Old Polk tear drop speakers?

audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,633
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was talking with someone at work as we were sitting at computers, and he saw I was browsing the Polk forum and mentioned he owns Polk speakers. We got to talking about speakers and audio and such, and it turns out he has RTA11 speakers in the house, which I'd love to hear at some point.

But, to get to the point of this thread, he also said he bought a LOT of equipment for his car way back when while he was still at home and never got around to installing it. Four 10" Nakamichi subs, two 8" Nakamichi subs, two huge Audiocontrol EQ/crossover networks, Alpine amplification, and Polk Audio teardrop mids and tweeters.

Now, the Audiocontrol stuff is neat and I may ask him about that at a later date, but what sparks my interest right now are those Polk speakers. He said the tweeter was about usual size and that the mid was teardrop shaped like the tweeters and only about 3 - 4 inches long.

Anybody know about these? That's the deal with them? When were they made? Is it just tweeter and midrange, no midbass driver? Crossover network between the tweeter and the mid? Any good? Worth anything? I could possibly be interested in buying them, as he has no use for them.

Lemme know whatever info you got!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?

Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.

In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Parasound P/HP-850, Parasound HCA-1000A, Klipsch RF-35
In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks, Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• PolkThugPolkThug Posts: 7,526
    edited June 2007
    They were the first Polk speaker I had ever seen. They were pretty much just for highs. The car I saw had them mounted to the A-pillars.
  • audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,633
    edited June 2007
    Sweet. Thanks for the info.

After reading through the archives on Polk's site, they sound like they could be the Mm2200's, though they don't have pictures of that model up so I don't know if they're teardrop-shaped or not.

I remember the guy said you could surface mount them or flush mount them.

If he doesn't want much for them, I was thinking it could be interesting to set up a three-way system with them, but I'm not sure if I really wanna work with something that complicated.

In Use
    In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks, Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car Audio]
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,688
    edited June 2007
    Mobile Monitor series I think the tweeters were MM2200? The MM2200 also came in a component set IIRC. Kim from Polk CS would know for sure.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audioblissaudiobliss Posts: 12,633
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. I guess I might end up having to call, then.

I was banking on you and/or Vinnie telling me everything about them.

Do you think they'd be worth picking up and playing with to toy with a three-way setup?

In Use
    In Storage
    [Home Audio]

[Car Audio]
  • avguytxavguytx Posts: 1,623
    edited June 2007
    IIRC, they were just a polycarbonate dome mid and tweeter. Kind of cool for what they were but I liked the soft dome tweeters that others had better. They tended to be a little screechy sometimes. I had them in a Trans Am back in 88 or 90 I think it was. Of course, the windshield made them a little bright and so I relocated them to kind of a kick panel setup. Worked a lot better.

I also remember the Polk 10" subs they had at that point that went into a fairly small sealed enclosure that sounded amazing. I had 4 of them in the back of the T/A. It rocked. But, I swapped systems like I changed underwear it seems since I worked at/managed stores since about 1985. Ahhh....fun times.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • oval442oval442 Posts: 1
    I still have a set today, yes they can be a touch on the screachy side but with the audio control & management systems of today they will rock the highs like no other.

you will want to take some time and be patient while eq'ing them in or i promise they won't live very long.

and by the way i just seen this forum and have had mine since the early 90's and they still sound great today
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,986
    oval442 wrote: »
    I still have a set today, yes they can be a touch on the screachy side but with the audio control & management systems of today they will rock the highs like no other.

you will want to take some time and be patient while eq'ing them in or i promise they won't live very long.

and by the way i just seen this forum and have had mine since the early 90's and they still sound great today

You do realize that you're giving advice on an 11 year old thread, right? :D
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • verbverb Posts: 4,056
    Don't fret @oval442 , it's just @la2vegas way of saying, Welcome to the Forum! :smile:

BTW if you have some pics, post em. I'm curious.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,766
    Yep me too post em up!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch