Should I get a bigger sub?

Options
Soccerplyr
Soccerplyr Posts: 160
I bought the RTi70's and now I think my sub might be too small. Currently I own the Velodyne CHT8 and my one year CC upgrade is about to expire so this is the problem. With everything calibraited (thanks Dr Spec) using my rat shack spl I've notice that I get little if any bass response when listening to music and I must crank it way past proper calibration (75 Ohms) to get anything from HT. I placed it in several different places (side wall middle, front between two mains, and behind left front firing into a corner). I'm not even a bass person, but I can turn it off and on and notice little if any difference. The 70's just seem to dominate the bass. So my question, is this normal (to not notice the difference with sub on or off) or do I need a larger sub?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

I'm also addicted to my SPL and use it before every movie, my friends think I'm a freek- but it's fun as h#$l to mess with.
Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
Harmony Hub
Sony VLP-HW40ES
Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
Oppo BDP-103
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Polk LSiM 705
Polk LSiM704c
Polk LSiM702F/X
SVS PB-2000
Post edited by Soccerplyr on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I've got a PSW650 with my Rti70's. Love it man. You might be able to find a 650 for cheap since they are going by the wayside soon. Give it a try. :)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    So my question, is this normal (to not notice the difference with sub on or off) or do I need a larger sub?
    First off - no not normal - should be like night and day. Check to see if that woofer is moving MAN! If it is and you crave the bass - then ya - it is time to kick it upa noch.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Make sure your speakers are set to small, and the sub is set to yes/on. Also, set phase to 0 degrees on the sub, if it is on the same wall as the mains.

That's a small sub for any room, really. I think upgrade-itis is needed at your place. At Scott's place, he can rearrange his hairstyle at will with his subbage.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS