Using Video interconnects for audio - AGAIN

Options
2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think this is a pointless debate Troy.When you get back from duty,if your really intrested in the topic,then you can try it out for yourself.
    Your asking the wrong person as to WHY it sounds different and why audio and video cables are constructed different.

I do know this...........they sound different.Audio cables aren't cut out for video duty.......WHY???

As for everyone else involved in this topic,report back only AFTER you have YOUR OWN findings,other then that this is pointless.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Actually...
    One solder connection for core wire plus crimp the shield.

I am using these to terminate three ~35' coax runs to carry component video from AVP to monitor.

Your absolutely correct here Tour2... for your runs what type coax do you use? are you running RG 59?

the connectors you show are MUCH better than the standard cable company solderless F connector crimp on type. Without the tool to properly attach the connector it very difficult to maintain the integrity of the cable and ensure a robust connection. In theory the connection should not change the geometry of the coax and serve only as an interface.

The next step in quality are the BNC style connection's " my personel favorite and what we use at work for T1's through RF " but again they are a soldered connections and the outer sheeth is not deformed at all when installed correctly. SMA connectors are also good when space is a limitation but I have never been thrilled with these types of connections.

For any RF connection it is important to maintain the Id/Od relationships of the line. If you have your connections on the outside make sure they are weather proofed. I like to use Scotch Guard then layer your electrical tape when it is dry.

I did not intend to take this thread past a point of diminishing returns from a HT standpoint but my intent was more of a how things work standpoint.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    Your absolutely correct here Tour2... for your runs what type coax do you use? are you running RG 59?
    the connectors you show are MUCH better than the standard cable company solderless F connector crimp on type. HBomb
    I must display a little ignorance here (not that it's a first or anything), but I don't know "RG 59". I bought some "good" quality coax with the connectors.

Connectors were $2.50 ea "no-names" out of a bin. I think they're intended for use in security camera wiring. They are well constructed and gold plated (just the contact points, not solid gold ;) ). I also liked the spring support on the a$$ end to prevent crimping. The colored bands will be a help as well.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD