posts: 7,700
    edited December 2007
    LOL.......good stuff.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    meterdq8.gif
  • fatchowmeinfatchowmein Posts: 2,642
    edited February 2010
    Thanks to everyone who recommended a Dyson. We picked up a DC25 Blueprint at Fry's for $480 which was $30 more expensive than the regular, yellow DC25 but they were out of it. Wife liked the white color of the Blueprint and it had a floor attachment that worked great under our couch.

We have two lab mixes and I was concern we may need the DC25 Animal but after almost two weeks since our Dirt Devil fried and bit the farm (NASTY!) the DC25 BP didn't have any problems.

Pros
    Canister with trap door
    Length of cord
    Suction
    Ball
    Noise level compared to the Dirt Devil's banshee cry
    Ability to turn of the brush
    Balance (Our Dirt Devil would tip over when using the tube extension)
    Ease of brush removal
    Lifetime Hepa filter
    No belt
    No bags
    Weight (16 lbs?)

Con
    The canister is tiny
    Price

Concerns
    The Upright Kick Down is plastic and looks flimsy (doesn't feel flimsy)

I just hope it lasts at least 10 years like the Dirt Devil.

Disclaimer:
    You may not want to read too much into this since I normally only buy cheap vacuum cleaners. I do 99.99% of the vacuuming around here due to wife's medical condition. 1,300 ft^2 apt. We had a gift cert from Xmas that lowered our actual cost tremendously.
  • NotaSuvNotaSuv Posts: 2,714
    edited February 2010
    Have had the Dyson animal for over 5 years and still works like the day we got it, its used every day for our 2 shedding dogs...........cant believe the amount of stuff it picks up...its a pleasure to use..
  • comfortablycurtcomfortablycurt Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2010
    Who has time to vacuum? I'm usually to busy listening to my 2 channel rig to worry about such trivial things as vacuuming.;):p

So...does anyone else find it weird that the word "vacuum" has two "U's" in it? It just doesn't seem like that should be allowed...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • lanchilelanchile Posts: 566
    edited February 2010
    My vote is for Miele...white star!.These German people know what they do!!!;)
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • bigaudiofanaticbigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,422
    edited February 2010
    Another vote for the dyson, bought an animal than put that after 4 years bought another one so now one for upstairs one for downstairs. Neighbor bought one as well.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • billbillwbillbillw Posts: 5,820
    edited February 2010
    Dysons may have more measured vacuum pull, but that doesn't mean they do the best job of cleaning, or that they are well built, reliable or long lasting.

I'm very happy with my Sebo/Windsor upright. They are typically one of the highest recommended by allergy groups right along with Miele. They are also German made and well engineered. Sebo vacuums are also sold under the Windsor name (for commercial sales). You can often find the Windsor versions cheaper.
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • concealer404concealer404 Posts: 7,461
    edited February 2010
    I just bought a new vaccuum cleaner for $40 from WalMart. I don't remember the brand or model.

It sucks my carpets.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,524
    edited February 2010
    Bought a Dyson DC25 Animal for about $500 in December. Its a beautiful looking machine, but clearly not worth the money. We have a golden and her fine hair just gets into the end of the roller ball joint like with every other vaccuum we have owned. And that hair in the roller joint quickly ends up smelling like burned hair. Eventually it will destroy the roller, pretty much like the $100 Eureka before this. Suction power is good, but I was hoping that with the "Animal" designation, they would have designed a better vaccuum. Unfortunately, I am disappointed. Its past its return period, but I would just as well have gone with something half the price. Oh... and that 5 year warranty does not help when you are on hold waiting for an agent for 25 minutes. Eventually just hung up.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 2,153
    edited February 2010
    We have an older yellow Dyson...bought it at Sears and took out the warranty(don't usually do this)....glad I did!! It's been back for repair at least twice every year. Wife uses it hard though but still!! We kept our old Rainbow and glad we did or she would go nuts not running a clener for the 1 to 2 weeks it takes to get the Dyson back. It does work well...when it works.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.
  • bigaudiofanaticbigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,422
    edited February 2010
    As I said love our dysons even with 3 cats and a black lab. Never had a problem and it is better than my neighbors orek and my moms old kerby.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Matt34Matt34 Posts: 321
    edited February 2010
    We use a Dyson on the carpeted floors and a Miele for the tile. I like the Miele because it's quite but it doesn't suck as good as the dyson on the carpet.:D The Dyson we have had for about five years and every year we take it into Sears to get maintenance done, never had a problem with it.