Old Polk tear drop speakers?

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was talking with someone at work as we were sitting at computers, and he saw I was browsing the Polk forum and mentioned he owns Polk speakers. We got to talking about speakers and audio and such, and it turns out he has RTA11 speakers in the house, which I'd love to hear at some point.

But, to get to the point of this thread, he also said he bought a LOT of equipment for his car way back when while he was still at home and never got around to installing it. Four 10" Nakamichi subs, two 8" Nakamichi subs, two huge Audiocontrol EQ/crossover networks, Alpine amplification, and Polk Audio teardrop mids and tweeters.

Now, the Audiocontrol stuff is neat and I may ask him about that at a later date, but what sparks my interest right now are those Polk speakers. He said the tweeter was about usual size and that the mid was teardrop shaped like the tweeters and only about 3 - 4 inches long.

Anybody know about these? That's the deal with them? When were they made? Is it just tweeter and midrange, no midbass driver? Crossover network between the tweeter and the mid? Any good? Worth anything? I could possibly be interested in buying them, as he has no use for them.

Lemme know whatever info you got!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    They were the first Polk speaker I had ever seen. They were pretty much just for highs. The car I saw had them mounted to the A-pillars.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Sweet. Thanks for the info.

After reading through the archives on Polk's site, they sound like they could be the Mm2200's, though they don't have pictures of that model up so I don't know if they're teardrop-shaped or not.

I remember the guy said you could surface mount them or flush mount them.

If he doesn't want much for them, I was thinking it could be interesting to set up a three-way system with them, but I'm not sure if I really wanna work with something that complicated.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2007
    Mobile Monitor series I think the tweeters were MM2200? The MM2200 also came in a component set IIRC. Kim from Polk CS would know for sure.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. I guess I might end up having to call, then.

I was banking on you and/or Vinnie telling me everything about them.

Do you think they'd be worth picking up and playing with to toy with a three-way setup?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    IIRC, they were just a polycarbonate dome mid and tweeter. Kind of cool for what they were but I liked the soft dome tweeters that others had better. They tended to be a little screechy sometimes. I had them in a Trans Am back in 88 or 90 I think it was. Of course, the windshield made them a little bright and so I relocated them to kind of a kick panel setup. Worked a lot better.

I also remember the Polk 10" subs they had at that point that went into a fairly small sealed enclosure that sounded amazing. I had 4 of them in the back of the T/A. It rocked. But, I swapped systems like I changed underwear it seems since I worked at/managed stores since about 1985. Ahhh....fun times.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • I still have a set today, yes they can be a touch on the screachy side but with the audio control & management systems of today they will rock the highs like no other.

you will want to take some time and be patient while eq'ing them in or i promise they won't live very long.

and by the way i just seen this forum and have had mine since the early 90's and they still sound great today
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Don't fret @oval442 , it's just @la2vegas way of saying, Welcome to the Forum! :smile:

BTW if you have some pics, post em. I'm curious.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yep me too post em up!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Yep, had them too in a 1990 Acura RSX. So they were models available in the late 80's. early 90's and the set I had came with mid bass, x-over and tweeter/mid pod. So just the pod is gonna have to have a high pass x-over installed on it if that is the only part of the original system he has. I had these in the front. Polk coaxes in the rear and (4) 6.5" subs mounted on the rear cargo cover tray inside a fiberglass enclosure. That was a sweet sounding set-up.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I used to have a pair of MM2255's in my 1982 AMC (remember American Motors???) Concord DL.
    BOY they sounded good!