Why..........

Options
shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
the threadjacking and button pushing?????? I have been a member for a couple of years and enjoy patrolling the forum for audio advice among other topics. It seems that some here patrol the threads just to start a fight and get their rocks off upsetting people. I was told by a guy that I trust and respect when I first joined this forum to handle disagreements via PM. It is a much more respectable way to settle your disagreements and you may even find something in common with people that you don't necessarily agree with on all topics.

It seems to me that some would rather flex their keyboard muscles, vulture others posts and show everyone how "right" they are instead of contributing in a positive way to this great forum. The political arguements, name calling and downright rudeness take away from this place. Disagreements will happen; perhaps disagreements with a little respect, courtesy and class would be better suited in a lot of cases.

Shawn
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4
Post edited by shawn474 on

Comments

• AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Lets just say it's been a challenging couple months in here. But yeah, I agree.. some people take things to far some times. Button pushing came to a head recently.. and some people got banned.

But lucky for you all, i'm still here :rolleyes: :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    Lets just say it's been a challenging couple months in here. But yeah, I agree.. some people take things to far some times. Button pushing came to a head recently.. and some people got banned.

But lucky for you all, i'm still here :rolleyes: :p;)

Thank god, the forum would have come to an end.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have seen this on all of the forums I am on lately.....I got attacked by some guy the other day on a car forum I am on...To the point that he sent me his number "so we can meet up and I can kick your ****"....I'm not saying I was an angel in the process, but hell, I've never actually been pissed....F'in silly if you ask me...When I saw all of that pop up around here, I just stopped cruising the forum. There was a new member everyday who decided the rules didn't apply to him (Flea Market add in other sections, post whoring, etc.) and a few who just decided that they were going to come in and JUDGE.....I attribute some of it to the season, more people are indoors, and surfing the interweb, but the level I have seen is unacceptable here as well as the other two forums I frequent....I have always been pretty abrupt with my opinion on most of these matters, but I would like to think that is appreciated...There is no reason for it, and at least around here it gets dealt with pretty quick, thanks to Justin, Russ, and Doro...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Why..........

Because.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    the threadjacking and button pushing?????? I have been a member for a couple of years and enjoy patrolling the forum for audio advice among other topics. It seems that some here patrol the threads just to start a fight and get their rocks off upsetting people. I was told by a guy that I trust and respect when I first joined this forum to handle disagreements via PM. It is a much more respectable way to settle your disagreements and you may even find something in common with people that you don't necessarily agree with on all topics.

It seems to me that some would rather flex their keyboard muscles, vulture others posts and show everyone how "right" they are instead of contributing in a positive way to this great forum. The political arguements, name calling and downright rudeness take away from this place. Disagreements will happen; perhaps disagreements with a little respect, courtesy and class would be better suited in a lot of cases.

Shawn

There’s a bit of an establishment on the Polk forums with a very set view on the world that likes to talk about it. They by and large use their post count, length of service and pack friend mentality to bully people who post up logical counter views to their arguments. You may continue to defend yourself but it ends in dog piling and they eventually start thread trolling you with personal assaults. One has no choice but to drop a logical argument and start responding to their personal assaults because they are allowed to do it. They start dropping random PM's on you to intimidate you to leave the forums. Hell, in a previous thread I was in a logical argument with people and out of nowhere one of them (the usual) strait up attacks me (which I defended) and his buddies came running in calling me an "instigator".

Its pretty much that simple.

I've said it before, I’m not intimidated by these guys. This is a public Polk forums. I’m a big time Polk Speaker fan and I've dropped a lot of money on Polks along with a LOT of free press on their fine speakers. I have as much right as anyone to be here on these forums.

Hell, the other day one of them actually sent me a PM bragging about how much money he made that day… “I made 19K sitting in my lawyers office, how much did you make”…

I had no response except “dude, I never asked for your financials, why do you think I care how much money you make”….

But it was all an intimidation tactic.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Silverti wrote: »
    There’s a bit of an establishment on the Polk forums with a very set view on the world that likes to talk about it. They by and large use their post count, length of service and pack friend mentality to bully people who post up logical counter views to their arguments. You may continue to defend yourself but it ends in dog piling and they eventually start thread trolling you with personal assaults. One has no choice but to drop a logical argument and start responding to their personal assaults because they are allowed to do it. They start dropping random PM's on you to intimidate you to leave the forums. Hell, in a previous thread I was in a logical argument with people and out of nowhere one of them (the usual) strait up attacks me (which I defended) and his buddies came running in calling me an "instigator".

