another nail in HD DVD's coffin?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isnt that going to support HD?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    So a reduction in price of the Xbox HD-DVD is a bad sign for HD-DVD but if Sony reduces the price of the PS3 its a good thing for Blu-ray?
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2007
    "Microsoft trimmed the price of the player to $179 from $199 and said it will add five free movies for buyers between Aug. 1 and Sept. 30."

That's an awesome deal if you're getting 5 free movies too (mail in rebate no doubt).
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    So a reduction in price of the Xbox HD-DVD is a bad sign for HD-DVD but if Sony reduces the price of the PS3 its a good thing for Blu-ray?

I was thinking the same thing.:confused:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    I think he is saying that the Target announcement is the nail in the coffin.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited July 2007
    werent we all writing off blu ray a short time ago? lol :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    SACD is dead.......ooooops no, CD is dead..............ooooops no.....Allright Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead is Dead, at least I am pretty sure on that one.

From the clone wars to the format wars, too confuse the matter a bit more I see the LG universal is a universal but not exactly, they win we lose.

RT1
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »

I think there were a few of us trying to offer another viewpoint. ;)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    But the big question is Ted...is ELVIS dead???:eek: :D

SACD is dead.......ooooops no, CD is dead..............ooooops no.....Allright Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead is Dead, at least I am pretty sure on that one.

From the clone wars to the format wars, too confuse the matter a bit more I see the LG universal is a universal but not exactly, they win we lose.

RT1
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    I waited untill 2 months ago to jump on a format and I chose Blue and will stick with it, I'm pretty sure its comming out the winner and everything points to it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007

RT1

One of your top 10 post IMHO :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2007
    Isn't everyone sick and tired of format wars??? I know I am.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2007
    I hope HD DVD dies a horrible, bloody death and leaves hundreds of children without limbs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I think he is saying that the Target announcement is the nail in the coffin.

Thuggy, you the man. Someone around here actually reads the whole thing. Microsoft is showing some desperation, and trying to unload some inventory...HINT...HINT. I think this is more telling than the Target deal, but both can't be good for Hd DVD.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I hope HD DVD dies a horrible, bloody death and leaves hundreds of children without limbs.

:confused: If it wasn't for HD DVD, BD would still be making copies like the first gen 5th Element. BR has gone a long way, and it wouldn't be where it is today without HD DVD.

Long live HD DVD!:)
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    Just saw this posted 15 mins ago:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33103/118/
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Thuggy, you the man. Someone around here actually reads the whole thing. Microsoft is showing some desperation, and trying to unload some inventory...HINT...HINT. I think this is more telling than the Target deal, but both can't be good for Hd DVD.

Steve,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Target is still selling HD DVD movies, and players online. They will also continue to carry the add-on, so Target is NOT BD exclusive. Target will only be selling one model, the BDP-300 only. Also, Blu Ray is paying Target to have a Sony Blu Ray endcap. HD DVD, should be doing the same, kudos to BR for their marketing tactics. This goes about the same with beer, go to the grocery store and find a Budweiser beer endcap, doesn't mean Miller is going out of business, just means they paid for that spot.

BTW, I don't believe Target is going to sell to many BD players at $499, when their most expensive HD display is maybe $599?
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    let's not all jump to conclusions. i'm a proud member of the hd dvd camp. VERY PROUD. i may decide to cross over to the other side, but that has yet to be seen. NOTHING at the moment causes me the need to go bluray. the only reason i see myself doing so is, duh, they win. OR, if ps3 gets some badass games. i don't see either of those things happening just yet.

