RTA 11t crossover "upgrade" to tl wiring schematics are here!

byteme
byteme Posts: 73
edited February 2003 in Speakers
OK, Jesse and har I got the wiring diagrams yesterday in the mail. I pulled a crossover and took some pictures of them as well. I'm by no means an electrical engineer, and I'm having some trouble reading these and IDing the parts on the actual x-over, but there are only 3 differences between the two crossovers that I can see. I'll scan these in and post them as soon as I can.

If you could maybe take a look at them and let me know what I'll need for parts I'll get them ordered up!!

Brian.

They scanned as .pdf files so I'll need to mail them to you.
Post edited by byteme on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2003
    Send me a email.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• byteme
    edited January 2003
    Jesse,

You've requested not to recieve emails from the board. Could you mail me at btreinen@ charter. net

No spaces of course.

Thanks!
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited January 2003
    You guys, let me know whats going on... maybe I can help.
  • har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    I have identified the crossover of the RTA 11T's(Pic. attatched). Also it stated in the X'over Schematic of the "11TL" that these number should be replaced.

Replace these part with the correct Values to TL version.

2a = replace to 5W 1.5 ohms

3 = replace to 16uF

4 = replace to 0.3mH

and the number 5 should be remove. The number 1 is the
    safeguard (This will stay if you want) doesn't make any
    difference.

I tried my best to identify it, please correct me if something
    is not right.

Har
  • har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    byteme,

You may unclip the board of the crossover and flip over so that
    you can identify which is which to remove and replace.

I think this upgrade is not that hard. Soldering is a must for this
    mods.

Har
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Har,

Damn nice job! He just emailed me the schematics, but I haven't looked at them yet.....looks like I don't have to.

Jesse

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Jesse,

We have to upgrade our SRS1.2TL's and 2.3TL's too. I should
    do these mods sooner the better...

I have all the info but, I have to make my Center channel
    RTA 15TL first... too many projects:confused:

Har
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Har,

Yep, it's on my to do list....there's alot on that list and a few more from my dad too! I should get to it sometime this year...lol.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Ok, RTA 11T owners, here is the x'over of the "TL". The parts
    I named are the parts you will put to your "T" x'over.

byteme, now notice that there is no Safeguards for the "TL". You can keep it, it doesn't make any difference as long as you
    will remove the number 5 described earlier and change the other
    parts (2a, 3 and 4) with the correct values.

Har
  • har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Here is another VIEW of the "TL" crossover.
  • har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Jesse,

I think we should Post a thread like this one for the 1.2TL and
    2.3TL mods.

But I want some other member of the forums to participate too...
    What do you think?

Let me know Polkies...

Har
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Har,
    I've been following this with great interest. I'd support the new threads, but please don't leave us SRS owners out. After all, don't we have the most gain?
    Is the "goo" in the photos from a glue gun, or is it silicon caulk?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    it is proabley glew so the coil is not messed up after tuneing. if you move or dammage the windes on the coil it will change in value. to do the sidering you need a soder sucker and a good iron and some soder. to soder you heat the part and not the soder aply soder to part and remove. prety easy but you have to keep your iron tined and hot. i am prety good at it. but hate the smell.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Tour2ma,

The SRS will have to be up to you since neither Har nor I own any. What are you looking to do? Whenever I get to my 2.3TL's, I'll be glad to share the info.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Not sure at this point. Only know that upgrades are for a reason and what's been discussed about the electronics is within my capabilities. Becomes a matter of finding the parts to match the revised crossovers (would obviously come first). Only upgrade I'd have to look into further would be the internal bracing.

Like I said in my upgade question thread, "Once you know what's out there..."

First things first though. Ken has mailed me the troubleshooting guide for my SRS's. Have always suspected left has had a problem (one or more drivers overheating when pushed HARD), but had not pursued until now... didn't know, or seek, how to until I joined the Club.

It's been years since I've had "the itch" to upgrade, but now I've the time and the Club, and it's beginning to boil.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • byteme
    edited January 2003
    Wow, I skip a weekend and miss quite a bit!!

Great work Har! That's exactly what I was hoping for! Now, if I just didn't suck at soldering!

I've got one last question, I emailed all this same info to Mike Percey at www.percyaudio.com and he's also recommened replacing (upgrading) the remaining parts as well. Do you think it would make much difference if I were to do this or not? Otherwise, I'm working on someone local to do this for me but if that doesn't work, Jesse, does this look like something you could handle?