I've said it before, I’m not intimidated by these guys. This is a public Polk forums. I’m a big time Polk Speaker fan and I've dropped a lot of money on Polks along with a LOT of free press on their fine speakers. I have as much right as anyone to be here on these forums.

Hell, the other day one of them actually sent me a PM bragging about how much money he made that day… “I made 19K sitting in my lawyers office, how much did you make”…

I had no response except “dude, I never asked for your financials, why do you think I care how much money you make”….

I don't see it this way at all....I have posted counterpoints to some members who have post counts are well beyond mine, and received no such treatment. It is called tact and social skills, and some people just lack them. Some people just like to be confrontational I guess. :rolleyes:
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Silverti

I believe this particular thread's intent is to complain about the BS that has been going on lately. Not an inquiry as to why it is happening or an explanation.

Please save your disputes with other members via PM. Yes, you have have every right to be like everyone else. So talk about Polk speakers already or at least something Audio related.
  • shawn474
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Silverti,
    My post did not intend to single anyone out or take sides. In fact, this seems to have been going on a lot around here lately from a lot of different people. I'm not going to take sides here - that would just contribute to the problem. I have my own views and will keep them to myself. The only suggestion that I can give is one that was given to me awhile back. PM whoever is rubbing you the wrong way and settle these types of things like adults. This type of thing seriously detracts from the forum.

Shawn
    Shawn
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Some can just agree to disagree. Some cannot, and that's a shame.

To some, it's not "Why?", but "Why not?".

If folks agree to disagree and leave it at that................
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I like to eat muffins.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That's funny. I prefer pie. :p
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I like my muffins strawberry blonde and juicy ;)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Bottom line, don't be a DICK! plain and simple
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    I like my muffins strawberry blonde and juicy ;)

hahahaha I was thinking the same thing....:D
  • shawn474
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Bear claws, anyone?
    Shawn
  • treitz3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Sorry, distasteful post. Removed.

Ah, crap Sal!
  • treitz3
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Haha, oh well. :p
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Here's my two cents.

Everyone has opinions. We all forget, but online communities are big mixes of lots of different people from every walk of life. We're cramming in cultures that normally wouldn't meet. We all share audio for a hobby, but politics and religion come up and things easily get out of hand.

This forum is pretty unique in that it's such a great group of people, many of whom share more than audio in common, so these conversations often go pretty well, but folks with dissenting opinions can feel ganged up on because they're in such a minority. THey get defensive, and things go crazy fast.

I also like muffins.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Options
    It would be SO damn funny to have a button that transported all forum members who were online at any given time to a Roman type real physical forum enviroment. You would see a LOT of forum personalities transformed instantly...guys that start all kinds of **** online transformed into little say nothing wussies in the real world.

You would also see the other extreme as well...guys that are never confrontational online....never see them keeping a thread alive going on and on just talking crap....are really an octagon fighter in real life.

Its the INTERNET...take it for what it really is...

Damn you Sal....when I was replying here I heard this HORRIBLE music...couldnt stand it any longer and scrolled down...your video had automatically started :D
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited November 2007
    Options
    HEAR!HEAR! Bob!
    I'm stiil new here, but have learned a lot by reading various posts. If people would just come to learn, compare and of course, argue in a CIVIL manner about this craft, instead of coming in and trying to blow people out of the water first day. There would be less animosity.
    I've opened my doors to you all and many of you have accepted. Not doing it to show off, but to learn more from others who have the knowledge. And for that I thank you.
    New guys and gals, listen to them. Instead of pissing everybody off and then crying foul. Do what your ears are here for. Listening.
    Russ

BIG Fluffy Muffins;)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Tom, Sal. That was some funny ****. Bob and Tom haven't been the same since the FCC **** (goose)stepped in. Thanks for the mammories!:D:eek:;)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I like to eat muff<strike>ins</strike>.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2007
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    fruitcake

Oh no......here we go again..........:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    Options

your coming off a little whiney here dude. not to be hurtful, I'm just sayin................................
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    Options
    ohskigod wrote: »
    your coming off a little whiney here dude. not to be hurtful, I'm just sayin................................

And the fun begins?

I don't know much, but I do know this is why I never attack another's opinion, especially with personal assaults. No point in trying to persuade some one that their opinion is wrong. As per its definition, opinions are subjective and everyone is right.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    Options
    The i-meltdowns are usually entertaining and always fun to follow for awhile...then they get boring...and it's time to go on to something else.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited November 2007
    Options

So, would you like some cheese with that whine?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    edited November 2007
    Options
    This threads...

Reminds me of someone playing a very very small violin in a corner...

Hmmm
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.