edit: and steve, i'm hoping you're wrong about m$ 'unloading' their hardware. i take it as not desperation, but a bit of retaliation in the form of dropped prices to get the hardware out to the masses, thus the masses purchase the media for said hardware. hd dvd is growing stronger, as is bluray. i never thought i'd see the day hd dvd finally gets some movies worth owning. but it's happening. hopefully i get my hddvd version of 300 today or tomorrow!!! even it has features exclusive to hddvd. online interactivity being one, and combo disc (hddvd and standard def) being number two.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    Isn't everyone sick and tired of format wars??? I know I am.Dan
    Nope not at all. I choose Blu-Ray from the get go. It clearly had better specs and support.
    HD-DVD "was" easily going to win because:
    #1 it came out first.........ok
    #2 **** industry support........Hi Def **** at $40 a pop (free on anybodies computer)......right.
    #3 the terminology "Blu-Ray" would confuse consumers........not really (it set it apart)
    #4 Xbox..............i will leave that one alone;)
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited July 2007
    I thought Sony would drop the ball on this, like they have in the past. I was wrong....

(but wait...I think I am going to dig up an old argument from the past)
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    I thought Sony would drop the ball on this, like they have in the past. I was wrong....
    All i know it that people rave about Sony 500lb boob tubes on this forum for a long time. Not much else respect for them in the rest of the HT market. (receivers and amps mainly)
    I am not aware of them being known for "dropping a ball"?:confused:
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    So, if Wally World adopts HD, then what?

I got an Oppo upconverter for Christmas, so I'm going to ba a spectator for a while anyways.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Nope not at all. I choose Blu-Ray from the get go. It clearly had better specs and support.
    HD-DVD "was" easily going to win because:
    #1 it came out first.........ok
    #2 **** industry support........Hi Def **** at $40 a pop (free on anybodies computer)......right.
    #3 the terminology "Blu-Ray" would confuse consumers........not really (it set it apart)
    #4 Xbox..............i will leave that one alone;)

Still at it, dickhead?
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    So, if Wally World adopts HD, then what?

I got an Oppo upconverter for Christmas, so I'm going to ba a spectator for a while anyways.

some of the hd dvd players are wonderful upconverters as well. plus, well, they play hd dvd's as a bonus. i don't think they're region-free, though. so i'll probably just keep my oppo, just in case...:)

edit: hd dvd's are region free by nature. i meant that the toshiba's are not region-free as far as sd dvd's go.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • PhantomOG
    edited July 2007
    its weird... I see all the Blu-Ray fan boys constantly attacking HD-DVD as if it killed their puppy, instead of just being happy with what they have, as the HD-DVD fan boys seem to. Why is that? Its really just pathetic.

I don't have either, and won't have either until one side wins. Sony and Toshiba are both stupid for not coming to an agreement years ago on this.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2007
    I'm not a proponent of either format. I'm waiting this one out. Just wanted to pass on some information for those of you in the decision stage. Put whatever spin on it you want, it's simply an FYI at this point.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    its weird... I see all the Blu-Ray fan boys constantly attacking HD-DVD as if it killed their puppy, instead of just being happy with what they have, as the HD-DVD fan boys seem to. Why is that? Its really just pathetic.
    ohskigod wrote: »

This time last year, when blu-ray was on the ropes, there was plenty of sony and blu-ray bashing going around. And I, like you, tried to cut through all the bs to give people some facts so they could make good purchasing decisions. Now that the fortunes are reversed, things seem to have swung the other way. I think you're doing a good job of keeping people honest on the blu-ray side. Keep it up. But I think there are still a lot of people on the fence that need the kind of info and comments that Steve posted. If we can move beyond the petty personal attacks, I think the forum would be better off...
    Sony and Toshiba are both stupid for not coming to an agreement years ago on this.

Agree...Agree...Agree!
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    BJ's Wholesale to back Blu-ray exclusively

Dropped down an hour ago.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33110/118/
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2007

I don't have either, and won't have either until one side wins. Sony and Toshiba are both stupid for not coming to an agreement years ago on this.

This is the most "fan-boy" statement Ive seen in the thread so far. Most people here are posting facts, if you want to thump "fan-boys" go hit the PS3 forums.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PhantomOG
    edited July 2007
    We're not reading the same thread or your personal bias blinds you. I don't care either way.