RTA 11t crossover "upgrade" to tl wiring schematics are here!

Options
13»

Comments

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Ok, I will get the information when I get home after work. I think
    you can use those black plastic container of Motor Oil, the one
    gallon container...:) just give some idea but look for much
    better materials.

Har
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by har_navalta
    byteme,
    You know what... keep it in one thread, much better...so you don't
    miss anything...
    I'm sure some of us here following this thread.
    Har
    Great advice, har... Thanks for offering it and thanks to byteme for taking it...

Sorry for this interruption, please continue...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • byteme
    byteme Posts: 73
    edited February 2003
    Options
    OK - FINISHED!! I spent last night learning how to solder, getting burnt fingers and breathing flux!! However, things worked out well, everything is connected and operational! I didn't get home from working on them until late and I still had to glue the caps and other pieces from wiggling around and crimp the connectors but it's all DONE!

I almost had a stroke though when I first fired stuff up again - the right tweeter didn't work. I pulled it out with the music on and replaced it with an SL2000, which worked (WHEW!) - so I knew it wasn't the crossover. Then I swapped the new left and new right, and the left one didn't work in the right speaker but the one that originally didn't work in the right one worked fine in the left one - so it wasn't the tweeter. Odd, though, that the SL 2000 worked?!? Turned out it was a bad crimp on the connector, so I sqeezed the hell out of it and everything is fine.

I didn't have much of a chance to listen last night but the little I did hear I can say this, MUCH different sound, more real, more live, more defined and bigger low end, smoother highs! Love that new tweeter! Drums sound and feel like they are in the room with you, much more dynamic all around. I'll have more to say when we get back from vacation and I have a chance to do some more listening.

They were a beast to get back into the hole on the back of the speaker. Stuff really sticks off the side of the board and I should have been more careful with keeping things tight on the board. That being said, if you would sand maybe 1/8" off the hole all the way around I don't think you'd have any trouble with them. Let's just say I hope I don't ever have to take these things out!!

So, there you have it, a completely rebuilt crossover, the only thing that's the same is the board! New tweeters, new internal wiring (oh, order an additional 6 feet - 3 of each color of the 15.5 ga Cardas, I ran out and only had enough to do one speakers mid-run) and new binding posts.

Pics of the new stuff can be found here - http://webpages.charter.net/btreinen/speaker_tweak.htm

Oh, by the way - I've got some "slightly used" original SL2000 tweeters for sale!!
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited February 2003
    Options
    byteme,

Excellent Job!!! wow...:) I'm jealous I wanna tweak my 11TL's crossovers too with all the parts that you listed.

So the only missing now is the baffles above the tweeters,
    I do not have time last night to get the info. but I will do it
    by the weekends.

Anyway I am very happy you'd done it...;)

Har
  • byteme
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Har,

No problem. I'm gone all next week on vacation so can't mess with anything till I'm back anyway. I don't think there is any way you wouldn't notice a difference in doing it. Serioiusly, the low end is just REALLY full now. I always thought these had good bass response but this is drastically different. And the mids right now, all I can say, is dynamic and clear. Like I said, drums on Dave Matthews So Much to Say at the beginning you can really feel them hit now. And the highs, I don't know how much is due to tweeter or x-over tweaks, but they are much much smoother, I listened to Sarah McLachlin - Angel, and typically at higher volumes there are a couple spots in the song where I cringe on the high notes because they were brittle almost. But, now, nothing like that, still loud, still high, but now...smooth, crisp and clear!!

Thanks to you and F1nut for the prodding. I would NEVER have done this without you guys and instead would have spent much more on new speakers. And thanks very much to my friend Jay who taught me how to solder and helped with putting this together.

THANKS!!

I've put the full parts list, links and pics on my page and will keep them there for reference.
  • byteme
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Here's a couple quickies in case you don't want to jump out to my site:

Old crossover
    old%20cross%20side.jpg

New crossover

new%20cross%20side.jpg

new%20posts%20with%20julians.jpg
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Wow, those xovers look really beefy now. I'm sure the improvment in performance of them was worth every penny....:D
    Hey, I have a friend that has some sdas that might be interested in your sl2000's. If you want to contact me about it my email is hotwheel@chartertn.net.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2003
    Options
    byteme,

Excellent job, glad that you're happy with the outcome.

If hotwheelman's buddy doesn't want the SL2000's, I might be interested. I'll keep them as spares for my 2B's. How much do you want for them?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• byteme
    edited February 2003
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You've got mail.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk