B&K Components, LTD.

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited January 2003 in Electronics
I have seen all sort of gear discussed in the Club, but never a mention of B&K's lines (of course search won't go on "B&K").

I have a now "old" AVP2000 that was an instant upgrade over my Yamaha C-2 several years ago, which I relagated to phono amp service until I bought a Vac-in-the-Box, another instant upgrade.

I'm looking to upgrade my AV pre-amp now and am pretty well in love with B&K's Reference 50 (true love doesn't come cheap, but it can be found at a discount).

Thoughts? Opinions? Biases? (On B&K... not my theory of love)
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    B&K is good stuff and I think everyone will agree. I see the name pop up every once in a while around here.

The thing is that most of use are looking for the best bang for the buck and B&K doesn't always have that element.

If you can afford it, good one ya. If I were you I would check out Rotel first though. IMO Rotel sounds just as good, usually at half the price.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited January 2003
    B&K,
    yes very good gear.B&K isn't bang for the buck.It's really good mid fi gear.There products are solid.
    The ref 50 is alot better then last years ref30.It's got balanced out,3 component ins,THX ULTRA2,new DAC's,new styling ,new blue lights and a new remote control.PL2 and Neo6 all the usual processing has been added to this model year.
    It goes for 3 grand.I've been seriously looking at it myself.
    If you search my posts,I talk about B&K often.It's on my list of what to upgrade 2.Rotel is making a real strong effort,but B&K is always right there.
    I don't think you can go wrong with B&K.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Mantis,
    I found an auth'd factory dealer that discounts and ships B&K. Offers roughly a 25% discount on the Ref 50... I'm going in.
    Let me know if you are interested in name...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dkinlaw
    dkinlaw Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    I purchased the Ref 30 on Ebay last week my Carver Amp never sound so good !!!

DanaK:lol:
  • mantis
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Mantis,
    I found an auth'd factory dealer that discounts and ships B&K. Offers roughly a 25% discount on the Ref 50... I'm going in.
    Let me know if you are interested in name...
    Thanks bud but I'm cool.I got my own type of good deals on B&K.The ref50 I have installed,played with,listened to,man thats one hell of a good preamp.I could go on and on.Dare I say silver?And blue lights?O man
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    at the ces, at the james speaker exhibit they used the new b&k receiver, it sounded great.
    they didnt need no high price seperate gear to sound fanstatic.
    in my opinion on what i listen to the james exhibit had the best sound.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    "I got my own type of good deals on B&K".... mantis

Mantis,
    Shoulda known a professional installer would have more "inside tracks" than us am's... Great access to used as well as new eq.
    You ever share them with the boys?:confused:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mantis
    edited January 2003
    I don't talk about the inside track.It stays the inside track.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    :(
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli