kenwood

glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited January 2003 in Electronics
is kenwood a good product?
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited January 2003
    There not a bad product.There sovern line is nice.I think for the money you can do better.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    But a lot of Kenwood gear is THX certified, that means something, right? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2003
    Kenwood L-07M mono blocks, 150 wpc, DC wideband design. The inspiration for Krell's mono blocks.

BTW, these are for sale at Classic Audio for $995.00.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited January 2003
    I can tell you that they built a great receiver in '78. My KR-9600 is still going strong! :D
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    My Kenwood has all the features and flexibility of its competitors in the same price range.

It has been thus far flawless in all aspects of operation. And I would rate it a solid value for a mid range HT rig like mine.

As for sound quality - it's just fine! I know separates should/would sound better, but there is nothing "wrong" with the way this receiver sounds. It drives my amp-friendly RTi line-up easily without much heat build-up at all. It never sounds strained or distorted or strident or harsh. Of course, it doesn't work that hard either, with my speaks all set to small.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    My Kenwood has all the features and flexibility of its competitors in the same price range.

It has been thus far flawless in all aspects of operation. And I would rate it a solid value for a mid range HT rig like mine.

As for sound quality - it's just fine! I know separates should/would sound better, but there is nothing "wrong" with the way this receiver sounds. It drives my amp-friendly RTi line-up easily without much heat build-up at all. It never sounds strained or distorted or strident or harsh. Of course, it doesn't work that hard either, with my speaks all set to small.

Doc

You not play it loud? my yammer feels like it is 100 fh when i play it at -33.00 on receiver continuous...and it is really workin.....POS yammer....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Sure, I play it loud for HT. But most of the volume in HT comes from the sub.

I would venture even at loud playback, the center/mains/surrounds are only averaging a few watts input - hardly enough for the amp to really break a sweat.

If I set the speaks to large and shut off the sub, it's a different story - amp heats up real quick.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    i got a kenwood 1090 vr and its been a good receiver and still is.
    had a problem with the volume control, had it fixed. its out dated for home theater now.haves a lot of good power.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited January 2003
    I agree, they made great receivers in the 70's, my dad's 76 KA-3500 still works flawlessly and I used it extensively recently when my new JVC receiver blew up. Perhaps that's a testament to the quality and durability of the product, maybe thats something to consider.