Thanks!
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Piece of cake, broham.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    byteme,

If you replacing the remaining parts as well, this will sure and absolutely sounding sweeter than the original "TL", because the parts are "new and updated ". This is more than Upgading...
    Modifiying as well.

Percy audio have a good and excellent parts exceeded to the
    manufacturer specs. Good Quality as well.:)

Let me know how much you will spend on it.

Har
  • byteme
    edited January 2003
    OK,

Well, I just ran down the list of Minimum upgrade cost and optional stuff as well and priced it from Percy Audio:

Minimum:

1.5ohm 12W Mills MRA-12 - $3.95 *2
    16uF Axon Cap - $5.25 *2
    .30mH 16ga Solo inductor - $7.25 *2

Subtotal - $32.90

Optional -
    33uF Axon cap - $8.95 *2
    12uF Solen cap - $5.95 *2

Subtotal - $31.80

Total $64.70. If I upgraded the internal wiring as Mr. Percy suggested it would be another $25, but I don't think I'll do that.

I don't think $65 (plus another $120 for the tweeters) is so terrible. If it's going to save me from wanting to spend over $1000 on new speakers then I'd say this is a bargain! My question would be do you think the extra $31.80 for the "optional" stuff will help sonically, and if I do that should I go the extra and do the cardas internal wiring as well?

Oh, Mr. Percy also recommended Auricaps for all the caps but that would add over $100 to the cost. For that they'd better install themselves!! Auricaps are overkill aren't they?

Thanks! This really looks like fun, I wish I wasn't so terrible at soldering....
  • har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by byteme:
    My question would be do you think the extra $31.80 for the "optional" stuff will help sonically, and if I do that should I go the extra and do the cardas internal wiring as well?

My answer is Yes, If I were you I will do that as well, since almost everything are going to replace.

I remember that raife, did his mods of his 1.2TL's x'over was said
    sonically improved with night and day difference.

Just keep as posted...

Har
  • byteme
    edited January 2003
    Har,

Thanks. I'll order up the whole kit then. I've got someone I work with to "help" me with this, but with the caveat that he teaches me while he does the work. Maybe I'll learn how to do this yet. I will keep you posted and also post pictures when its all done!

Thanks!
  • byteme
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Piece of cake, broham.

Jesse, thanks! If the local deal falls through I'll take you up on the offer. Maybe I'll end up learning something from all of this!
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Brian,

I'm with Har, do it all. Not that much money when you think about it. One other item you may want to consider replacing at some point are the posts, they have some nice gold plated ones.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the upgrades.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited January 2003
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Ah, look at those perky things, beautiful! :D

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Har,
    I've been following this with great interest. I'd support the new threads, but please don't leave us SRS owners out. After all, don't we have the most gain?

Are you also interested to upgrade your SRS to "TL" version? If so
    then I am more than willing to help...;) Lets roll...

Har
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Har,
    Interested, but as I said above.
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    First things first though. Ken has mailed me the troubleshooting guide for my SRS's. Have always suspected left has had a problem (one or more drivers overheating when pushed HARD), but had not pursued until now... didn't know, or seek, how to until I joined the Club.

Once I know where I am I'll get back to you...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• byteme
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Ah, look at those perky things, beautiful! :D
    Ya, pretty, but dang, $32 a pair!!:eek:

Aren't posts more cosmetic than anything?

These aren't as sexy but 1/2 the price - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=10757419&St=7869&St2=37335374&St3=30821778&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117947&DID=7
    wbt.bmp 99.9K
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Oh boy.... this could be good...

I can see it now in the archives, "the stripped-lampcord vs. solid-gold-post debates of 2004"...

Think I'll sit back, get comfy, and watch...:cool:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• byteme
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by har_navalta
    This posts (Tellurium ) are available at http://www.soniccraft.com/parts/cardas.htm

HA! Found them for $20 for the pair, so "only" $40 for both speakers. Compared to other decent posts not too bad, and as you've both said, if I'm doing it I may as well do it!

Thanks for helping empty my bank account!!

WHOOPS. The guy who "had" them for $20 just mailed me back and said he read the wrong row and they are really $40 for the pair so $80 for the stereo set. I guess I'll be going through Percy! If they ever get back to me......