DLP, LCD, Plasma or wait.

Options
jdavy
jdavy Posts: 380
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I have a 5 year old Sony 35" XBR television and I am thinkg about HDTV. I like the 34" and 30" CRT's that my friends have. I want a great tv to match my DVD player and still play my Directivo just fine. Is now the time to buy or wait for the prices to drop and the quality to improve?

Jellous but patient in California.
Post edited by jdavy on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sony Plasma's are really great.The 42" set wall mounted is killer.It would be nice with your 9000,which is one hell of a good DVD player.
    Direct tivo will look good but not as good as it does on your 35.The format is incorrect.4:3 isn't as good on 16/9 sets.Shame but thats how it is right now.Video is all effed up.2 many formats.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i would wait the plasma has a very short life span. 2-5 years then the screens go bad. dlp is the thing of the futhure. in a few years i want a dlp projector
  • jdavy
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Goingganzo,

That is the first I have heard about the short life span of a plasma. I guess it would pay to buy an extended warranty with one of those. You think DLP is the way to go. I do not know much about DLP. I noticed that Sony does not have a unit and that begs a standard question.

Mantis,

Thanks for the 16/9 and 4/3 comments. I have noticed that but did not know what to make of it. I thought it might be just me. The 34" CRT Sony XBR 16/9 does not look so bad on directv but small screen.

No one has commented on the LCD like the Sony Grand Vega. What does everone think about them? Also, what about a HD standard rear projection. The last newspaper from Polk Audio seemed to favor a Sony HD rear projection 16/9 but did not complete their review of Home Theater.

Polk, any chance the gang here on the forum can get an avanced continuation of that article or at least your comments on monitors for home theater?

Thanks to everyone for their support.
  • cruiser3
    cruiser3 Posts: 47
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My 1/2 cent opine. I agree with goingganzo, DLP seems to be the upcoming technology. Plasma, from reports, does have a short life spam considering the cost. Im waiting for mid to late 2004 before I buy a new set.
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    there are 3 types of prokectors the 3-1 bulb analogcant think of the name at this time.,dlp and lcd. crt is the old type with is in most to allmost all rear projectors. lcd is newer and is in olny front projevtor it projects light throgh a lcd. newer and beter than the first . dlp is the thing of the futhure. it is digital and not analog.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited February 2003
    Options
    right......what he just said ;)

Seriously though....just wait.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I checked out the Marantz S1 DLP projector this weekend at a friends house. This is a 1280X720 HD projector. The short on it is if you've got a good input (108i, 720p, 480p) you get a good picture. A fantastic picture for the 1080 and 720. Regular TV is almost unwatchable on a 100" screen. In fact, the proud owner says he doesn't watch regular tv on the projector. DLP is where I'm heading. I'm about 2 years out on a purchase. Not enough material to make it worthwhile.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i'd wait a few more years.. the price will drop, and picture quality will improve greatly over the next 2 to 5 yrs. I say this because not much is being broadcast in HDTV, yet. YEah the superbowl was and some other programs. but in the next 2 - 5 yrs most all broadcasters will be sending out an HDTV signal. It will be awesome once they do.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    and the hd tunner will be afordable. proabley 100-200bucks for the tuner.
  • jdavy
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I will wait and keep an eye on the DLP systems. I understand that there is a fan noise issue but whwn I buy in the next two years they will have improved that.